Discuss Chapter 3 - I Like Ike (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

The Golden Idol

IndyJr. said:
On a side note, I have to say that the entire film from "You aint nothin' but a hound dog!" to the point where Marion comes into the story is absolutely brilliant. After that it falls apart in SOME (not all) respects (not because of Marion... even though she was somewhat of a let-down)

EXACTLY! The movie is good for that first hour! It's the second half of the film that is the cause of most people's disappointment with the movie.

caats

yeah i def agree with that. actually it falls apart for me after Indy takes out Dovchenko. but then the wedding always leaves me smiling

Wilhelm

The first 20 minutes of the movie are a masterpiece of visual storytelling. From "Hound Dog" to the mushroom cloud Spielberg tells a perfect mini-movie.

TheMutt92

IndyJr. said:
On a side note, I have to say that the entire film from "You aint nothin' but a hound dog!" to the point where Marion comes into the story is absolutely brilliant. After that it falls apart in SOME (not all) respects (not because of Marion... even though she was somewhat of a let-down).

The first half of Indy 4 was up to par with Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and some parts of Raiders of the Lost Ark!

My thoughts exactly!

the ox

agreed! love this chapter and the whole first "half" but what happens when marion walks out of the tent ... like the magic just stops. boom. though the ant fight is cool!

WeAreGoingToDie

Relevant to this chapter of the DVD, I walked past a Pakistani food truck in Philly and during the lunch rush they had the DVD playing the escape from the warehouse scene on a tiny tv. I stayed and watched up to the rocket sled. (y)

sspx0124pg6.jpg

Playing above:
picture2ts0.png

Last edited:

Benraianajones

I like when Indy nudges Irina out the jeep, and I like when Indy swings on the chain and kicks Dovchenko.

Yes, the fridge I do not mind being nuked. The last few shots of it rolling over the floor do seem Indiana Jones. I like when Indy is looking over the landscape in awe at the nuke explosion, in his ever changing world.

I agree, from "Hounddog" to begins to when Marion appears the films great actually. Actually, up until when they escape the camp and arrive in the quicksand, then the movie just becomes a bit TOO comical and its non-stop jokes and whimsical action, that seems a bit Disney. I do like the jungle chase, but it could have been made gritter. Anyway I am going off topic.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
"Sure, great, don't wait for me!" was the funniest line in the movie. Ford was superb in this sequence.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic... but I love that bit too. It's a very Indy/Han Solo delivery.

Benraianajones

I like Indy's voice on that part, reminds me of Indy from the originals. As it does when he yells "Go! Go-go-go!" on the motorbike during the chase.

oki9Sedo

Udvarnoky said:
"Sure, great, don't wait for me!" was the funniest line in the movie. Ford was superb in this sequence.

I liked it when he said "Oh that can't be good at all." as well.

James

This was my favorite part of the Saucermen script, so I was very glad it made it to the screen. Doom Town is surreal and takes the series into a completely unexpected direction.

Benraianajones

I have to ask, not exactly being the oldest around here, plus I think it may be an American thing - but when Indy claims he likes Ike - what exactly is he refering to?

Professor Jones

The Man said:
Doomtown IS vintage Indy. For those brief moments, all the elements fuse terrifically. Why couldn't Spielberg just cut loose elsewhere in the movie as he does here..?

Ford's growing dread, the pullback to reveal the bomb, the melting mannequins, even the speed with which Indy rolls from the fridge, it all just clicks...

I must admit that you're putting in evidence the technical elements of the scene have made me re-consider it. Actually, I agree with you when you means that stilistically the scene is vintage Indy.

What I still cannot accept is the nuclear blast... I find it too exaggerate even for an Indy movie: I cannot quit the feeling that they've pushed too far the search for spectacularism. So I cannot save the whole scene, because of its contents, even if I can appreciate the form.

Another things that disturbs me it's the setting: Doomtown. Obviously it's perfect to represent what it portraits, but I found it some way off-tune with Indy saga: too colourful, too modern, too sci-fi...

I've appreciate way better the first part of the Chapter, the Warehouse scene and the rocket scene... that are really Indy-style even in the contents!

IndyJr. said:
On a side note, I have to say that the entire film from "You aint nothin' but a hound dog!" to the point where Marion comes into the story is absolutely brilliant. After that it falls apart in SOME (not all) respects (not because of Marion... even though she was somewhat of a let-down).

The first half of Indy 4 was up to par with Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and some parts of Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Absolutely agree (except for the choice of the nuclear blast - as said before).

Indy's brother

Benraianajones said:
I like Indy's voice on that part, reminds me of Indy from the originals. As it does when he yells "Go! Go-go-go!" on the motorbike during the chase.

My instant response to the GO GO GO GO GO! was that Ford's delivery was intended to mirror Shia's acting style, making the father-son angle play better. It didn't remind me of any Indy moment that I can think of.

Benraianajones

Indy's brother said:
My instant response to the GO GO GO GO GO! was that Ford's delivery was intended to mirror Shia's acting style, making the father-son angle play better. It didn't remind me of any Indy moment that I can think of.

Nah, he does a few yells in previous Indy movies that have the same corseness in his voice. "No, other right, your other right!" or whatever he yells at Willie for example.

Thanks for the link James, oki9Sedo thanks for the standard link to google (which seems to me like a "don't be lazy use google" response), but when you have no idea what "i like ike" is refering to at all, and it brings up lots of results - it still doesn't help unless directed in the right path.