Video Games

Finn

Staff member
Medal of Honor... the ratings kinda dropped in my book after playing CoD. It captures the feel of being in the middle of war perhaps most effectively out of all the games I've played.

Even though it's still a long shot from being in the real thing, I assume.

Anyway, time to gather up some more memories... let's list some of our most memorable gaming moments this far. I mean single experiences in levels or secquences that have particularly impressed you.

I can come up with the following from the recent memory with thinking quickly...

Call of Duty: the level where you'll have to pass the enemy lines in a "French tin can". It was extremely enjoyable to watch the Krauts biting dust as you speed past 'em, spraying bullets in their way, enchanced with some athmosphere-creating comments by your teammates. "Drive faster!" "I AM driving faster!"

Half-Life 2: The whole watergiro secquence. Despite being a lengthy one, I never got that "can't this damn thing end already" -feeling. It was just... whoa.

Max Payne 2: Shooting the very first baddie in the game. Watching him stumple backwards in slo-mo as the bullets hit him, toppling the shelf and all the debris piling on him... year ago, it felt as the ultimate coolest thing one has seen on computer screen... (not anymore, though, it's been a good year).

Entering the nostalgy category... think anything from FoA.

Last edited:

nOOb

well, there was a car chase level or two in Pacific Assault, made me think of CoD when i played that. the highlight of the game was Pearl Harbor of course, far better then the version in Rising Sun for PS2. there was also a couple of creepy swamp levels, very tense. (didn't help when dead Marines floated down the stream ala Windtalkers)

Far Cry - the river chase, hang gliding, zooming around in a hummer with mercs chasing me, leaping over a waterfall with Trigens about to dismember me from behind, fighting off a blackhawk chopper with a rocket launcher while on a sinking ship- that game is full of wow moments.

Bloodrayne - running along a wooden bridge that's on fire, there's Stukas dropping bombs, behind there's a mech firing rockets and a gatling gun at me, and at the end of the bridge there's a dozen nazi troops, the ones on foot with Panzershrecks, and the ones with jetpacks carrying machine guns.

Call of Duty United Offensive - loved the B-17 bomber mission, that was just awesome.

Thief 3 - there were some great scary moments in that game, especially the Cradle mission. i'm sneaking through a haunted orphanage/mental hospital, going up a flight of stairs, and all of a sudden i hear footsteps clattering up behind me...boy i jumped out of my chair when that happened. i ran like heck for the top, whipped around with my knife out- nothing there.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
nOOb said:
Far Cry - the river chase, hang gliding, zooming around in a hummer with mercs chasing me, leaping over a waterfall with Trigens about to dismember me from behind, fighting off a blackhawk chopper with a rocket launcher while on a sinking ship- that game is full of wow moments.
Just as a sidenote, it's funny how some who haven't even played HL2 argue that nothing in that game can beat some of the top moments from Far Cry.

...not going to say my personal comment to this, but I agree with you that those were extremely thrilling moments. But so is trying to avoid bombs dropped by a chopper in a narrow canale, talk to extremely well-animated people in an Orwellian city setting... not to mention using the gravity gun to cut a zombie in half with a loose buzzsaw blade. You can't help but grin.

nOOb

well, i'm keeping an open mind. i keep hearing about the gravity gun and the Havoc physics, and it's sounding awesome. do the sawblades actually dismember enemies?

also i read somewhere you can use the gun to pick up and hold something like a trashcan or car under you and then make it push you into the air - i think the guy who did it managed to float upward hundreds of feet.

Finn

Staff member
Dunno 'bout that jumping thingy, but it could be possible, knowing the engine. As for hit points go, the enemies do react to where you shoot them (touch the arm that's been shot, etc), and dismembering seems to work... haven't seen any arms cut off (the things you blast at them are often in vertical positions, but one particular moment was when a commando was standing on the top of the stairs firing at me and I was below, had the GG plus a blade and aimed high... the body stumpled against a wall as his head came bouncing down the stairs. Gory.

Last edited:

nOOb

i completely forgot to ask, Finn, did you have trouble with the whole Steam signup bit? i was looking on Amazon.com last night and the game is getting 3 and a half stars out of 5 because of all these negative reviews screaming that it took them hours to log on/sign up, or it didn't work at all, etc. :eek:

Finn

Staff member
Nope, getting Steamed (pun intended) caused me no trouble at all. Of course, it causes bit of a delay to getting the game started, but nothing that would make me tear any hairs off.

Of course, the servers must have been pretty overloaded between 16th and 18th day as people rushed in to reg their game. What I've heard, Valve's sharpened up some of the probs after that, and some people simply have the problems in their own end (firewall settings, likely) than in the other. Have no fear.

