Get Out To Vote!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
For those in the US who have been living under a rock 1000 miles from civilization, today (Nov. 2nd) is the America's Election Day.

For all American citizens who are over 18 and registered. PLEASE GET OUT AND VOTE!
We here at the Raven all have different opinions who should win and why. However, your opinion doesn't make one iota of difference if you don't express yourself in the voting booth.

Vote for John Kerry, George W. Bush, Ralph Nader, or any of the five or so Independents. Just, whatever you do today, vote.

Voting is not a right, it is a duty. There are millions (no billions) of other people out there who would gladly give their lives for our sacred privilage of choosing our own fate.

Remember that no matter which way you choose to go (Red, Blue, or White) this country is going to change...how do you want to be remembered for helping that change?

Lon

I'd like to make an addition. Please make an EDUCATED vote. I don't care who you vote for as long as you know who the candidates are and what their position is on issues in your area. Voting for Bush just because he's the incumbent or voting for Kerry just because he isn't Bush are not good reasons to go to the polls. Voting just isn't going in and clicking buttons or punching cards, you have to do a little research. If you have not done that research, please stay home.

Finn

Staff member
I'll have to disagree with you Lon - voting is your given right to express your opinion, and it shouldn't matter what kind of opinion it is. The result of the election should really picture the will of whole people, not just the one of those who are more or less intelligent.

I bet that majority of even those who don't go out and vote have some kind of opinion who they'd be pleased to see getting elected. Restricting those with a possible misled opinion from voting is worse wrong-doing for democracy than the result that might be gained thanks to those "wrong" views.

Magda

Some people go to the polls and vote for whoever has the nicest name because they have no bloody clue as to who the candidates are. Is that how we should base our vote on? Lon isn't talking about who is more intelligent. I, for one, would rather have informed people go out and vote than morons who do not know who is running and what they stand for.

Not believing me? Try asking the eighteen-year-olds who simply shrug and say they don't care who wins. You shouldn't be surprised how many American teenagers are apathetic towards the United States' and world-wide events.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
My point wasn't about intelligence. It was about how the opinion was gained. Of course, I hope too that people would find out more about the candidates before making their decision, but in general you serve the democracy if you express your opinion by voting, no matter how you've got it.

Lon

I agree. But I think the democracy is BETTER served by an informed vote. Many of these "get out the vote" drives don't encourage people to research candidates. I don't want someone going in to vote "just because they can" and voting for a candidate just because they saw their campaign sign in a yard. That's not expressing your opinion.

Original Raider

Finn said:
I'll have to disagree with you Lon - voting is your given right to express your opinion, and it shouldn't matter what kind of opinion it is.

I couldnt agree with you more Finn: just get out today and vote, just the act of participation alone guarantees victory for not just one candidate, but the whole country.

HovitosKing

Finn said:
I'll have to disagree with you Lon - voting is your given right to express your opinion

Oh sure, let's put the future of our country in the hands of the uninformed, uninterested, or ignorant if the liberal media can just motivate them to get off the couch. Great philosophy. And I disagree, voting is a priviledge. One that commands a great responsibility, which is making sure you're informed about your decision. Period.

Pale Horse

Staff member
HovitosKing said:
voting is a priviledge

Now if that's not a direct throw back to some of the single side views of America's Founding Fathers, I don't know what is. :p

HovitosKing

All I'm saying is, the freedom to vote is not a right enjoyed everywhere in the world. Americans tend to believe they are entitled, that many freedoms or privilidges are rights, and they take them for granted. I know that freedom to vote should be an innate human right, but the fact is it isn't. I don't take it lightly, or for granted. Nobody should.