Jurassic World

Dr. Gonzo

Brooke Logan said:
I wonder why they didn't make the movie like the book. I always wonder why movie-makers don't try to make a movie as similar to a book as possible. Obviously I understand some changes have to be made to adapt a book to film, but for the most part, if I made movies, I'd look at a book a film was being based on as basically being the script.

In the case of the Lost World I don't know why they strayed, but for a lot of films it's simple... too many unnecessary subplots.

Jaws is a good example. The film works very well as a straight ahead story about men hunting a great white shark as opposed to the book where Mrs. Brody is a whore who has an affair with Hooper, and the mafia subplot with the mayor being forced to keep the beaches open. All of that is really not needed and just consumes screen time ya know? It works very well as an "a to b" adventure.

AndyLGR

Brooke Logan said:
I wonder why they didn't make the movie like the book. I always wonder why movie-makers don't try to make a movie as similar to a book as possible. Obviously I understand some changes have to be made to adapt a book to film, but for the most part, if I made movies, I'd look at a book a film was being based on as basically being the script.
You should read the Ian Fleming James Bond novels, you then realise that the films contain bits from the various books and are changed drastically from the book title they come from.

Brooke Logan

Dr. Gonzo said:
Jaws is a good example. The film works very well as a straight ahead story about men hunting a great white shark as opposed to the book where Mrs. Brody is a whore who has an affair with Hooper, and the mafia subplot with the mayor being forced to keep the beaches open. All of that is really not needed and just consumes screen time ya know? It works very well as an "a to b" adventure.

I didn't even remember the mafia plot.:D However I do wish they'd kept in the Hooper/Ellen affair.;)
You should read the Ian Fleming James Bond novels, you then realise that the films contain bits from the various books and are changed drastically from the book title they come from.

Maybe I should read the books. I should see the films too, I've never even seen a Bond film!

A good example of a movie that stayed very close to the book is the black and white version of The Lord of The Flies. It was great!

I wish The Amityville Horror would be made into a film following the book almost to the letter.

IndyBr

Brooke Logan said:
)
I should see the films too, I've never even seen a Bond film!

Me neither, but to be honest I don't plan to.
Interesting to learn a little about the Jaws novel... is it as good as Jurassic Park?

kongisking

Brooke Logan said:
I didn't even remember the mafia plot.:D However I do wish they'd kept in the Hooper/Ellen affair.;)

Nah, I prefer what Spielberg did. He made Hooper the most likable and fun character in the film. And made me a Richard Dreyfuss fan instantly. :D

kongisking said:
Nah, I prefer what Spielberg did. He made Hooper the most likable and fun character in the film. And made me a Richard Dreyfuss fan instantly. :D

didnt he die during the filming of Krippendorf's Tribe? :p

kongisking

featofstrength said:
didnt he die during the filming of Krippendorf's Tribe? :p

I've actually never caught that one. But I loved him in such other classics as American Graffiti, What About Bob?, and some flick with Danny DeVito I can't remember the name of...:confused:

Dr. Gonzo

Remember that rumor about Jurassic Park 4 being about human dinosaur hybrids being bred for military use?

Well apparently it was true for a time and got as far (scarily far) as the design phase...

http://www.slashfilm.com/wtf-jurass...-planned-as-kung-fu-flick-with-flying-people/

Jurassic-Park-4-1.png

Le Saboteur

JP Jones said:
I...I...I don't know how to feel.

Like this?

jurassic-park-3-7.jpg

I'm intrigued. It's been eleven years since the third movie, so I'm willing to see what they'll manage to bring forth. What's more, the third movie redeemed the series from the travesty that was The Lost World.

Don't forget to hold onto your butts. Jurassic Park is also coming back to the big screen in April in... well, every format imaginable. That includes IMAX. Yes, IMAX. IMAX 3D to boot.

Dig: Starting on April 5th, 2013 Jurassic Park will have an exclusive one-week release in IMAX 3D to coincide with its general release.

