will you wait till Indy 4 ?

Patrick

Hey guys, I don't have a DVD player and my parents don't want to buy one so I haven't checked out the price of the DVD set (If anybody knows can they say it in cdn?) and I was wondering should I try and force my parents into getting a DVD player or just wait 3 years while DVDs would overrun video cassettes and buy the Quadrology (That's not a word is it?)?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I personaly would wait. I hate when you buy a complete set and then they come out with one more. Take the terminator series. Nice boxed set of T-1 and 2, specials, behind the scenes...now T-3. You just know Hollywood will churn out a bigger boxed set. If this is just a normal purchase, go ahead, but if you are looking for a set, wait.

dmaster

Why not buy it right now ?

This stuff about waiting for the super-mega-edition-gold of a movie and never buy it is really a drag, for example I'm contemplating buying star trek dvds only now, that they are putting out some quality material with good remastering and top grade extras, so yes, I'm happy not to have bought all those initial "pack the movie, put up a menu and an interview with the cast" deals, so I made a good call to wait on this case.

But with boxed-sets I think its a bit different, they are not likely to go and rebuild a whole movie just to fit on the box-set, in most cases they just pack the movies on a single box with the only value to you being the low total cost of the package. If thye are really going for it, an extra cd is the most likely thing to happen, so this is the only situation you say "ah, hell, damn I should not have bought it, oh well"

Going back to Indy, you say, "in 3 years time" they will relaunch a new box-set, probably. But most likely is for them to make a quality Indy 4 - 2 disc release, just because the new movies are made with a bit more of insight that they are going to be released on DVD markets and so add-on material is now not a question of "ok, what do we have here that can go on the dvd", but more of an active effort to provide that material. The StarWars Ep1 extended making-of is a wondeful example of just that, one of the best making-ofs I've seen, just because it was done right there on top of it, everyday, everytime, not some random making-of-shot intercalated with post production interviews.

Back to the question, if you have a PC, why don't you consider to buy a CD-ROM player ? It makes for a good mid term solution for your DVD viewing and collection efforts.

As for buying the november indy box-set, well, personally, I will buy it right now because like you and all the others here, I'm an Indy Fan, and they are the best movies of all time. I'm not going to wait another 3 years to save some bucks when, finally, the movies that went through my mind when DVDs come out are finnaly shipping!!!

J

Jedi Daniel

I'll be buying the Indiana Jones Trilogy on DVD in November.

When Indiana Jones 4 comes out, I'll probably go see it but I don't think it will be terrific so I won't buy the DVD.

Patrick

so guy's, How much does a good cd rom player cost? I'm not sure are they like video cards and only can play a certain kind of DVD or something? I don't know. Make fun of me if you want for my naiviety of the subject. Thanks for your opinions.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
For your computer you need to buy a DVD-ROM...not a CD-ROM...in order to play DVD movies and games. They are not that expensive now-a-days, maybe $30.

nissan

Experienced opinion

I have truly been dissapointed through my several DVD purchases throughout the years and I can almos forsee a 4 movie DVD package come 2005.

I will wait until then to make my purchase, before then I'm positivew to rent the movies to watch how wonderful the job on remasterization was done.

I've been buying DVD's since the begining of time (just take into consideration tha my firs DVD was actually a DIVX/DVD player so you can know I am an innovation products buyer).

Som examples come to my mind:
- I bought TRON and then came a 20th anniversary edition with never-before-seen footage!!!
- I bought The lord of the rings and not even 3 months later comes an extended movie GIFT edition with more than 1 hour of extrafilm!!!
Fot the case of our beloved George Lucas (Don't take me wrong here, I think he's a Genius but precisely his strong point is merchandising) just consider how many times he's relaunched the Original star wars Trilogy (VHS of course)(separately, then in package, then in package with tweaks, etc.) so don't evben believe for a moment that they won't do it again in 2005 and package the whole 4 movies in a single case with even more additional footage (recently found by fortunate mistake maybe?)
Or do you really think that, for example there won't be a 6 movie package of all 6 Star Wars episodes, for example just as there was an episode I&II package?
- This thing will never end....there's always the promise of an HDTV version or something even higher quality...looming in the dark.

Patrick

Hey welcome the the Raven, Nissan! Thanks for all your opinions! Hmmm.... Which of you to take the advice from... Anyways thanks. Oh yeah, I think the waiting will overrun the buying them now... Unless I get them for my birthday which is November 26. I'm not sure. Well for the third time this post; Thank you.

Patrick

What? I wrote several times on it I wasn't favouring anything! I was telling you guy's to stop acting so dumb posting that Fullscreen people should be killed. Hey TV shows go to movies and actors create products for like cosmetics! No one goes saying they should be killed! Just stop saying crazy things like that! Oh yeah, by the way I love your new article "Rendering Rants". Seriously I haven't read any better in the newspaper ( I'm a paperboy, I should know :p)

QueZTone

Re: Experienced opinion

nissan said:

Som examples come to my mind:

- I bought The lord of the rings and not even 3 months later comes an extended movie GIFT edition with more than 1 hour of extrafilm!!!

well that one is just your own dumb fault imo :p i mean..even buying that gift edition is incompleteness. You knew the 2 other films were still coming and you know there'll be a fairly final boxset with all three films and extras

nissan

exactly!!!

My point exactly!!!

why should we buy 3 movies if a fourth one is coming and a boxed set will be coming.

By the way, Did you know there's actually four books written by Tolkien so even though the three meovies are finished and boxed on the DVD's there can still be a fourth movie comming..."The Hobbit" which is actually, guess what!! ...a Prequel.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Really J. R. R. Tolkien wrote several books pretaining to Middle Earth, but died before he could finish them all. His son, Christopher, finished them for him. In total there are something like 10 Middle Earth books.
(btw, the "prequel" to The Hobbit is The Silmarillion)
Now that we are off topic...........

I will buy the DVD set when it comes out. Why? Because, unlike the Star Wars films, when Indy IV does come out to DVD it will most likely be bundled together with the current set without any changes to the original DVD's. I would suspect that the fourth film will be a two disc set anyway. I think that you risk very little if you were to buy the set now and wait for IV.

Marjolein

I preordered the box set, because I do not want to wait for at least another 2 years. I want to have those great movies in DVD format now. ;) If I like Indy 4, I might buy the possible future boxset as well.