General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

JasonMa

Matt Damon's new Bourne movie is probably one that breaks the "rule" about actors not opening current blockbusters. People are a lot more excited about this one than the one they did with Jeremy Renner taking the lead role.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Liam Neeson could open a movie until about a year ago, now Denzel Washington is the last man standing.

But you know who else can? Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Angelina Jolie, Shailene Woodley, Jennifer Lawrence, and Scarlett Johansson. Maybe Shailene as a young Marion could get all 4 quadrants.

Pale Horse

Staff member
This might need it's own thread, and I'm hesitant to continue here, but I think if we apply Occam's Razor to the premise Le Sab proposed, it would be this:

Which actor(tress), based on name & reputation alone can drive multi-million dollar profit for any film in today's environment. Based on that persona alone.

Now, test it. Go to any of the actors pages on IMDB and look at the films they're slated for, and say to yourself: "Will I see this file because of the star power or because of the concept?"

Denzel has two films slated. Equalizer 2 and The Magnificent Seven.
Leonardo has The Revenant
Jolie has four, two (3 sequels and an original) two being Salt 2 and By the Sea
Ford's next 4 rumored projects are all sequels.
A couple of Hanks projects are A Hologram for the King and Inferno...and a little sequel based on some old toy.
Melissa, after her Ghostbusting has B.O.O. on her plate

I just went at random here. But of those above, I can almost bet that the concepts films including their sequels will fare far better financially than will the other projects. Supporting the Premise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiders90

Why do you guys have this resentment against Harrison lately? I know you probably won't answer directly, but why? Do you blame him for KOTCS moreso than Lucas? I've seen the gradual diminishment of his importance in the franchise around here lately. It's sort of an open secret that you guys want him as far from Indy as possible.

Mickiana

Raiders112390 said:
Why do you guys have this resentment against Harrison lately? I know you probably won't answer directly, but why? Do you blame him for KOTCS moreso than Lucas? I've seen the gradual diminishment of his importance in the franchise around here lately. It's sort of an open secret that you guys want him as far from Indy as possible.

Where do you get this from? A couple of posts back you say anyone could have played IJ. Not anyone could have done so, but there were others who were also suitable candidates.

Then there is this post where you sense resentment against HF. I feel there has been no resentment or blame on HF for CS from people here. Some here feel it would be better for a younger replacement for another IJ adventure and some feel Harrison could play IJ again in a well written movie.

What really are your final thoughts?

Dr. Gonzo

Raiders112390 said:

Mickiana said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SECu1fR0dWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IndyForever

Raiders112390 said:
I only want Harrison in the role & that's ok because Frank Marshall agrees & Spielberg is most probably directing Indy 5 with Harrison so we are in good company :whip:

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
For fans, he's the linchpin holding together a franchise tossing out its expanded universe and side stepping the prequels.

You're projecting.

It's not like the same story couldn't have been told with Princess Leia as the linchpin. Or Lando. Or a random space trucker.

Moedred said:
Concept alone won't open movies (see Jupiter Ascending, Pan, etc).

Not all movies work. Both flicks mentioned were conceptually fine; they just happened to be really bad movies, and no amount of star power was going to save them.* Or did I miss that post where Ford's winning personality and charisma powered Ender's Game to a hundred million dollar opening?

* - Warner Bros. attempting to ape Disney and failing is another topic entirely.

Silvor said:
Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame is super excited to see Han back for one.

And that $12.50 he's going to spend might offset Iger's latte for a couple of days. If he sees it in IMAX, that $17.50 might be used to tip the guy detailing Horn's Ferrari.

Moedred said:
But you know who else can? Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Angelina Jolie, Shailene Woodley, Jennifer Lawrence, and Scarlett Johansson. Maybe Shailene as a young Marion could get all 4 quadrants.

Now you're flailing. Having a single successful opening (in relatively low budget productions) is not analogous to being able to open movies. Batman & Katniss together couldn't even put American Hustle over a million bucks in its opening weekend*. And Katniss has an Oscar. Katniss & Cooper couldn't even power their period romance Serena to $250,000!

* - To be fair, it was a limited release. It did about $7-million in wide release.

In an ensemble piece Katniss makes money. She has yet to prove that she can a.) carry a movie on her own and b.) have cross generational appeal.

I like Sandra Bullock. I happen to think that Our Brand is Crisis has potential, but nothing about it says 'go see it now!' Unless critics are shouting its praises from on high (and they don't appear to be) it won't even break $8-million at the box office this weekend. That's not a good opening, and it's doubtful that it'll have the legs of The Martian.

Woodley has one genuine hit with The Fault in Our Stars. The second Divergent movie eked out a profit. The first made some money, but how much of that was residual Hunger Games/Young Adult adaptation interest? It's doubtful that the target audience was enamored with her work in The Descendants.

Lucy was a phenomenal opening for Scarlet, but the majority of her work and subsequent earnings is in ensemble work. Call back when she really, really has to work for her money should Ghost in the Shell actually ever get made with her attached. How many people are going to subsequently stay away because she looks nothing like Motoko Kusanagi? The entire nation of Japan?

JasonMa said:
Matt Damon's new Bourne movie is probably one that breaks the "rule" about actors not opening current blockbusters. People are a lot more excited about this one than the one they did with Jeremy Renner taking the lead role.

No. While the plural of anecdote is not data the absence of Matt Damon doesn't account for The Bourne Legacy's failings. Like me, how many people stayed away because the series reached its logical conclusion and didn't feel the need to see another one? Top it with the fact that it wasn't very good, and it's failings are more conceptual rather than star related.

