Most Unbelievable Indy Scene of all-Time!

What is the most unbelievable Indy scene in the entire trilogy?

• ROTLA: Indy finds an entrance on a water-sealed German submarine

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • ROTLA: Indy and Sallah are able to lift a half-ton stone tomb covering the Ark of the Covenant

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • TOD: Indy, Willie and Short Round safely parachute out of plane in a life raft

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • TOD: The mining cart makes a massive air jump over uncompleted track and lands perfectly aligned

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • LC: Indy breaks the 8-inch thick marble floor of the Venice library with a rope-holding post

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • LC: Indy opens eyes while submerged in the Venice oil catacombs and is able to find an escape route

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters
Hanselation said:
Yes , this man must have much luck! :D unbelievable much luck!!! ;)

But luck nonetheless. Probability dictates that it could happen though having it happen the first time the odds are so astronomical you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery.

BlackSleep

Hanselation said:
I could imagine that. surviving it with a bad chance, but possible.
Really unbelievable is the living Alien effect and the ufo scene.

The reason the latter is so unbelievable is because there is no proof extraterrestrial life exists (yet). One day this might not be so unbelievable. However, what will STILL be unbelievable 100 years from now is Mutt Williams swinging through the jungle Tarzan-style on vines with an army of monkeys in pursuit of a Russian convoy. That, my friend, is simply unbelievable.

JerryKing

The new choice of surviving a nuclear (or, as the new "doctor" Jones says, "nucular") explosion in a refrigerator would now beat everything else - but "Skull" does not belong near the trilogy, anyway.

TheMutt92

Whoa, i never thought about some of those. I said the plane drop in TOD just because it always felt a little too over the top ever since I watched. But some of those are pretty ridiculous now that I think about.

CasualJeff

TheMutt92 said:
Whoa, i never thought about some of those. I said the plane drop in TOD just because it always felt a little too over the top ever since I watched. But some of those are pretty ridiculous now that I think about.

The magic box in Last Crusade still makes me angry. How the heck would he have escaped! Impossible I say! :mad:

Stoo

showimage.php

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
The Captain clearly orders the U-boat to dive ("Tauchen"); however, a lack of a constant air supply, much reduced speed and limited capacity for the electric motor batteries meant that U-boats only submerged for defence, attack or in heavy weather - none of these apply here. Nor did U-boats sound a 'diving' klaxon. A cut scene would have shown Indy hiding aboard the boat by clinging to the periscope. However, as explained the boat would not in reality have dived, and even when it did it would not have run at a sufficiently shallow 'periscope depth' the whole time.
Like I've said before, the Wurrfler did NOT need to travel submerged for the entire journey.
Agent Spalko said:
Obviously more than you. I said check your facts Stoopid.

I'll even quote my sources:

From Wikipedia:

Because speed and range were severely limited underwater while running on battery power, U-boats were required to spend most of their time surfaced running on diesel engines, diving only when attacked or for rare daytime torpedo strikes. The most common U-boat attack during the early years of the war was conducted on the surface and at night, see Submarine warfare.

From IMDB:

Indy clings to the periscope of the submarine all the way to the secret base by wrapping his whip around it and himself. It explains how he managed to survive in the sea all that time. However, prior to the advent of nuclear power, submarines were designed as surface ships that could go under water. They only submerged for defensive purposes. So, it is quite plausible that the German U-boat would have sailed on the surface of the water the entire time, enabling Indiana Jones to survive the trip without having to cling to the periscope.
Wiki and IMDB? How reputable!:rolleyes: A month ago, you know squat about the subject.

I guess you?ve never heard of a snorkel on a submarine? This device would provide air intake to the diesel engines
which would allow them to function and the sub would NOT have to rely on batter power alone. I?m not going to
bother quoting anything because you can look it up yourself. (Please, don?t come back a tell me that snorkels
were not in use in 1936. The films are full of anachronisms and you know that.)

Given the FACTS, what's the score? Stoo: 3, Spalko: 0

Quickening said:
Indeed I did and without wishing to resume the debate here I'll just say that the general public aren't going to know about a scene from a comic book or know that a certains scene was filmed and cut. Like Spalko said it was cut for a reason and the sheer implausibility of it seems good enough. It's true that there was an order to dive but again, how many film goers (barring the German ones) are going to know that or even remember it?
Well, I?m not German but knew enough about subs back ?81 to be puzzled by the scene. If there was to be no notion that
the U-boat dove then the sound effects, dialogue, etc. wouldn?t have been there. Let's forget the comic & deleted shots.
There is enough information in the film itself to show that sub goes under. (Why and for how long is anybody's guess.)

Stoo said:
Like I've said before, the Wurrfler did NOT need to travel submerged for the entire journey.
Wiki and IMDB? How reputable!:rolleyes: A month ago, you know squat about the subject.

I guess you’ve never heard of a snorkel on a submarine? This device would provide air intake to the diesel engines
which would allow them to function and the sub would NOT have to rely on batter power alone. I’m not going to
bother quoting anything because you can look it up yourself. (Please, don’t come back a tell me that snorkels
were not in use in 1936. The films are full of anachronisms and you know that.)

Given the FACTS, what's the score? Stoo: 3, Spalko: 0

Well, I’m not German but knew enough about subs back ’81 to be puzzled by the scene. If there was to be no notion that
the U-boat dove then the sound effects, dialogue, etc. wouldn’t have been there. Let's forget the comic & deleted shots.
There is enough information in the film itself to show that sub goes under. (Why and for how long is anybody's guess.)

Man you really are stoopid if you have to keep bringing this up like it's some personal vendetta. Talk about ignoring the FACTS even when they are presented. Get over it. If it wasn't for Nuke the Fridge this would no doubt be the most unbelievable scene. It was dropped from the film because it doesn't work for the reasons I have presented to you again and again yet you choose to believe they don't exist.

And here's some more facts for you so you can do your homework; the sub was a VIIC, the same as the U-96 used in Das Boot (one of my favorite films of all-time, btw ;)). The VIIC class U-Boats were not fitted with a "Schnorchel" until 1944-1945. The first U-Boat fitted with an experimental snorkel was the U-58 in the Baltic in 1943.

So again your weak argument is foiled so stop stooing about it stoopid.

Last edited:

Stoo

What a schlmiel!

I know all of this. Last month you knew nothing about subs but now you're an expert?:rolleyes:
I guess you didn't read (or chose to ignore - something you're good at) when I wrote:

Stoopid said:
Please, don’t come back a tell me that snorkels were not in use in 1936. The films are full of anachronisms and you know that.
The Flying Wing didn't exist in 1936 either! Let's review:

1) Diving klaxon
2) "Tauchen!" ("Dive!")
3) Ballast Wheels

I know there are problems with the scene so for you to say that I "choose to believe they don't exist" is flat-out wrong.
Truth is, no one knows why the periscope scene was cut but the diving scene is still present in the final film.
If anyone has a weak argument ("too unbelievable") it's you, dearie.

Agent Spalko said:
If it wasn't for Nuke the Fridge this would no doubt be the most unbelievable scene.
There you have it. That is the subject of this very thread (or have you forgetten?)
Yeah, I must be stoopid for arguing with such a blatant ignoramous...:p

And yet you choose to continue to ignore the fact that diving klaxon's do not exist and believe that is a valid argument when in fact it is another of the film's technically flawed anachronisms. Really, you would so ignorantly believe that Indy is going to ride atop a periscope that ALWAYS stays up and REMAINS at periscope depth over 2000 nautical miles (the distance stated in the Making of Indiana Jones book) that is some pretty unbelievable s#!t but seeing as how you are an apologist for KOTCS I can see how you would so naively buy into that. Indy must be imbued with superhuman powers if he can survive nuclear bombs in lead-lined fridges, survive the blast wave and tumble roll unharmed, impervious to deadly radiation, and ride atop dubious submarines that incorrectly sound diving klaxons yet remain submerged just below surface depth the entire distance to the limitations of their batteries and conveniently leave their periscopes up for would-be hitchhikers to hang onto. Wow, if you can buy into all that your suspension of disbelief must be virtually non-existent and on the same level of intelligence as your pathetic semantic arguments continue to demonstrate.

