The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

indyt

temple of john said:

Thanks for the info TOJ. Though I dont mind Alex doing some of the butt kicking, I really want O'Connel and his wife at the forefront. I like to see the heroes consistent. But the news on the new mummy is awesome!! Why cant it be this easy to get Indy 4. We check the internet news, "Indy 4 approved and will start shooting on so and so date. It should be that easy. I wish.

Kill Cavalry

Alex bugged the bejezzus out of me. One thing I despise in movie sequels is the use of a child to try and bring in a younger crowd. This always cheapens the film and never really works.
Legend of Zorro, the Mummy Returns, and the Phantom Menace are all offenders in this regard. I could write a whole new topic on just how ridiculously bad these child sidekicks are, but I'll refrain.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, he at least will be older. If it's say another 10 years from the second one, that would make him in his late teens. Possible eyecandy for me....

Twilightpro101

Kill Cavalry said:
Alex bugged the bejezzus out of me. One thing I despise in movie sequels is the use of a child to try and bring in a younger crowd. This always cheapens the film and never really works.
Legend of Zorro, the Mummy Returns, and the Phantom Menace are all offenders in this regard. I could write a whole new topic on just how ridiculously bad these child sidekicks are, but I'll refrain.

That's already my main problem with this sequel concept. Don't get me wrong I loved the first two Mummy movies. I'm a die hard fan of the Universal Monsters, but don't get me wrong this is sequel seems like an enhanced retread. I'd really prefer it be Rick and Evie as opposed to their son. Even if they do age him and give him a love interest.

Viper

Well, did anyone notice that in the first movie they aren't even married yet, but in the second movie (which takes place two years later) they have a 12 year old son?

I am very curious as to what they're going to do, unless it if a prequel, because I don't see how they could bring Imhotep back...

Twilightpro101

According to one of the sites mentioned earlier in this section, ole Imo isn't coming back but instead the film focuses on a Chinese Emperor mummy.

The script of course is written by none other than Smallville creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. It would also focus more heavily on their son, but Rick and Evie would still in play.

IrishLuck1980

We all know Rick O'Connell is a rip-off of Indiana Jones. So what. Nothing better then movies who pay respect to Indiana Jones.:hat:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Viper said:
Well, did anyone notice that in the first movie they aren't even married yet, but in the second movie (which takes place two years later) they have a 12 year old son?

I am very curious as to what they're going to do, unless it if a prequel, because I don't see how they could bring Imhotep back...
Nope, it is 12 years later...the movie says as much.

PhantomStranger

Director for "Mummy 3"

Rob Cohen to Direct The Mummy 3?
Source: TMZ
January 9, 2007

TMZ reports that Universal Pictures has signed The Fast and the Furious and XXX helmer Rob Cohen to direct the third installment in "The Mummy" franchise. The site says that the studio is expected to make it official later this week.

It was previously reported that "Smallville" creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar were writing a reimagining of the first two films. Brendan Fraser was said to be reprising his role of Rick O'Connell. Rachel Weisz has said she "would definitely like to be in it."

An offer was also made to director Joe Johnston (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III) to helm at one point. Stephen Sommers directed the first two films.:gun:

Gustav

PhantomStranger said:
Rob Cohen to Direct The Mummy 3?
Source: TMZ
January 9, 2007

TMZ reports that Universal Pictures has signed The Fast and the Furious and XXX helmer Rob Cohen to direct the third installment in "The Mummy" franchise. The site says that the studio is expected to make it official later this week.

It was previously reported that "Smallville" creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar were writing a reimagining of the first two films. Brendan Fraser was said to be reprising his role of Rick O'Connell. Rachel Weisz has said she "would definitely like to be in it."

An offer was also made to director Joe Johnston (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III) to helm at one point. Stephen Sommers directed the first two films.:gun:

Well that really sucks. Burn in hell, Rob Cohen.

Joe Brody

Third sequels rarely ever command major opening dates -- and given the expected competition with an Indy IV, I guess we're looking at an early '08 release, perhaps something like Underworld Evolution's January (?) release this past year. Conversely, maybe it will happen as a back-to-school movie -- but that's risky if the audience's appetite for adventure films is sated by Indy IV.

roundshort

Spider-Man opened pretty strongly one or two weeks before the 1st Star Wars, or 4th or second. . .I don't know how you count those!

Doc Savage

roundshort said:
Spider-Man opened pretty strongly one or two weeks before the 1st Star Wars, or 4th or second. . .I don't know how you count those!
C'mon, shorty, it's not that hard! It's the second...no, the fifth...no, the...aw, skip it!

I'm looking forward to the new Mummy movie...I just hope Arnold Vosloo has the titular role.

Gustav

It says in the article that we'll be seeing a new mummy. And O'Connell's son is "grown" whatever that means. Probably that he's about 17. When did the second movie take place? I think the first one was in 1932 and the kid was around 8 I think so it should have been early 40's so this one should be late 40's. I hope it's not the 50's. The 40's were more adventurous.

Anyways none of it matters! As long as Rob Cohen is directing you can also expect to see a big steaming pile of dog poop splatter onto the screen in 2008. You'll be like, "Ew, gross! Wait...is this the movie?" Rob Cohen is as bad - if not worse than - Uwe Bol in my book.