That's enough for now.

Raiders90

Mickiana said:
Where do you get this from? A couple of posts back you say anyone could have played IJ. Not anyone could have done so, but there were others who were also suitable candidates.

Then there is this post where you sense resentment against HF. I feel there has been no resentment or blame on HF for CS from people here. Some here feel it would be better for a younger replacement for another IJ adventure and some feel Harrison could play IJ again in a well written movie.

Former post was sarcasm, to see how well the sentiment fit in with popular sentiment - and it fit in enough not to be seen as sarcasm. So, Harrison is "Mr. Replaceable?" I mean, yeah, I guess Tim Matheson would've done much better back in 1981. It's not like Harrison had really much to do with the role. He was just some guy wearing a hat - anyone can do that right? Prattlord Jones, 21st century manchild archaeologist, in 2017.

Finn

Staff member
Ford's tenure as Indy is far from irrelevant. He's had a good run. One of the best, one might say.

But all runs, even the best ones, must come to an end sometime. The desire to see a new face under that brim stems from that fact of life, and nothing else.

Sarcasm and satire usually need a target rooted in the ground to work. It's not very good sarcasm - or, should we say, sarcasm at all - if it takes pot shots at straw men.

curmudgeon

A columnist for Deadline was at the Britannia Awards, where Ford was getting honored. In the writer's account of the event, he shared the following...

http://deadline.com/2015/10/britann...-jones-harrison-ford-meryl-streep-1201600196/

There were also taped messages from the likes of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas who of course have been responsible for Ford?s biggest hits.

He?s already got a new Star Wars , but Spielberg hinted at something else that whetted fans appetites. ?I can?t wait to work with you again on Indiana Jones 5. This is NO announcement, just my fervrent hope, ? he said. Sounded like an announcement to me.

The Indy 5 line was part of the taped message, to be clear, and not an interview piece or alleged overheard statement.

Henry Jones VII

Harrison's age is not a problem for me at all, because my feeling is that an aged and rugged hero can add a lot to an adventure movie if done well.

I would love to see him comeback for another one, but only if they come up with a good/entertaining story, he deserves to go out with style.:whip:

Silvor

Henry Jones VII said:
Harrison's age is not a problem for me at all, because my feeling is that an aged and rugged hero can add a lot to an adventure movie if done well.

I would love to see him comeback for another one, but only if they come up with a good/entertaining story, he deserves to go out with style.:whip:
Compeltely agree!
It's so good to see not everybody in here is against Ford returning :)

I gotta say Spielberg sure has mentioned Indy 5 with Ford a lot as of late. Seems he really wants to do it :D

micsteam

Hey guys,
sorry got to sound in on this one ... Saboteur, really ?? Harrison Ford's participation in Star Wars VII is a non draw for audiences ?? The first trailer from months ago .. grown men 30-50s were literally crying that we got our REAL Star Wars characters/actors back ... I think that had quite a lot to do with HF, considering that Han and Chewie were the only original characters to be featured in the trailer !! Hey, we can all disagree with certain points of view, that's the beauty of a democratic society ( let's keep it !!), but lets keep our heads in the game. I'm of the demographic male age that are pre-purchasing tickets for Dec. 18th ( I'm not, not now .. ridiculous .. movie theaters are not what they were, back in the 70's-80's when a playhouse showed a movie at a time .. we have 18 theater complexes now) and that's a fact ! Older males are buying these tickets right after the Monday Night Football game's half time show that featured the newest trailer. So sorry I have to shoot down this statement that HF is not a factor in the draw for the newest movie in the SW franchise (or whatever .. Stoo.. BTW you still owe me ;). Everybody have a great weekend !! :hat:

Z dweller

Finn said:
Ford's tenure as Indy is far from irrelevant. He's had a good run. One of the best, one might say.

But all runs, even the best ones, must come to an end sometime. The desire to see a new face under that brim stems from that fact of life, and nothing else.
Very well put. (y)

And our respect for Harry as an actor is unaffected by this simple truth.
Personally, I really look forward to watching his performance in Blade Runner II.*

*Deckard was rather grumpy even in his prime, so Ford's look at this stage is perfectly suited for the character in his old age..

FordFan

Finn said:

Frank Marshall would disagree with you. It sounds like Spielberg does, too.

Finn

Staff member
FordFan said:
Frank Marshall would disagree with you. It sounds like Spielberg does, too.
Hmm. We'll see.

You know what's the key difference between me and people like you? It's that I'm a dullard who lets his sense of business economics block out the fanboy.

TheFedora

curmudgeon said:
A columnist for Deadline was at the Britannia Awards, where Ford was getting honored. In the writer's account of the event, he shared the following...

http://deadline.com/2015/10/britann...-jones-harrison-ford-meryl-streep-1201600196/

There were also taped messages from the likes of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas who of course have been responsible for Ford?s biggest hits.

He?s already got a new Star Wars , but Spielberg hinted at something else that whetted fans appetites. ?I can?t wait to work with you again on Indiana Jones 5. This is NO announcement, just my fervrent hope, ? he said. Sounded like an announcement to me.

The Indy 5 line was part of the taped message, to be clear, and not an interview piece or alleged overheard statement.

The sad part now is that Spielberg knows that he has to stress 'not an announcement' here. I still saw a ton of articles online about this new 'news' when it is the same old song and dance.