Dig this Half-Life 2 mod as well!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lTPk4iO47RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Dig this Half-Life 2 mod as well!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lTPk4iO47RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved the Half-Life series, but that image somehow reminded me of this:

Jp-trespasser-cover.png

Jptrespasserscreenshot.jpg

A bit clunky, especially the character's extended arm, but it was great at making you feel alone and vulnerable among the dinosaurs.

kongisking

JP Jones said:

I, for one, feel exhilarated. Jurassic Park is one of those films that defined me, so to return to that world is going to be tremendously nostalgic for me. Almost like, well, KOTCS.

The one thing that gives me huge hope? The writers of the last Planet of the Apes film are scripting it. And seeing as that film was a terrific JP-esque story of man's folly with some amazing effects, it seems like those two were destined to save this franchise from extinction.

Butt in seat, summer 2014. ;)

JP Jones

I've been torn on this news. When this was being rumored 4 or 5 years ago, I was strongly opposed to it. I thought the trilogy had given all we needed, and I sure as hell didn't want someone to F up Jurassic Park with machine gun toting dinos.

Looking at it now, I think this might be the right time for another JP. It's been 20 years since the original came out, and I feel like whoever is going to direct this, won't feel like he has to take the series in a different direction. JP 4 feels like it's going to be a trip down memory lane, rather than a fresh, new take.

The writers also have me excited. When I finished watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I actually told my friend that it reminded me of Jurassic Park. I literally can't think of a better writer for this film.

Even though I would probably rather see the trilogy stay a trilogy, I'm a whole lot less worried that JP 4 is going to be a disaster.

HenryJunior

I think a sequel is going to have to update the series a little bit, which should be interesting. For instance the plot of JP1 wouldn't fly now-a-days. As soon as the park went haywire they could have used cellphones and called for aid. There's a lot more tech to Of course that could be the joke, that chaos theory will still allow for all hell to break lose, no matter what tech and security we may have.

Paden

Despite my best efforts, for some reason I'm really struggling to muster enthusiasm for a new installment of this series. I'm a huge fan of the original film and enjoyed much of the second installment (owing primarily to Jeff Goldblum's character/dialogue). The third I was completely ambivalent about. I didn't hate it, but I never really felt engaged by the movie either. It was akin to riding an amusement park ride that you've ridden dozens of times before. It's pleasant, but it doesn't really offer any surprises.

At this point, that's how I anticipate feeling about this one. It's hard for me to imagine what new it can bring to the table. That said, I honestly hope I'm wrong. Maybe when additional details surface, I'll become a lot more interested in the project.

kongisking

Paden said:
Despite my best efforts, for some reason I'm really struggling to muster enthusiasm for a new installment of this series. I'm a huge fan of the original film and enjoyed much of the second installment (owing primarily to Jeff Goldblum's character/dialogue). The third I was completely ambivalent about. I didn't hate it, but I never really felt engaged by the movie either. It was akin to riding an amusement park ride that you've ridden dozens of times before. It's pleasant, but it doesn't really offer any surprises.

At this point, that's how I anticipate feeling about this one. It's hard for me to imagine what new it can bring to the table. That said, I honestly hope I'm wrong. Maybe when additional details surface, I'll become a lot more interested in the project.

It's odd, I feel exactly the same way you do about the original films, but differ in that I'm tremendously looking forward to a fourth film. As HenryJunior said, they'll need to seriously modernize and update the concept for it to work in our more advanced age. Perhaps the plot could revolve around people stealing dinos from Isla Sorna/Nublar and making cute YouTube videos with them? :p

HenryJunior

Maybe we could go all The Thing 2011 and show them building the park from the first movie. The book talked about how it took years to grow the Dinos and build the Park.

Henry W Jones

I thought the original was great but all the sequels were terribly done and I feel they should leave it alone. I remember pt 2 being so horrible I put of watching pt 3 until a month ago after giving 2 another chance. Still a bad film and 3 is even worse. From the little girl doing the gymnastics to knock out a dinosaur to the guy who walks into the mouth of a T-rex to avoid a snake pt 2 is the downslide, and a quick downslide, to a great idea. .

Last edited: