Most Unbelievable Indy Scene of all-Time!

What is the most unbelievable Indy scene in the entire trilogy?

• ROTLA: Indy finds an entrance on a water-sealed German submarine

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • ROTLA: Indy and Sallah are able to lift a half-ton stone tomb covering the Ark of the Covenant

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • TOD: Indy, Willie and Short Round safely parachute out of plane in a life raft

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • TOD: The mining cart makes a massive air jump over uncompleted track and lands perfectly aligned

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • LC: Indy breaks the 8-inch thick marble floor of the Venice library with a rope-holding post

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • LC: Indy opens eyes while submerged in the Venice oil catacombs and is able to find an escape route

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters
Or how about Willie hanging suspended just a few feet above the lava? The steam and heat alone would have charred her lungs and flesh. She just hangs there sweating while the flowers wilt away.

Agent Z

Crack that whip said:
Mythbusters did a segment on the falling raft scenario, and much to everyone's astonishment, they found it surprisingly relatively plausible. (y)

I always kinda bought that scene. As long as they could get the raft between them and the ground, and somewhat parallel to the earth on the way down, they could build up enough wind resistance to take some of the impact away. I think if one person did it, it would be tougher to balance the raft, versus a group of people.

I need to look that episode up. :)

One scene that always gets my eyes rolling in TOD is when Indy is climbing up the broken bridge, scaling the cliffside wall, and on the other side are all these guards firing what has to be at least, what, 20-50 arrows at him.

Of course, not one damn arrow hits him: they all hit to the side of him and bounce off the cliffside. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Found the Mythbusters clip!

Last edited:

Tsar

For me it's a tie between Indy and Sallah lifting the stone cover to the Ark.. and Indy smashing the marble floor in the Library.

That raft is HUGE compared to the one in Indy. It practically floats all the way down plus they engineered it with more shock resistance. I'd like to see them try that with an unmodified raft EXACTLY like the one used in the film.

reverendB

I'd have to say the most unbelievable scene grounded in reality, is when he falls asleep under Marion. But that's just me.:D

ReverendB

Yure

I have to say, the escape from Brunwald castle via the circular hidden staircase that's triggered open by the chair Henry sits on.

Burke

Petroleum (which I assume meant "oil") floats on water, hence only the top of the water burning. Indy's eyes would've been a-okay. :)

Burke

MaverickKing said:
I think the most unbelievable part of "Temple of Doom" is how the large tank of water holds enough liquid inside to make its way through the mines to Indy in record time, despite the mines being filled with lava.

Agent Spalko said:
Or how about Willie hanging suspended just a few feet above the lava? The steam and heat alone would have charred her lungs and flesh. She just hangs there sweating while the flowers wilt away.

These are my big two.

Vance

Well, as silly and over the top as the 'raft scene' gets, I still have to say that the real 'wha?' moments are from the Venice catacombs. After estalibshing that the tomb is filled with petroleum, they have torches all over the place, swim under it (eyes open), and light the whole thing with a single match.

IJ_KELLER

I have to say the Venice petro scene. All the others could be explained by pure will, or dumb luck. But their is no way you could submerge yourself in oil and not come out blind, if not dead.

Wittmann

good ones here, but I voted for the "mining car air jump".

normally the film would have been over at that point ...

James

reverendB said:
I'd have to say the most unbelievable scene grounded in reality, is when he falls asleep under Marion. But that's just me.

This was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. :whip:

Nurhachi1991

For me one of the most unbeliveable scenes was when Lao Che offered Indy the antidote...................... why the hell would he do that? he could of posined him walked away Indy would have been dead no questions asked

The_Raiders

Nurhachi1991 said:
For me one of the most unbeliveable scenes was when Lao Che offered Indy the antidote...................... why the hell would he do that? he could of posined him walked away Indy would have been dead no questions asked

Yeah, but he was probably having a good time teasing him though. :p

Nurhachi1991 said:

He never had any intention of giving it to him. It was purely to gloat.

Dr. Gonzo

The two from "Doom" are just impossible to me.

But If I had to really vote It has to be a certain scene that some of you know I am talking about from "Crystal Skull"