Raiders of the Lost Ark Deleted Scene. (Video.)

Indy-Anna

I've never seen that before, thanks for posting it!

To quote Marius24601 from youtube: "I think dysentary gave us one of the greatest cinema moments" :hat: :whip:

LostArk

Indy-Anna said:
I've never seen that before, thanks for posting it!

To quote Marius24601 from youtube: "I think dysentary gave us one of the greatest cinema moments" :hat: :whip:

Haha, that's great :D

Seen it before and I'll see it again :)

nitzsche

I'm sure Harrison appreciates that all the effort he put into training for these whip stunts resulted in just about every cool scene with the whip in all 4 movies being left on the cutting room floor.

Reggie

well, since he's the one that suggested just shotting the guy instead, I'd say he appreciates it just fine.

Crusade>Raiders

Yeah, IDK how a sword whip fight would work anyway.

Funny, Indy doesn't use his whip all that much.

Raiders: 1. Slap gun. 2. Slap Nazi in The Raven 3. Scare off thungs in Cairo(all I rememebr)

Temple: 1. Swing from vine. 2.attack thugee, hanging him.

Crusade: 1. Young Indy in the beginning 2. Save Henry Sr.

Kingdom: 1. Grab weapon 2. Swing from light

Never seen that scene before, but the one in the movie is much better.

Ignatius Stone

Sure, we've all seen that footage before, cobbled together from various vintage making-of docs and the like, but what would be really good is if the powers that be actually located all the deleted footage, dusted it off, and stuck it on a future DVD or Blu-Ray release as bonus material one day.

Crack that whip

Crusade>Raiders said:
Yeah, IDK how a sword whip fight would work anyway.

Funny, Indy doesn't use his whip all that much.

Raiders: 1. Slap gun. 2. Slap Nazi in The Raven 3. Scare off thungs in Cairo(all I rememebr)

Temple: 1. Swing from vine. 2.attack thugee, hanging him.

Crusade: 1. Young Indy in the beginning 2. Save Henry Sr.

Kingdom: 1. Grab weapon 2. Swing from light

As you implied after your Raiders whip uses, you did leave a few out:

Raiders: 1. Swing across pit in Chachapoyan temple. 2. Climb statue in Well of Souls. 3. Drag behind truck. 4. Tie self to periscope. ;)

Temple: 1. Swing from elephant statue in the Temple of doom. 2. Swing from light fixture between catwalks in mine. 3. Fight / disarm Thuggee. 4. Pull Willie back for a kiss. (What's this "vine" thing you mentioned? :confused: )

(Note also the giant, Roachian Thuggee also tortures Indy with his own whip when they capture him, just before making him drink the blood of Kali.)

Crusade: 1. Swing between castle walls to get to Henry Sr.'s room.

Kingdom: 1. Try to save Mac.

Last edited:

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
4. Tie self to periscope.;)
Ha Ha!;) Right on, brother.:whip:
Don't forget grabbing Willie at the end of "Doom"!
Way of the dodo said:
I still don't get exactly how whip vs.sword works. How was this fight going to end originally?
While dodging the swipes of the scimitar at the butcher's table, Indy punches the guy in the face,
hears Marion shouting "Indy!", looks up, sees the basket and he takes off in pursuit.

The scene wouldn't have lasted much longer than what is shown in this clip and it would have been
mainly from the butcher's point of view (with a shot of him ignoring the fight).

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:

Blast it, I knew full well there was something else in that movie, but I just drew a complete blank on it. :eek:

Hrm - the edit box is still showing on my post; time left for a hasty addition, methinks... ;)

TheMutt92

Nice find! (y)

Never knew they actually filmed part of it, always thought Harrison showed up on set and was just too tired, so they changed it.

Crack that whip

Crack that whip said:
Stoo said:

Blast it, I knew full well there was something else in that movie, but I just drew a complete blank on it. :eek:

Hrm - the edit box is still showing on my post; time left for a hasty addition, methinks... ;)

Oh, we also both neglected to cite brushing the tarantulas off himself and Satipo (though that probably pushes the boundaries of "using his whip" a bit beyond what Crusade>Raiders had in mind).

Someone might also have pointed out that he uses one in "Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal," but then of course that's not his whip (though neither is the one in the young Indy prologue in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - but then again, that's where the whole whip thing begins, so it warrants mention anyway...).

actually the just shoot him advice came from spielberg because Ford was sick and was to tired to keep doing that so steven said "just shoot him":gun:

DiscoLad

Man, that look on Indy's face right before he shoots is so friggin' hilarious, it's like he's mumbling to himself. thanks for the post!

Grimezy

Never seen it before, good thing they decided to go with the "just shoot him" idea, still the most humorous scene from all the films.

Well that and some of Connery's lines "The floor's on fire..." :D

Stoo said:
Ha Ha!;) While dodging the swipes of the scimitar at the butcher's table, Indy punches the guy in the face,
hears Marion shouting "Indy!", looks up, sees the basket and he takes off in pursuit.

The scene wouldn't have lasted much longer than what is shown in this clip and it would have been
mainly from the butcher's point of view (with a shot of him ignoring the fight).

I remember there was quite a Charlie Chaplin scene planned with multiple cuts of the Butchers meats...that the butcher was going to be moving the slabs around and the swordsman would be cutting them (plural).

WrathofGod

Rocket Surgeon said:
I remember there was quite a Charlie Chaplin scene planned with multiple cuts of the Butchers meats...that the butcher was going to be moving the slabs around and the swordsman would be cutting them (plural).

It was Harrison and Steven that decided that scene should go. Everyone was sick and they just wanted to finish and so a logical and expedient solution came out of it...thank god, it's the funniest joke in the entire series and an example of how a humor should be done.

And yeah...the look on Indy's face just before he shoots him is the best bit, can you think of any 30 something actor today that could pull that simple look off?.:gun: