Watching in Chronological Order or Release Order

Which order do you perfer to watch the trilogy with?

• Chronological-ToD, ROTLA, LC

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Release order- ROTLA, ToD, LC

Votes: 65 67.7%

• Total voters

IndyFanSince3

Chronological

I prefer watching the films in chronological order.

ToD is my least favorite movie, so I find it nice to get it out of the way first.

It's also pretty interesting to see how Indy matures throughout the films. You really don't get to see that if you watch them in the order they were released.

Goonie

Ever since the first volume of Indy came out back in the fall, I've watched them all in chronologial order, including their corresponding documentaries. I then watched the films in Doom, Raiders, Crusade order before Skull came out. All I got to say is that's a lot of Indy. I'm ready to switchover to another franchise, X-files or Mummy, for a little while.

Katarn07

You don't need to watch them in order, even if you're new to the series. I saw LC first, then ToD, and then RotLA. Nowadays? Whichever one I'm in the mood for I watch. I don't need to see all three in a short amount of time as I do with the SW or LotR films.

Mrs_Fedora

It depends on what mood i'm in i guess (a 'Doom' mood or a 'Crusade' mood ;) ) Over the past 2 weeks i watched them backwards and that was fun too (y)

Turtle

I watch them in Chronological order. However, if I were showing them to someone who had never seen them before, I would suggest that they watch them in release order, simply to get some of the gags in Temple of Doom, where you have to have seen Raiders.

LostArk

Bullwhip said:
Chronological, story-wise.

It doesn't make any difference...It's not like the events of Temple are referenced to in Raiders. It's like it never really happened.

Michael24

Occasionally I've had little mini-marathons where I watch a certain series in order. Actually haven't done that with Indy (yet), but I usually just watch whichever one I'm in the mood for. Maybe when KOTCS comes out on DVD I'll have an Indy-a-thon and watch them all in a row, though I'll have to decide if I want release order or chronological order. Not that it really makes much of a difference in regards to Raders and Temple of Doom, as LostArk said.

Crack that whip

For that matter, it's not really all that often that I have enough time to watch two or more of the movies really close together anyway. I was able to do so with the entire run recently (all of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones followed by the three original movies and capped with my first viewing of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, in internal chronological order), but that was a rare and special event I made a point of making time for, prompted by the release of the new movie.

TheMutt92

I put down chronological order. But then again, I havn't really quite watched the series in any particular order at one time. But if I were showing the series off to a first timer, I would go in order of release (give them a better sense of the series. Not that TOD isn't a good first experience, it just seems better to show them off how they were made).

Swindle

They are very episodic. There are some people not paying close attention to the dates, who to this very day think ToD happens after Raiders. Seriously, its true.

I actually just got done rewatching them in release order. I've never watch them back-to-back-to-back in chorological order. Not sure why, though I suspect, given that Raiders is my favorite, I'd always want to kick off an Indy-watchathon with it.

mattzilla2010

IndyFanSince3 said:
I prefer watching the films in chronological order.

It's also pretty interesting to see how Indy matures throughout the films. You really don't get to see that if you watch them in the order they were released.

I have always watched them in chronological order, but never really had a reason for it. But I really like your reason, IndyFan, so I think I'll use it from now on.:hat:

But I think release order is better for someone who has never seen them before. Raiders is a much better introduction for those who are unfamiliar with the character. And like others have said, you don't get the "missing-gun-gag" in Temple unless you've seen Raiders.