"Latter-day Nazis" I'm glad this was abandoned!

Avilos

I am very glad that Darabont's script was not used now. "Latter-day Nazis"??? I think 2 of the 4 films having Nazis was plenty. I am glad they went with the Soviets instead. Using the Nazis again would have ignored all the potential the 50s era has. It would have been a RAIDERS redux.

Last edited:

AHegele

I agree! I read that in the VF interview and was astonished to find SOMETHING about Darabount's. This is also the only thing from Darabount's I know of that hasn't been transfered into Kingdom of the Crystal Skull aside from Shia.

Blackadder

Totaly agree , Indy broke many yaws of these guys , now he can try something different :D
On the other hand we wont hear famous quote : "Nazis , I hate this guys"

Mutt Williams

Blackadder said:
Totaly agree , Indy broke many yaws of these guys , now he can try something different :D
On the other hand we wont hear famous quote : "Nazis , I hate this guys"

Indy: "Nazis , I hate this guys"

Mac: "They're Russians, Indy."

Indy: "They look the same to me."

No Ticket

Mutt Williams said:
Indy: "Nazis , I hate this guys"

Mac: "They're Russians, Indy."

Indy: "They look the same to me."

That's pretty funny. ... and I agree, Nazis would be overkill. We've had them twice before. And that would just make it seem like Nazis are the only bad guys Indy can face. He is based on the old serials... he has many adventures. Not all of them would be with Nazis. That's one reason TOD is so cool, it shows you the other kinds of adventures he would've had.

Sankara

I guess we all have to thank George Lucas. By the way: I don't like the way some guys here talk about GL. Okay, the new Star Wars Movies are lousy. Yes, "Young Indy" was a shame... BUT: HE is the creator of Star Wars and Indiana Jones!!!

Without GL we had a Nazi with a terminator-arm in "Raiders". Don't forget!

Zorg

Yeah, having new villains is a good thing. A third time with Nazis would've been kinda lame.

So this article is online or is it the magazine version of the article? I just want to know if I should pick up the magazine for information.

Oh and I agree Soviets are FAR more interesting than left over nazis.

Professor Jones

I agree with the fact that having a third time nazis in an Indy movie would have been too much indeed, and especially if the movie is set in the 50s, when the idea of "latter-day nazis" would have sounded really absurd and forced.

By the other way, I must admit that the choice of Ruskies is very well made: in fact they could think to a great enemy (Russia was the other power of the world that time) who has got an own army and who moves in uniform commanded by a insanely bad boss... The goodness of the choice seats not only on the circumstance that russians are, for their own characteristic, really interesting villains, but depends especially on the fact that substantially.... they are the same cine-type of the nazis!

That's what make "Mutt Willams" joke even more sensed, other than hilarious (although I sincerely hope not to hear any joke of this kind in the movie: too self-referent and reductive)!

snake_surprise

Wasn't the latter-day-Nazi theme utilized in the 'Iron Phoenix' comic series?
I need to read those dark horse comics...but they are impossible to find for a reasonable price.

At any rate, I think the Russians will be perfect for this film.

SterankoII

Did Darabont really intend to use latter-day Nazis? It could've worked because there were a lot of escaped Nazis living in South America after WWII but I thought after Schindler's List Spielberg wasn't going to use Nazis as cartoon villains.

commontone

oki9Sedo said:
I can't believe he wanted to do Nazis AGAIN.

Actually, several dozen high-ranking Nazis fled to South America in U-boats when the war was lost. There are theories that they tried to continue the Nazi plan and formulate a comeback, especially seeking vengeance against the Soviets. Of course, there are wild theories that Hitler and Eva Braun were among those that landed in Argentina. This is probably just conspiracy nonsense, but many Nazis did in fact end up in South America.

If they hadn't already used them a few times before, it could have been cool. Who knows, maybe we'll see a Nazi or two in the new movie, hiding out in Peru.

Hammy Skillet

Nazis.

Soviets.

What's the difference besides the accents and insignia on their uniforms?

As far as how they are presented in the Indy universe - there is none. From the viewer‘s perspective, they're just goons to be shot at, blown up, and nearly turned into fish bait. Ideology has never really reared its head before.

But yeah.

Personally, I kinda like the South American Nazi idea.