Superhero movie discontent

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Besides, the multiple pages ensure lots ad traffic revenue to pay for us moderators.

Can you compile all Raiders112390's hair and ageing related threads? The resulting hairball might attract some lucrative beauty product ads.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
The remaining patrons here, those who insist on staying for final call, have nobody to blame except themselves.
Right. The honus is on Ravenheads, themselves, and where the heart of the matter lies, however, the actions of some bygone members started a 'domino effect'.(n)

As you well know, Sab, my aversion stems from how much attention Spandex Men get here instead of adventure tales, WW2-period movies, etc. (it's highly doubtful that swarms of Indiana Jones threads are infestin' Batman forums) so it's bafflin' why certain members have a lot to say about crime-fightin' caped crusaders but not much (or NOTHING in some cases) about Indy-related things.:confused: Havin' a multitude of superhero threads serves as a springboard for encouragin' & attractin' more of those same types...

For instance, there's a guy (let's call him Schmuck) with 92% of his posts about superheroes...and there are/were many more people like him. Two months ago, some weirdo (let's call him Schlemiel) joined The Raven and made his only posts in less than 45 mins., each one about superheroes and none about Indy. He also started 2 threads; one about "Tin Man 4" and the other about "Green Moron 2", neither of which are even in pre-production yet!:eek: They are merely his own fantasizing. What entices detrimental types like Schmuck & Schlemiel to join here?:confused:

---
So now we have 2 threads about 2 movies that don't exist, made by some clown who came and left in 1 hour.:rolleyes: Worth noting is that a large chunk of Schlemiel's "Tin Man 4" thread concerns "Tin Man 3". Likewise, many posts in the "Tin Man 3" thread were about "Tin Man 2". The "Tin Man 2" thread had people giving opinions on "Tin Man 1".

Look at the most recent "Captain Frisbee" thread. Right out of the gate, it turned into a conversation about the previous film and the comics. In the "Z-Men Organs: Wankerine" thread, a lot of people were talking about all of the other "Z-Men" flicks.

The thread, "Batman Films", was created because the "Dork Knight" thread was becoming a conversation about earlier Batcrap movies. This other 'new' Batcrap thread also discussed the comics & cartoons and...surprise, surprise...eventually turned into a discussion involving Nolan's "Dork Knight" movies. A complete full circle winding up where it began.:rolleyes:

Then, of course, talk about other Marvel characters and Avengers movies cross over into the various related threads so the overlap is far from miniscule.

Within many of these sequel/"reboot"/stand-alone threads, the previous entries are often discussed along with their respective comic books & (sometimes) cartoon shows so each one typically turns into a general thread about that particular character/series anyway.

See the pattern, folks?:gun:

Stoo

Stoo said:
Instead of 4, have 1 general thread for the leotard nerd with a severe case of arachnophelia.
A mistake in my opening post: There are actually *6* Spider-Muffin threads (not 4).
Montana Smith said:
The main bar is still strictly a leather and whip establishment.

But out back there are rooms to cater for almost every perversion imaginable. Some perversions are so specific that you have to set aside extra rooms for them. :p
Unfortunately, those fetishes are actually MORE VISIBLE in the MAIN BAR than they are in the rooms behind the back rooms where they belong.

Take a look at these lopsided numbers:

Presently, the word, ?Batman?, is mentioned in 661 threads.
295 threads are in the Off-Topic section = 45%
366 threads in Indiana Jones sections = 55%

"Superman" is mentioned in 413 threads.
163 threads are in the Off-Topic section = 39%
250 threads in Indiana Jones sections = 61%

"Spider-man" is mentioned in 258 threads.
106 threads are in the Off-Topic section = 41%
152 threads in Indiana Jones sections = 59%

In each case, MORE THAN HALF (55-61%) of each total is in topics about INDIANA JONES! :eek: :eek: :eek:

A joke can be made about how superhero fans can't keep things in their pants...but I won't say it.;)

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
(it's highly doubtful that swarms of Indiana Jones threads are infestin' Batman forums) so it's bafflin' why certain members have a lot to say about crime-fightin' caped crusaders but not much (or NOTHING in some cases) about Indy-related things.:confused: Havin' a multitude of superhero threads serves as a springboard for encouragin' & attractin' more of those same types...
If our dear Man in the Hat was as toted thing around the media as all these caped crusaders, I'm sure he would be worth a plenty of threads in more comic book -oriented communities as well. But alas, there are very little Indy films or other products coming out as of now, as opposed to all these comic book pieces. Not so bafflin' at all, really.

