Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

IndySeven

Today is the 25th Anniversary of the sixth chapter of the Star Wars saga, "Return of the Jedi". So, on this 25th anniversary, share your thoughts about the film. Did you think it was the best Star Wars film, worst one, etc.
I personally put it as my third favorite, after ROTS and TESB.:)

An abomination. The disgrace of the original trilogy. Suffers from all of the problems that Indy 4 suffered from, actually. After stepping out of Indy 4, I turned to my friend and launched off a series of similarities in execution between that and this.

Eric Solo

That movie would have been 100% better if Lucas had gone with his original idea of WOOKIES defeating the Empire rather than the Ewoks.

Deckard

Good movie, only a decent Star Wars movie tho.

My fav is still ESB, and I don't even acknowledge the prequels unless I'm comparing something to how awful they are.

Michael24

25 years already? Jeez, where does the time go? It was the first Star Wars movie I saw in the theater, and I can remember the day pretty clearly. My mom and grandmother took me and a cousin to see it on one of the biggest screens in our area, and it was great. I don't have any problems with the film (1997 Special Edition version aside), but I still rank it third behind Empire and A New Hope.

Eric Solo said:
That movie would have been 100% better if Lucas had gone with his original idea of WOOKIES defeating the Empire rather than the Ewoks.

Perhaps, but he wanted a race that was not technologically advanced, and the Wookies had already been established as such.

Eric Solo

Just because Chewbacca is technologically advanced and has technical skills doesn't mean that all wookies are that way. Just like some human cultures are still primative.

|ZiR|

Absolute favorite as a kid. I loved all the aliens and puppets in the movie -- my brother disdainfully referred to is as the "creature feature." Whatever. No longer my favorite of the original trilogy but it still has a special place in my heart. I used to get a weird feeling whenever slave costume Leia was onscreen.

Eric Solo said:
Just like some human cultures are still primative.

Gee, it sure is RACIST in here!

BuiltFordTough

I loved ROTJ as a kid...for a while it was the only one I had on VHS so I watched it over and over again. Now, yeah the ewoks irritate me a little but aside from them it really was great. I enjoyed the second death star run, but really what I love about that movie is Vader's redemption. For any Star Wars fan it was such a powerful scene...a shot of Luke squirming in pain, then back to Vader's expressionless face as he looks on...and finally that bit of good left in him emerges. :cool:

Deckard

Eric Solo said:

scary.gif

Ewoks will consume your soul.

The Jabba’s palace, Emperor, and Space battle portions are pure gold. Truthfully it’s all pretty much golden aside from the Ewoks. I don’t outright dislike our furry friends…but they were the first sign of Georges selling out. They were a blatant marketing ploy. Lets just admit that right now. For as much as I criticize the prequels and their obvious story flaws committed to justify action figure possibilities…Lucas’s corruption and money lust began with the final chapter of the original trilogy. Ewoks are cute, they’re funny, they’re butt kicking…but were they Star Wars? I should say, “Were they Star Wars appropriate?” I cannot help but sit here and think that the greatest army the galaxy has ever seen was defeated by a band of stick-wielding teddy bears on steroids. From a plot perspective they're really almost embarrassing.

RocketSledFight

Deckard said:
scary.gif

Ewoks will consume your soul.

Wicket's hand movements in this gif disturb the hell out of me. Especially when coupled with the dead gaze of his marble eyes.
I liked Return of the Jedi. But it was the weakest of the OT.

UKIndyFan

1. Return of the Jedi
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

For 1 and 6 I'm 100%, but the others are continuously being swapped around.

Return of the Jedi has always been my favorite

Michael24

FishbowlHead23 said:
I cannot help but sit here and think that the greatest army the galaxy has ever seen was defeated by a band of stick-wielding teddy bears on steroids.

Which was precisely the whole point of the Ewoks, as Lucas wanted to show that being all-powerful didn't necessarily mean you were always going to win. But the thing is, it was the Rebels who defeated the Empire. The Ewoks basically just keep them busy on Endor while Han worked his way into the shield generator bunker to blow it up, and then Lando and the other fighters blew up the death star.

The Golden Idol

I used to love ROTJ, mainly because of the Speederbike chase and Jabba's Palace. I watched it recently and wow, it's a lot worse than I remember. All the actors seem bored of their parts, the Ewoks are annoying as hell, rehash of Death Star, Vader is no longer as badass as he was in ESB, Han and Leia are now one-dimensional characters, the entire Endor part is just uninteresting, etc.

Joe Brody

[In my best dripping with contempt Toht voice]You Indyfans are all the same, always revealing yourself as closet Star Wars fans at every opportunity.

Eric Solo

Joe Brody said:
[In my best dripping with contempt Toht voice]You Indyfans are all the same, always revealing yourself as closet Star Wars fans at every opportunity.

[In my best Dart Maul voice] At last we will reveal ourselves to the Indy Fan Community. At last we will have revenge.:hat:

Lopero

But I am a Star Wars fan who am revealing myself as a closet Indy fan....:p

having seen all the films in a theater from begining to the end of the saga,when it came to RotJ I was excited all the way through but when it came to the end being presented more to the younger crowd I was left disapointed in the ending.Honestly...Ewoks defeating the Empiral ground troops with sticks and stones...gezzz :( But the storyline up to that part was great until that point.

Crack that whip

Hey, Star Wars led me to Indy, and other Lucas films and Lucasfilms, and to Kurosawa and other Lucas influences. No apologies here for my general Lucas fandom, debatable merits of recent output notwithstanding.
:whip:

I love Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. At the same time, it's my least favorite of the original trilogy, and also the one I think is the least good.* But yes, I do love it.

*I do make a point of drawing a distinction, since I don't always consider what's "best" to be either the "greatest" or my personal favorite - for example, I think Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is IMO the "best" of the series, but the original Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope) is both (again IMO) the "greatest" and my favorite.

Katarn07

My least favorite of the trilogy, but for reasons other than Ewoks. I actually have no problem with Ewoks. Well, other than them taking down the stormies so easily without incurring a bunch of casualties on their own, but the cuteness factor? Nah. I have no problem with that.

Harrison Ford's performence is one of the weakest he's ever given in his entire career. In ESB, Han Solo is such a scoundrel. In this? Not so much. It may have been the script. But I know he didn't wanna be there so he's partially to blame.

This film does have my favorite moment of all in all 6 movies, and that's Anakin's redemption. Awesome, awesome scene. And the Battle of Endor is the best space battle out of all 6 movies. And the soundtrack was pretty cool. Better than Indy IV's at least.