Did Indy have to copy EVERYTHING?

Raiders90

Just was re-watching LC...and I notice that Fedora/Garth's ENTIRE outfit is the same as what Indy would later wear:

Fedora/Garth's got:
-The fedora
-Button down shirt, white
-Leather Jacket
-Two belts (look closely)
-A satchel bag much like Indy's WWI gas bag. Like Indy in KOTCS, Fedora's bag's strap is over the jacket rather than under
-Khaki pants
-A few days/week's worth of stubble
-A scar on his face (Indy on chin, Fedora on his cheek, Mutt on his cheek)
-Use of the word "Kid" in reference to Indy, just as Indy would say to Shorty.

Really the only thing that sets Indy apart from Fedora is that Indy uses a whip...I mean I know Indy was inspired by Fedora, but come on!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
WilliamBoyd8 said:
I think this confirms once again that "Last Crusade" is the best of the
Indiana Jones films.

:)

Yours is a dry wit, then?

I'm a big defender of Last Crusade, but this particular aspect of it is a blot.

michael

ah, but Indy's outfit was tailored incredibly well. Fedora's looked like his dad's clothes. For the most part you have a good point, but you are stretttttcchhhiiingg it with;

the fedora: this would be a no brainer, because 'Fedora' gave it to him. It would always be the first and most important part of his outfit it would seem. The main reminder of his inspiration.

the Khaki pants: would you rather he wear jeans?

stubble: he is a grown man afterall...

use of the word 'kid': well that's what Short Round and Young Indy were....kids.

oh, and edit:

the white adventure shirt: perfectly reasonable shirt for anyone traveling to the lands that Indy would, right? The hot deserts and jungles.

So I guess we are just down to the belt and jacket...I'll give you those, I guess. But wait, you NEED belts and a holster if you've got a gun.

I'm rambling now.

Concerning the scar, I agree, I don't think they ever had to explain where it came from.

Last edited:
Regarding the film and not the men:

Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those who we cannot resemble. - Samuel Johnson

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Regarding the film and not the men:

Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those who we cannot resemble. - Samuel Johnson

When you went away, Rocket, did you happen to buy a new book of quotations? ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
So we've gone from discussing Fedora=Abner to Indy copying Fedora's fashion statement.

I think that's why Abner isn't Fedora- it be kind of creepy to have Indy dressed like Abner and Marion finding that attractive- though it would be pretty Freudian!

In any case, what else did explorers wear at that time? A pith helmet? I don't think that would have been appropriate for all locations. Even looking at it in the adventure and serial perspective- Indy copied his fashion statement from a number of films- "Secret Of the Incas" comes to mind- there's also the "Greatest Show on Earth", which has a guy in a rather similar outfit to Indy. Lion tamer, indeed. Even the various incarnations of Alan Quartermain has had a wide brim felt hat with khaki shirt and pants, belts and holster and sometimes a leather jacket too.

In terms of the story- it really doesn't bother me that much. He was looking for a male role model coz his father certainly wasn't much help in that department. I think it would have made more sense if Indy had been younger though, for Fedora to have made that strong an impression for Indy to imitate him. 13 isn't too impressionable an age.

Mickiana

To me, Fedora was an influence upon Indy, both in appearance and in a roguish, grave robber sense. In a literal story sense, I can only assume that Indy may have unconsciously imitated the garb of Fedora. I think the statement by the movie makers is that Indy grows up to have a similar persona (in that regard) to that of a daring, win-at-most-costs, at times amoral treasure seeker (obtainer of rare antiquities). He also develops an academic persona like his father which is his mild mannered character.

Also, the statement Fedora makes to young Indy, "You lost today, kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it." is also intriguing. It has a bitter, ironic edge to it, it's a bit of a verbal slap-in-the-face and seems to preempt Indy's fate of never being able to keep the treasures he seeks and finds, but also has a flip side irony of the fact that in this case he does eventually get back the Cross of Coronado.

He has two role models then - his father and Fedora. Along with his father, Marcus could be counted as a role model.

James Byrne

Violet said:
Indy copied his fashion statement from a number of films- "Secret Of the Incas" comes to mind- there's also the "Greatest Show on Earth", which has a guy in a rather similar outfit to Indy. Lion tamer, indeed.

Don't you mean "Circus manager, indeed"? :hat:

Bjorn Heimdall

I'd hesitate to bring this post back up but there is a reply from 2014 in here so what the hell. What I found interesting reading through this thread is that no one speaks of the obvious reason that Fedora dresses excactly like Indy - So that the audience would think for a second that it is Indy himself.

Duaner

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I'd hesitate to bring this post back up but there is a reply from 2014 in here so what the hell. What I found interesting reading through this thread is that no one speaks of the obvious reason that Fedora dresses excactly like Indy - So that the audience would think for a second that it is Indy himself.

When I first saw "Last Crusade", I thought that was Indy until the real Indy appears on the boat off the coast of Portugal 10 or so minutes later. Keep in mind I was a little kid and slightly dumb. The difference in their faces went over my head. Then when the boat scene began, I was all confused. If that guy wasn't Indy then who was he? And who was that kid? I think my Dad or Mom had to explain what was going on.

Finn

Staff member
Bjorn Heimdall said:
I'd hesitate to bring this post back up but there is a reply from 2014 in here so what the hell.
Just for future reference: Don't. Hesitate, I mean.

Mickiana

Bjorn Heimdall said:

Yes, it was intentional to make the audience think Fedora was Indy, if only for a moment. Then we find out Indy emulates Fedora's garb, consciously or otherwise, and some character traits as well. Fedora seems to have a formative effect on Indy. The coincidence is too strong for it to be otherwise.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
-Button down shirt, white
As a matter of detail:
Their collars are different styles and neither of them are button downs. Indy wears a folded spread whereas Garth had a standing band collar (a "mandarin").
Raiders112390 said:
-A few days/week's worth of stubble
One thing that I'm glad Indy did NOT copy is his hair! Garth's coiffe is completely out of place for 1912 and it's as silly now as it was in the movie theatre. As the back of his head was shown close up for the first time, I thought, "What's with Indy's hair?!?!", but was soon relieved when it turned out to be someone else. Otherwise, Indy would've looked like he stepped right out of a late '80s deodorant commercial!:eek:

Major West

I think the point was to create a character that had an impact on Indy. Otherwise you might wonder how did he become the man he was based on his bookworm father. Fedora turned out to be an ok guy when he gave Indy the hat.