If some folks prefer to talk more about superheroes than Indiana Jones despite this being an Indy fan community, it doesn't really tell anything about their preferred fandom. It simply reveals that currently more natural talking points exist about one topic than another. Now, I pretty much religiously read almost every word written in here. But I rarely feel the urge to comment, because I feel that I would mostly be repeating myself from years long past - which means I'm mostly commenting on non-Indy related things too, these days. Are you going to question my fandom next?

And finally, no matter what your personal preference might be, we're a community for all people with even the slightest interest towards the Man in the Hat, not a ring of hardcore circle-jerkers. So if these cats wish to talk about what's hot & popular, we shouldn't certainly create an impression that's allowed, and then yank it away. Of course, it'd feel strange if we had people coming in who would not have the slightest interest towards Dr. Jones at all and were in simply for these additional features, but given how the Internet is full of communities dedicated to pretty much any kind of fandom, why would they still be coming here is pretty much beyond me. (If it's the company, we're certainly flattered.)

So take a chill pill, gramps. It's attitude like yours that certainly isn't helping to enliven the discussion in here - and that goes to both the sideshows and the main course.

Stoo

Finn said:
Are you going to question my fandom next?
Certainly not. Why would I? You're a moderator at an Indiana Jones website. That fact speaks for itself.
Finn said:
So take a chill pill, gramps. It's attitude like yours that certainly isn't helping to enliven the discussion in here...
Sure thing, punk.;) Which discussions do I NOT help "enliven"? The superhero topics?

This FEEDBACK section exists for a reason, right? Or is it just for posture & show?:confused:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Seemingly Random Movie Quote of the Day

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bOnRHAyXqYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Sure thing, punk.;) Which discussions do I NOT help "enliven"? The superhero topics?
I wasn't talking about your actions, those have and no doubt keep doing great services to this community. I was talking about your attitude. Acting holier-than-thou towards certain peoples' secondary interests (from this board's perspective) may also lessen their enthusiasm when it comes to discussing the primary ones.

Stoo said:
This FEEDBACK section exists for a reason, right? Or is it just for posture & show?:confused:
Constructive feedback is one thing. But when you dress it in constant mockery towards the subject, it certainly becomes difficult to tell if they are ideas of a considerate, thoughtful person or simple temper tantrums.

As much as we all value everything you've done... if you want us to consider your suggestions, you could try and present them in form that actually makes us want to consider them. Seriously, I'm admitting that maybe we could do a bit of housekeeping here, and may eventually get to that, but right now those urges are heavily overridden by the urge to just tell you to can it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's really no need to inform the mods some obsessive weirdness is going on in one forum or another. We know. When the "Film Classics" forum (2003) became "Films" in 2006 it invited one thread for pretty much any movie out there. Including occasional editorials like this, which is why I'm kicking it over there.

I've mostly shrugged at the superhero bubble but held my tongue since I'm not the target audience. It's just too much muchness. Imagine if Raiders was made today in its mold: "Long ago, a Hebrew army which carried an ark before it was invincible." Soldiers falling, walls crumbling. Smash cut to: Indy whipping a gun from Barranca's hand. Etcetera.

I have fond memories of 1978 Superman but admit the Batman film franchise has been better managed and deserves praise. Despite the reported legions of Bat-fans here, however, my attempt to geek out over the Batman Heptalogy was not favorably met. Go figure.

Stoo

Moedred said:
When the "Film Classics" forum (2003) became "Films" in 2006 it invited one thread for pretty much any movie out there. Including occasional editorials like this, which is why I'm kicking it over there.
With all due respect, Moedred, I highly disagree with your decision of moving this thread to the Films section & retitling it as "Superhero movie discontent" for 3 reasons:

1) The topic isn't about the films, themselves. It's a moderating issue concerning the AMOUNT of threads dedicated to them.

2) Of all the superhero films made within the last decade, I've enjoyed 4 out of the 5* that I've seen so "discontent" with the actual movies doesn't apply.

3) Had I written your new title, capital "M" and "D" would've been used for "movie" and "discontent" (not lower case letters).

It would be very much appreciated if you could, please, return it to the Feedback section with the original title, "Superhero Thread Compilation". :hat:

Liked - Ang Lee's "Green Moron"
Liked - Sam Raimi's "Spider-Muffin 1"
Liked - "Tin Man 1"
Liked - "Captain Frisbee 1"
Hated - "The Clown and the Bat"

Finn said:
I wasn't talking about your actions, those have and no doubt keep doing great services to this community. I was talking about your attitude. Acting holier-than-thou towards certain peoples' secondary interests (from this board's perspective) may also lessen their enthusiasm when it comes to discussing the primary ones.
I don't understand how & why my mockery of superheroes could possibly curtail people from talking about Indiana Jones & adventure films.
Finn said:
Constructive feedback is one thing. But when you dress it in constant mockery towards the subject, it certainly becomes difficult to tell if they are ideas of a considerate, thoughtful person or simple temper tantrums.

