Blade Runner

"Scott has not edited out the question of Deckard being a replicant."
In an interview on the subject from a couple of years ago, he said that's exactly what he was doing.... AFAHWC, Deckard was unquestionably a replicant....

I think the idea is ridiculous.... IF it has to be a factor in the story (It wasn't in the book) it's way better for story if it's vague and unanswered...

"Deckard's pupils shone red during one scene"
What scene was that?

"still refuted by Ford is it not?"
Fords opinion matters even less that Scotts.....

deckard24

As for Deckard being a replicant the question is most certainly there, but it's still ambiguous to me. If I remember correctly, the original film had the Ford narration and the flying over the lush green landscape ending, with Deckard just being a guy who fell in love with a replicant(as Herr Gruber mentioned). Then in the Director's Cut it's hinted at Deckard being a replicant, but at the same time left open. The version playing in theaters is the same as the Director's Cut at least from what I can remember, except for the FX touch-ups.

I too thought it was going to be a different film based on what I heard, but it still seems the same. Maybe I need to watch it yet again.

As for the scene where his eyes shine red, if I remember correctly it's during the apartment scene with Rachel after he's killed Zhora and had his ass beat by Leon.

One more thing, If Deckard is a replicant, he's a lousy weak model that's for sure. Not to mention, why would all the other replicants have implanted childhood memories, and Deckard has one of a unicorn. The unicorn origami that Gaff leaves is symbolic of Gaff knowing he's a replicant, correct? I don't remember, but was the unicorn in the original version?

oki9Sedo

I think its best if its never known for sure. Its much more interesting to have it as a possibility rather than a definite answer.

I hope the final cut doesn't make it obvious one way or the other.

The point about the "sixth Replicant" idea suggesting that he is a Replicant can't be argued anymore - that was just a miscount thats been corrected for the new cut.

Last edited:

Michael24

I was able to see this in October. It was only playing at The Landmark is West L.A. I was in the area on October 19-21, and it was originally scheduled to only run for a week before those dates. However, it was still playing that weekend I was done there, so I saw it Sunday morning before heading back home.

It was awesome! It's always been a favorite movie of mine, and it was great to finally see it on the big screen and looking the best it could possibly look. All of the new additions/changes are very effective, yet very subtle. Was so glad I had the opportunity to catch it while I could. Can't wait to get the big DVD box set coming out soon.

As for the whole "is he/isn't he?" debate, I side with Ford and David Webb Peoples and prefer to think Deckard is not a Replicant. It's certainly an interesting debate and adds a lot of discussion to the film, and I can see both sides, but I prefer to think Deckard is a human.

"was the unicorn in the original version?"
No....

I have both the theatrical release and the directors cut on DVD (Thanks to Chinese DVDs and eBay!)

Eric Solo

I have always though Deckard was not a replicant simply because he seems physically weaker than all the replicants he fights with.

Matinee Idyll

200px-BladeRunner_Unicorn.jpg

The way I first interpreted it (having seen only the Directors cut, mind you) was that all Bladerunners are implanted with the same types of calming dream (like the Unicorn) so they can cope with the horrendous killing they have to perform as their job.

Y'know how soldiers will get all drugged up to be able to handle wartime situations? I kinda felt it was along those lines - the employers pump them full of these dreams, as a coping mechanism. Which makes them, in essence, not much different to a replicant.

So the Unicorn was just Gaffs way of saying "I've been here." - rather than anything to do with Deckards own 'humanity'.

Anywho, I'm wrong - I thought that'd be a cool twist though.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I always thought the film's actual plot was so fuzzy that you had all the space to interpret the Replicant thing the way you wanted. From what I've heard the same goes for the FINAL CUT (if you ignore the red-eye scene). In the end, though, that may be the advantage of having five versions to choose from.

The clips I've seen online thus far are astonishing. So clear.
I'm glad I got to see the DC in theaters a couple of years ago with Douglas Trumbull introducing it, as I don't think the re-release will reach Germany.

I can't wait to own the new extravagant DVD set. .

Vendetta08

I didn't know this was playing in theaters! I definitely want to see it, I hope a theater near me is playing it.

Deckard

Blade Runner : Final Cut

So finaly we get the film Ridley wanted us to see. This tuesday 3 DvDs will be released. A standard 4 disc, the Ultimate 5 Disc w/ Deck's briefcase and extras, and a High Def version. I may spring for the 5 disc im still on the fence.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/841/841607p1.html

If you havn't seen this movie be sure to do yourself a favor and check it out, IGN has given this DVD a perfect 10. I dont think ive ever seen that from them b4.

And heres the trailer in case u havnt seen it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hYs1jBy8Y

Last edited:
Blade Runner. What a masterpiece. I was lucky enough to catch the Director's Cut at the cinema in 1992 - ish. Gotta be seen on the big screen to be believed.

herr gruber said:
Blade Runner. What a masterpiece. I was lucky enough to catch the Director's Cut at the cinema in 1992 - ish. Gotta be seen on the big screen to be believed.

I'll be seeing it at the historic Senator Theater in Baltimore on Wednesday. Can't wait.

Deckard

ResidentAlien said:
I'll be seeing it at the historic Senator Theater in Baltimore on Wednesday. Can't wait.

LUCKY. I saw Temple of Doom for the 25th anny. I would love to see this, im gonna have to check out the theatres in Philly.

oki9Sedo said:
I saw the Blade Runner: Final Cut on Thursday.

I liked it better when Deckard was a human.

Thats a big spoiler and going to ruin the movie for alot of people...

oki9Sedo

Deckard said:
LUCKY. I saw Temple of Doom for the 25th anny. I would love to see this, im gonna have to check out the theatres in Philly.

Thats a big spoiler and going to ruin the movie for alot of people...

I assumed this was a thread for fans of the film to discuss it, not for prospective viewers to find out about it.

Deckard

Well its both rly. But for the people who havnt seen it yet it kinda ruins what was my favorite aspect, bcuz your left not 100% sure if he rly is.

Matinee Idyll

Deckard said:
Well its both rly. But for the people who havnt seen it yet it kinda ruins what was my favorite aspect, bcuz your left not 100% sure if he rly is.

orly.jpg

Can't wait to see the final cut, the directors one is quite brilliant already.

oki9Sedo

Deckard said:

There's no ambiguity about it whatsoever in the director's cut or final cut.

He picks up an origami unicorn at the end left by Gaff, and nods in acceptance that he is a Replicant, before walking off to continue his life with Rachel. The origami unicorn shows that Gaff is aware of Deckard's dreams, which can only mean that his dreams are implants.

Scott has even gone so far as to call anyone who thinks its ambiguous "a moron".

In the original 1982 version, there's nothing to suggest he's anything other than human, and it was better that way IMO.

Deckard

Ya well i still have the original on VHS, which is what i was referring to. (Im one of those wierd guys who still likes to watch a VHS once in a while) Something about the not so great quality and full screen reminds me of when i saw the movies as a kid. I have seen the DC tho and ya its alot more obvious. The ending for this final cut is on youtube to advertise the dvd and its way differant then i remember.