Indy Trilogy worst audio mastered Dvd's I have seen for ages

denass

I live in Australia and hired 1st the set to see how good it was.I was astounded how bad the mastering was done.I thought maybe a bad set of discs so borrowed a friends set.
I install Home Theater Systems here in Australia so I have a good background in things AUDIO and VIDEO.The first disc I played was Temple of Doom.The problem is the vocals in the movie.The music score is far too loud making alot of words not understandable.Since I discovered this many others have complained to me about it.Some are turning up their centre channel to try to make it better.After watching the scene with the young lad driving the car I just gave up watching it.I havent even wanted to watch the others because they are similar.I remember seeing these in the picture theater and it was easy to understand everything being said.Back to the future set was the same here too.Some people I know here are not going to be buying it after listening to it.I have heard the discs on several systems including my own High End one and think they should hang their heads in shame for such crap.VHS versions are much better in the dialog department.
Maybe Australia got the badly mixed ones but couldnt imagine any difference as they would have came from the same master.
My vote is they are the worst box set made for audio voice inteligability by far
Whats yours like in the states.
denass

Tequileros

Guys Australian boxsets are worse, because with my Dutch (Holland) dvd set I got no problems at all! The audio quality is just great. Ofcourse it's better then the video's, but overall the sound is great.
We got some good speakers at my place (I don't remember the brand but it certainly is better then any sony or phillips speaker set that you got, and they were really really expensive), and really, the sound is clear. It is great even!

denass

hi guys
I am running professional Electrovoice speakers with top of the range yamaha DSP1 as a preamp with a new Rotel 1095 200watt @ 8 ohm power amp.
Also running 2 x 18" Beymer professional subs thru a Nad 250w Amp.The DVD player is top of the line toshiba and projected by a NEC lt150 DLP Projector that is much modified.The image shown is 8 feet wide.
The speaker system is professional and much modded too.
So I have a system that should be good for acessing a DVD.
I have a total of over 300 Dvd,s and can say that these box sets here are crap for the reasons I explained.
I am wondering if these are just bad discs here in australia .
Denass

denass

Hi Renderking Fisk
I am thinking that ordering from the states might be the answer.I would like to hear anyone else,s opinion from Australia.Honestly these are really bad.I use to have them on laserdisc and the sound was much better and vocals very clear.My system is great for vocals on the centre channel on all other DVD,s except this box set.
Renderking Fisk is the vocals clear on the U.S. discs
Thanks
Denass

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I have the European set. I like it. But the music is much more louder than with my old videos.

LASTCRUSADER

I have the Region 1 box set and I have found no problems with the sound. The vocals are fine. Ordering from the States may be your solution.

Canyon

I too have a region 1 Indy box set from the States and have had no problems with the sound or anything else for that matter.

Udvarnoky

I'd just like to point out that a lot of people have complained about the sound of the DVDs because of the 5.1 remixes. While I think Paramount/Lucasfilm should have included the oirginal mono tracks as well as the remixes, you have to remember that the new mixes have to be listened to on a 5.1 system to be experienced properly. When you listen to it on a normal, 2 speaker TV, things will sound different than they should. The most noticable example is Marion's scream when the snake comes out the face's mouth in the Well of Souls. If you listen to it on an unequipped TV, her scream is almost the same volume as the music, making it much less effective. If you listen on a 5.1 system, it sounds better. Of course, this is unfair for those without 5.1 systems and is just another reason why the original mom tracks for Raiders and Temple should have been included, but this is an explanation for most of the sound problems.

Brock

Udvarnoky said:
I'd just like to point out that a lot of people have complained about the sound of the DVDs because of the 5.1 remixes. While I think Paramount/Lucasfilm should have included the oirginal mono tracks as well as the remixes, you have to remember that the new mixes have to be listened to on a 5.1 system to be experienced properly. When you listen to it on a normal, 2 speaker TV, things will sound different than they should. The most noticable example is Marion's scream when the snake comes out the face's mouth in the Well of Souls. If you listen to it on an unequipped TV, her scream is almost the same volume as the music, making it much less effective. If you listen on a 5.1 system, it sounds better. Of course, this is unfair for those without 5.1 systems and is just another reason why the original mom tracks for Raiders and Temple should have been included, but this is an explanation for most of the sound problems.

Wait, I thought that one is able to select mono or stereo sound from the setup menu. Or is Udvarnoky awknowledging this, and the idea is that the mono and stereo are simply truncated forms of the dolby surround, and? ... Wait I'm confused. What's the idea with the loss of sound on stereo or mono t.v. sets?

Udvarnoky

The setup menu only allows you to choose the different surrounds for the different languages. The mono track is not included.

IAdventurer01

I don't think Indy needs surround sound. The sound through a great stereo system sounds better than a cheaper surround system.

Tennessee R

I haven't really noticed the sound that much, I do know that the picture quality is superb! It's amazing how much clearer it is.