As much as we all value everything you've done... if you want us to consider your suggestions, you could try and present them in form that actually makes us want to consider them. Seriously, I'm admitting that maybe we could do a bit of housekeeping here, and may eventually get to that, but right now those urges are heavily overridden by the urge to just tell you to can it.
As I said before, the mockery is TEASING! I've called Indiana Jones a goofball, wacky, etc. on several occasions here (even Harrison Ford has said that he doesn't want Indy "sh!t" in his house and recently called Indy an "idiot/moron"). Poking fun at Muscle-Men-In-Tight-Costumes shouldn't be such a big deal.
Attila the Professor said:
Oh, and poor Sherlock Holmes, who is the fictional character portrayed with the greatest frequency on film, has one thread. Never mind that he's the major character probably most similar to Indiana Jones in the form and structure of his universe.

All of which is to say, some of these mergers probably can happen, but not all of them. Some of them probably should happen.
Indeed. The Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan threads are perfect examples of all-encompassing topics (and "2009" was dropped from Sherlock's thread title for this very reason).

More good examples:

- No thread about "Prometheus" exists because the build-up & reviews were smartly made in the general, "Alien Series".

- Tricklings about Bond 24 have already started in the general "James Bond" topic.

- Even my buddy, Kongisking, had the wisdom to create a thread for ALL of the "Terminator" films during the time that #4 was being made.

In my opinion, cases like these should be the norm, not the exceptions. Merging together strings of corresponding threads puts all the related topics under one roof and fans of whatever series/character could have a single, go-to place for any & all conversation.

Don't superhero fans want the same thing?:confused: As far as I'm aware, matching socks aren't normally kept in different drawers.

---
Borrowing from the cliffhanger endings of the '60s "Batman" show...

Will Stoo's Suggestions be Smashed to Smithereens?
Will this Feud Finish with a Friendly Finale?
Can the Crew be Convinced of Compiling Corresponding Conversations?

Tune in Next Time for another exciting episode of...RAVEN FEEDBACK!
...Same BAT-time! ...Same BAT-channel!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
2) Of all the superhero films made within the last decade, I've enjoyed 4 out of the 5* that I've seen so "discontent" with the actual movies doesn't apply.

You finally came out of the closet! :whip:

An 80% positive rating. That's not bad. Now you have to go and watch all the others. :p

As far as I'm aware, matching socks aren't normally kept in different drawers.

Some socks are so criminally insane that your drawers want nothing to do with them.

Joker_Socks_seen_with_Shoes.jpg

Stoo said:
It would be very much appreciated if you could, please, return it to the Feedback section with the original title, "Superhero Thread Compilation". :hat:

Borrowing from the cliffhanger endings of the '60s "Batman" show...

Will Stoo's Suggestions be Smashed to Smithereens?
Will this Feud Finish with a Friendly Finale?
Can the Crew be Convinced of Compiling Corresponding Conversations?

Tune in Next Time for another exciting episode of...RAVEN FEEDBACK!
...Same BAT-time! ...Same BAT-channel!

198112.gif

kongisking

I laughed for a solid minute, Horse.

I've been kind of trying to shut up on this topic ever since my public tantrum, because yes, I have come to an understanding with Stoo, one that I dearly hope sticks this time. I get his logic on this much better than before, and also, now that I'm aware his comments are meant as snarky teasing, I'm not so huffed up. I will say this, though: I'm now not really opposed to combining non-Indy film series in single threads. It actually is kind of a smart idea.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
I don't understand how & why my mockery of superheroes could possibly curtail people from talking about Indiana Jones & adventure films.
Because...

Stoo said:
As I said before, the mockery is TEASING! I've called Indiana Jones a goofball, wacky, etc. on several occasions here (even Harrison Ford has said that he doesn't want Indy "sh!t" in his house and recently called Indy an "idiot/moron"). Poking fun at Muscle-Men-In-Tight-Costumes shouldn't be such a big deal.
...of man being prone to misunderstand things.

You want to make a serious suggestion about something, make it a serious suggestion about something. If people think you're trying dictate the way they should think, it is not exactly a good way to generate enthusiasm. Anywhere. Whether you meant it or not.

If you're confident you're in a company that gets the joke, then it's whole another ballpark.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
If you're confident you're in a company that gets the joke, then it's whole another ballpark.

Pale Horse said:
Dear Heavens, can we stop with all the Miley Cyrus Wrecking Ball references. It doesn't even belong in this thread!

kongisking said:
I laughed for a solid minute, Horse.

kongisking said:
A real man wears a leather jacket and a felt hat while going on adventures...

A real man would have stopped running away and hopped up onto the ball with Miley.

I know.

Because I spent a solid ten minutes Googling.

I don't know if we're going to stay with superhero movie discontent, or whether we'll be going back to the question of merging. So, yes I have some discontent about superhero movies, and yes some threads might be better merged (for cases where a series of films is so interlinked that it's hard to tell them apart).

I laughed, too, Mr. Horse! (y)

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Some socks are so criminally insane that your drawers want nothing to do with them.

Joker_Socks_seen_with_Shoes.jpg
While those socks aren't symmetrical, they do match and belong in the same drawer.:p
King Kong said:
I've been kind of trying to shut up on this topic ever since my public tantrum, because yes, I have come to an understanding with Stoo, one that I dearly hope sticks this time. I get his logic on this much better than before, and also, now that I'm aware his comments are meant as snarky teasing, I'm not so huffed up. I will say this, though: I'm now not really opposed to combining non-Indy film series in single threads. It actually is kind of a smart idea.
I'm happy that you've come back to this thread, Kong, and you'll always have a friend in me.:) It's nice to know that you, nor anybody participating in this thread, have any major objections to the merging issue.
Finn said:
Because...

...of man being prone to misunderstand things.

You want to make a serious suggestion about something, make it a serious suggestion about something. If people think you're trying dictate the way they should think, it is not exactly a good way to generate enthusiasm. Anywhere. Whether you meant it or not.

:confused: I'm not trying to "dictate" what people should think about the superhero genre and don't know how you've come to that conclusion. (Not to mention that you seem to be implying that I hold some kind of super-power of influence.) People are free to like/hate anything they want to but you have to admit that it's weird for some folks to join up and only talk about caped crusaders. A new one has just arrived, by the way. His very 1st & only post, so far, is in the "Goldilocks 2" thread.

Anyway, I still can't fathom how making fun of superheroes would decrease people's enthusiasm for talking about Indy. It's a strange notion.

Here's a "serious suggestion":
It would make better sense if this thread was returned to the Feedback section with its original title, "Superhero Thread Compilation". It doesn't belong in the Films section because it is specifically about The Raven discussion forum.
Finn said:
Seriously, I'm admitting that maybe we could do a bit of housekeeping here, and may eventually get to that,...
Pass me the broom temporarily and I'll do the sweeping in 4 Fantastic minutes!:p

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
I'm not trying to "dictate" what people should think about the superhero genre and don't know how you've come to that conclusion.
*Sigh* Thick today, are we? Let's see, how should I put this...

It's not about your intentions. You may say say thing X intending it to be a joke, leading to outcome Y. However, some people don't get the joke, which doesn't lead to outcome Y but outcome Z. I haven't come to a single conclusion, erroneous or right. I'm just trying to warn you that people may end up arriving at former if they misinterpret the signs you posted.

Try to understand: You can't just single-mindedly assume everybody will get message in the manner you intended. Yes, it's not entirely your fault if people misinterpret, but you can certainly try and avoid it by saving the teasing for situations where you don't have ulterior motives. Of course, it's (hopefully) far more unlikely now that you've told us what it's all about, but in an ideal situation one doesn't have to explain the joke in the first place.

Stoo

Finn said:
Try to understand: You can't just single-mindedly assume everybody will get message in the manner you intended.
Just so you're aware, I don't assume that and never did. That aside, none of your replies have explained the proposition that making fun of superheroes could lead to less enthusiasm for talking about Indiana Jones.

As Robin, the Boy Wonder might say: "Holy Thread Derailment, Batman!"

P.S. Can you, please, move this thread back to Feedback forum with its original title?
Montana Smith said:
...yes some threads might be better merged (for cases where a series of films is so interlinked that it's hard to tell them apart).
(y) ♫ ♪ "Hop on the bus, Gus. Make a new plan, Stan. Don't need to discuss mu-u-u-u-ch..." ♪ ♫

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
Can you, please, move this thread back to Feedback forum with its original title?
When much of the superhero hype blows over I suspect some will consider films like Iron Man and Dark Knight modern classics of western cinema, and wish to revisit those threads. Meanwhile, you have dead ends like Spider Man 3 which conclude the story. Then films like Superman Returns and The Hulk which may or may not be part of a larger story depending on whom you ask.

For the sake of the Films forum, one thread per film works nicely. Otherwise it's a slippery slope. I for instance consider Casino Royale 1967 & 2006 the same ball of wax but wouldn't lump those films together, for the sake of folks who think otherwise.