Stoo

Wow. You really are a shlemiel! I guess you can't read properly either. Get it straight, will ya?:whip:
If you're going to enter a debate about this, it's a good thing if you make sense.

(Some words are presented in bold for those with reading difficulties)
1) I have never stated that the sub was submerged for the entire trip. Are you that dense/ignorant? (Yes, it appears so.)
2) I am not a "KOTCS" apologist. So far, I've given my opinion on "Skull" only twice and both times have stated that I was disappointed.
3) Don't rely on realism and correctness when talking about Indiana Jones. It's pulp fiction/comic book brought to the big screen!:rolleyes:
4) "Diving klaxons do not exist"?:confused: Hey, if you get your info from IMDB, that's your fault.

Here's another unbelievable scene:
The flaming ME 109 ride-by in the tunnel of "Crusade". For those who think the the original trilogy is golden & untouchable,
go watch this scene again.:sick: It was silly in '89 and still is to this very day.

Last edited:

Athenee

...I'm sorry, but...

I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to forget that TOD ever happened. I don't care how much people hate and rant about KCS, I still think it's better than TOD (not as good as Raiders and LC, but KCS is definitely better than TOD)

...except... my husband's still raving about the lead-lined fridge! (he thinks it's too funny for words!) and I'm ticked because, up to about 5 years ago, my mom had a 50s-era fridge that used to belong to my grandparents, and I never checked to see if it was lead-lined! Bummer, dude...

Actually, the most unbelievable scenes in the movies has to be that Indy would give the time of day to skanks like Willie and Isla--the man has waay more class than either of them!

Marcus Jones

I went for the mine cart jumping choice.
Because even the slightest inaccuracy in the landing would probably tip the whole thing over.

And with 3 people inside it probably wouldn't even get off the track.

But it's only a film, and it looks cool so I don't really care!:D

Coronado

Lao_Che said:
Those ladies tap dancing for their own amusement through that little door at the start of Temple of Doom that Willie Scott steps out of.

They don't even leave at the end of the song. They're probably still down there giving red sheets to singers in 1993. ;)

LMAO! I second that statement!

-Coronado

Coronado

I voted:

LC: Indy opens eyes while submerged in the Venice oil catacombs and is able to find an escape route

I can overlook leaping mine carts, raft-parachutes and (maybe) the brazen destruction of the library floor, but that minute detail always bothered me... Coupled with the fact that little flaming bits were falling off his torch into the oil/petroleum and didn't set it on fire, yet a single match seems to do the trick a minute later.

But maybe they only bother me because the rest of the film is just so damn awesome.

-Coronado

Kooshmeister

herr gruber said:
I'm going to go for the lucky charm lighter. Very convenient.

Even though it actually doesn't help them one bit? :whip:

Stoo said:
The flaming ME 109 ride-by in the tunnel of "Crusade". For those who think the the original trilogy is golden & untouchable,
go watch this scene again.:sick: It was silly in '89 and still is to this very day.

I think it's saved by the fact they seem to know it's silly. The pilot's stupefied look as he goes past is priceless.

What I find stupid about that scene is why does he try to follow them into the tunnel? If he'd been right on their tail and unable to pull up, I'd buy it. As it stands, though, he wasn't. He could have flown over the tunnel.

There's a huge gap between when the car enters the tunnel and when the plane flies in. It really does look like the guy deliberately flies into the tunnel.

Last edited: