Spielberg at Raiders screening and Q&A

Dr.Sartorius

Stoo said:
Ha ha, Darth! I was hoping somebody would.:D

Spielberg: "I needed the eggs."

Even though it was a "Raiders" event, that would've been an opportune moment to ask about the egg mystery. Although it appears that they weren't taking questions from the audience which made the affair more of a 'public interview' rather than a genuine Q&A session. (Just like the other 30th anniversary screening in Beverly Hills two months ago.)
Great 'report', Sartorius.:rolleyes: Since you were there in person, was the audience allowed to ask questions?

What the hell? Everything that happened at the screening was already posted in this thread before I got a chance to. :rolleyes: So obviously it made no sense to "report" on info that was previously mentioned.

The moderator took a few twitter questions from the audience that's it.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
The LA Times will be posting more video from the 30th screening in the coming days and yes they did ask Mr. Spielberg some fan submitted questions - and Geoff Boucher even asked the one sent in by yours truly, so I can't wait to see if they throw out the shout out to TheRaider.net and TheIndyCast when it's aired.

Indy's brother

RaiderMitch said:
The LA Times will be posting more video from the 30th screening in the coming days and yes they did ask Mr. Spielberg some fan submitted questions - and Geoff Boucher even asked the one sent in by yours truly, so I can't wait to see if they throw out the shout out to TheRaider.net and TheIndyCast when it's aired.

The blurbs I'd be interested in are of the IJ5 nature, and those from the Q&A have already made their rounds online. Was there any autograph signing before or after the event? If so, I bet a few interesting comments would have been made that could have eluded the media.....

indycast

RaiderMitch said:

Nice work Mitch - you did ask for an exclusive interview right? ;)

Dr.Sartorius

The print was incredibly pristine. I almost thought it was a blu-ray projection. This print was probably the best presentation of Raiders we'll ever see. Also, I was glad to see the cliff during the desert chase was not CGI.

There was no autograph signing that I was aware of. Spielberg and Ford walked out the backdoor pretty fast. Some fans might have caught them on the way however. I heard a few people did get autographs.

Ford's joke about Steven only casting him for the Indy films got me thinking that I'd love to see Ford in a non-Indy Spielberg directed film.

moon_tan

Sorry I said Toronto Festival. I guess I got the place wrong. Anyway, it is true that Spielberg finally mentioned Indiana Jones 5 and Harrison Ford made a joke that he would not go to Mars. Spielberg also mentioned he will probably have a long, long talk with George Lucas on the phone. Once they get into it, they can talk for hours.

Sharkey

He also said George was the only one who hired him because he was schizophrenic. The CGI parts looked ok. They hoped they would like Indy V too. People asked questions and Harrison said we will know more about Indys family. Also they asked my question which was the same as Raider Mitchs question and Harrison dyed his hair for Indy V!

Lucas took Marion's "Noooooooo!" from the Well of Souls and made it part of Marion' dialog out side the Raven and inside the basket.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
and Harrison dyed his hair for Indy V!

Yeah, Indy's back all right. Looks like he's going to be perfect for the scene where he's choosing the soft furnishings for Mutt's dorm room.

1314_tn.jpg

I applaud Harrison's attempt to make Shia look like the butch one for Indy V. :whip:

"Archaeology? Can I hang out with you History Boys?"

alan%20bennett.jpg

indyclone25

from the digital bits-------At last night's L.A. Times/Hero Complex screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark in Los Angeles, director Steven Spielberg confirmed that the Indiana Jones films are "coming soon" to Blu-ray, but only when producer George Lucas is ready. Spielberg would apparently like that to be within 6 months, while Lucas is apparently on more of a 12-month schedule. [Editor's Note: Our industry sources continue to tell us to look for the release in the 2nd half of 2012, as part of Paramount's 100th studio anniversary celebration.] The print that was shown last night was the digital restoration that will be used for the Blu-ray, and it apparently looks terrific. Spielberg reportedly made a point of noting that nothing has been tampered with in the film and there's no added dialogue, which drew some laughs from the crowd for obvious reasons. It's not yet decided if the set will include all four films in the series or just the unreleased trilogy. Star Harrison Ford was also on hand at the event as a guest and said he'd be up for doing a 5th Indy film as long as his character "isn't going to Mars" (which drew more laughs as you can imagine). Talks for a sequel are apparently under way.

RaiderMitch said:
Please tell me you weren't the "What gets you excited" question...

Doesn't sound like the Raider or the Indy Cast got any play.

Stoo

Dr.Sartorius said:
What the hell? Everything that happened at the screening was already posted in this thread before I got a chance to. :rolleyes: So obviously it made no sense to "report" on info that was previously mentioned.

The moderator took a few twitter questions from the audience that's it.
"Everything that happened at the screening was already posted in this thread". EVERYTHING?:confused: Since yesterday, when you were given the nudge to 'report', you've already added some extra bits that were not yet mentioned in the mainstream news items (ex: No questions from the audience, confirmation of no CGI cliff shot, no autograph session + Simon Pegg in attendance), so you obviously have MORE to 'report'. I applaud you for the extra info.:)

Dr. Sartorius, you attended a MAJOR 30th anniversary event so it would be nice to hear about your own, personal experience. Did you have a good seat? What was the buzz in the air? Was it a predominantly male crowd? (Was the person sitting next to you a pony-tailed, unshaven, fat & stinky guy wearing a Wolverine T-shirt several sizes too small?)

Twitter? Oh, my goodness.:sick:
RaiderMitch said:
...yes they did ask Mr. Spielberg some fan submitted questions - and Geoff Boucher even asked the one sent in by yours truly, so I can't wait to see if they throw out the shout out to TheRaider.net and TheIndyCast when it's aired.
Which tweet question was yours, Mitch? As Rocket noted, one of the Twitter questions (from 'Coco/Koko') was, "What are you most excited about?"

They didn't take any questions from the audience so (like myself & Indy's brother surmise) it was probably a 'prepared interview' with approved questions, as is so often done. 'Twas not a genuine Q&A.:( Below is Indy's brother's appropriate comment transplanted from the Steven Spielberg thread:
Indy's brother said:
Boucher has interviewed Ford and Spielberg many times in the past. I'm of the opinion that most if not all the questions were scripted, and had to be approved by SS and HF long beforehand. Basically it's a press conference made to look like an interview, that way it looks like they are answering questions, but without having to handle any curve balls, and/or answer any questions from the audience. It's a fine method of crowd control, but it smacks of a little insincerity imho.

Dr.Sartorius

"Everything that happened at the screening was already posted in this thread". EVERYTHING? Since yesterday, when you were given the nudge to 'report', you've already added some extra bits that were not yet mentioned in the mainstream news items (ex: No questions from the audience, confirmation of no CGI cliff shot, no autograph session + Simon Pegg in attendance), so you obviously have MORE to 'report'. I applaud you for the extra info.

Dr. Sartorius, you attended a MAJOR 30th anniversary event so it would be nice to hear about your own, personal experience. Did you have a good seat? What was the buzz in the air? Was it a predominantly male crowd? (Was the person sitting next to you a pony-tailed, unshaven, fat & stinky guy wearing a Wolverine T-shirt several sizes too small?)

Twitter? Oh, my goodness.

Well the major bits of info: i.e. no blu-ray announcement, Harrison Ford, ET unaltered blu-ray, had already been reported, that's what I was referring to.

In any event...I had a pretty decent seat in the center of the theater, I would've needed to line up a couple hours earlier to get any closer.

It was a relatively male dominated audience although there was a lot of women there too, some pretty good looking ones too I might add. Many audience members were pretty young, like 12-20 yrs old.

One of the writers of Cowboys and Aliens was also in the audience, I think it was Damon Lindelof.

Spielberg said this was the first time he and Harrison have attended an Indiana Jones screening/event.

Dr.Sartorius said:
Well the major bits of info: i.e. no blu-ray announcement, Harrison Ford, ET unaltered blu-ray, had already been reported, that's what I was referring to.

In any event...I had a pretty decent seat in the center of the theater, I would've needed to line up a couple hours earlier to get any closer.

It was a relatively male dominated audience although there was a lot of women there too, some pretty good looking ones too I might add. Many audience members were pretty young, like 12-20 yrs old.

One of the writers of Cowboys and Aliens was also in the audience, I think it was Damon Lindelof.

Spielberg said this was the first time he and Harrison have attended an Indiana Jones screening/event.

Are you SURE you were really there?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I extracted for the news feed. It seems in my partial transcript like the audience member (inaudible in the LA Times video) is posing the question, but in truth Speilberg is responding to him in part.
Steven Spielberg: "George doesn't do text or email ever. I've never received a text or an email from George and he's never received one from me. He's a phoner, you know, it's all the telephone or it's in person. So it's either eyes on or it's a telephone call, but it's never texting. I get a phone call, and this is it right here: 'Hey Steve, what are you doing?' I say 'I'm sort of just sitting around working, George. You know, I'm making ten pictures a year as a producer. What are you doing?' 'Yeah, I'm just, I don't know.' He always has something going, but it's funny, we talk for, the thing with George, when George and I get on the telephone, I have to clear my morning or my afternoon because we talk for a long, long time... We talk about everything. We talk about movies and we talk about his projects and my projects. We talk about our families and our friendship, and it's been an enduring friendship.”
Audience member: "Bring back Sallah!"
Steven Spielberg: "We talk about it. Yes, yes, and we're hoping, we're hopeful, someday. We're hopeful."
Harrison Ford: "Maybe a fifth, but I ain't going to Mars."
Steven Spielberg: "I ain’t going to Mars with you."
Harrison Ford: "There’s no mix in that bag. It’s an absolute delight to revisit this character and a chance to work with Steven again who only hires me for Indiana Jones. But I’m an actor, you know? Anytime there’s a, next time we get a script for Indiana Jones I’d be delighted to play the character again. The thing that we all, both had as an ambition for the character and the series was that each time we meet Indiana Jones, we had the occasion to go to a new Indiana Jones film, we wanted to advance the audience's understanding of and experience with the character. Not just by putting him in new adventures but learning something new about, something about what made him what he is… which I thought, to me, makes the character so interesting to revisit."
Q: "When will Raiders come out on Blu-ray?"
Steven Spielberg: "Soon in my world would be in about six months. Soon in George’s world is later than six months."

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Mine was about digitally altering Raiders like GL has done. John Conroy from the LA Times was keeping me up to date what was happening at the event. This was his email to me.
Mitchell ? FYI, we?re going to be rolling out video from the Spielberg Q&A ? and you may have heard already? we had a surprise guest J - over the next few days on latimes.com/herocomplex but wanted you to be aware that Geoff asked Steven your question. So you?ll get to hear his answer this week!​

The funnier bit was Spielberg saying he resented the change done to ET - which is my scene in "Indiana James" filmed last spring. In that scene the Nazis/bad guys have their guns replaced with walkie talkies and flashlights. And someone turns to me and says what the hell is scary about walkie talkies?

Indy's brother

I'm sure that these guys don't pick their words as much as people like me try to pick them apart, but still, I'm a bit murky on what was meant here:

Audience member: "Bring back Sallah!"
Steven Spielberg: "We talk about it. Yes, yes, and we're hoping, we're hopeful, someday. We're hopeful."

So what was he responding to here? Obviously to the Indy 5 question in general, but was part of Spielberg's response in reference to the Sallah idea?

Harrison Ford: "There?s no mix in that bag."

I think that this probably means that Ford and Spielberg are both agreed that no Indy in space/no alien element, but it's a dubious kind of expression to throw in there.