Katarn07

Been a while since I've visited, got alot to say too....

Psi Ops for the XBOX; rent it all who have one! It's your average 3rd person shooter with a great twist that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd :)

Anyone have a DS? I picked mine up launch day (that'd be last Sunday) and it is awesome. The launch titles aren't anything special but next year will hold some gems that are sure to become classics. The only launch title I got was Mario 64 DS, a port of the original N64 game which is probably the last good Mario game they've made. I hear Mario 128 is going to be the next Mario adventure and it makes me wish I had a GameCube or whatever new Nintendo console it'll be on.

I've been hitting Gamespot and IGN quite often scrounging up some titles for my Christmas wishlist. Here it is:

XBOX:

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Halo
Halo 2
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Gameboy Advance:

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
Final Fantasy 1 & 2 - Dawn of Souls
Legend of Zelda
Pokemon FireRed

As you can see, I love my RPGs, even the childish yet oh so addicitive Pokemon :p

That's just what I want for Christmas. There are a few other games I'll be sure to get.

XBOX:

Brothers in Arms (have you seen the newest trailer?! Holy crap that looks better than ever!)
Pariah

DS:

Any RPGs or RTSs that'll catch my eye, hopefully a SW flight sim or FPS will show up as well. Definately Mario Bros DS, the first sidescrolling Mario adventure since Mario World :D

westford

I finished Manhunt and Emperors Tomb this month, so I'm in need of something new. Will be getting GTA San Andreas when I move down south, although I might have to slip my boyfriend sleeping pills if I want a go (he's desperate to play that and the new PES game, but I have the PS2 up here :p ).

QueZTone

Sid Meiers' Pirates
Great adventureous game! Turned a lot of cities into Dutch settlements :whip: :D Eventuelly the game wears off, even though it's a very diverse game with all sorts of things: sea battles, sword duelling, dancing with governor's daughters, trading, pirate hunting, attacking a city strategically and probably some more. But even though there are many different things there is little depth to each aspect of the game. But definitly worth a play and I put some good hours in it :)

Half Life 2
Great game. Enough said.

Splinter Cell 2
Yes, I loved Splinter Cell and I loved SC2. The stealthy action just doesn't wear off. Every scene and situation is different and requires some tactical thinking and precise timing to get things right. The only thing this series need is a more decent story. Already looking forward to SC3.

Need For Speed : Underground 2
Great graphics, great speed. But the arcade style of this racing really frustrates me. I got pretty far into the game when I finally gave up because it just wasn't fun anymore. If you're ahead the opponents cars just go insanely fast and they catch up with you in no time. Then if they're ahead they suddenly go as slow as snails. Booyah to that.

Order of quality of these games?
Half Life 2
Splinter Cell 2
Pirates
NFSU2

Indydan13

I recently recieved The Lord Of the Rings: The Third Age for ps2. It is an amazing game. I know its an RPG, but you would never guess. For the most part, you can wander around certain areas for as long as you like without worrying if time is going to run out. Turn based system is much better than the chaotic fights in Return of the King and Two Towers, even though they were fun.

Indyologist

Cool! Nice to know that this thread is going stong. I recently purchased Dead to Rights, House of the Dead III, Atari Anthology and Fable. All at good prices!

Indyologist

I recently got "House of the Dead" and "Fable" for my XBox system. Do any of you have these games? What do you think of them?

Tennessee R

I really liked Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.
That just is my style of game. Chaos Theory, the 'I believe' trailer is so completely exellent. Shame that it seems they are going to make it M rating. I really was looking forward to it.

Also, Need For Speed U2.
And I did unlock the majority of the parts and city, and cars, etc. But finally, it became a little too monotinous, and I slacked off for a while.

If any of ya'll like the Dukes of Hazzard, you should try Dukes of Hazzard Return of the General Lee. A little short, but really varied game.

KDuncan

Yes, this is an old topic, but I have something to contribute.

I play Crash Bandioot which started around 1996. It is still having new games coming out, and I think it's the best game series in the world. Does anyone else play it?

IndyBuff

KDuncan said:
Yes, this is an old topic, but I have something to contribute.

I play Crash Bandioot which started around 1996. It is still having new games coming out, and I think it's the best game series in the world. Does anyone else play it?

I played a little of CB when I first came out but that was years ago so I can't really comment without playing more of it.

I'm excited about the new Mario baseball game coming out later this month. I don't buy a lot of games but I think I'll get this one. Every time I've played a demo of it I've had fun and I'm not even a baseball fan. :)

Indyologist

This thread I created a while ago got many, many replies, so I thought I'd start it up again. Be sure to read the first entry to give you ideas for replies.

That being said,

*** BUMP ***