Max Payne

Finn

Staff member
Up to my knowledge, Max Payne is known for wearing a black leather coat, getting shot a lot and acting as the resident mannequin for any major pain pill manufacturer... not imitating Thomas Magnum.

Unless you're mixing himself up for some other character?

On another note... ugh, another video game movie. Well, to be honest, I actually found myself enjoying Hitman a bit. This probably falls somewhere in the same category. Forget you've ever played any of the games and check your brain out at the door and you just might survive it.

Michael24

I'd planned to do just that when this came out... until I read that Marky Mark was playing Max. So now I'll just be passing it entirely.

jamesdude

Max Payne....Punisher Rip off?

if you read the story of the first Max Payne video game, you'll find that the story is exactly the same as the punisher. Both of thier famlies have been brutally killed and they both seek revenge for them.

Do you guys agree or am i overreacting a little bit.

Niteshade007

Aren't most superheroes made out of that kind of tragedy? I don't read comic books, but I feel like that's a common one. Batman springs to mind. Doesn't Superman's family die too? It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

And revenge isn't exactly a new motive. Hamlet, I'm sure some stories in the bible...there's definitely more, but I just can't think of any.

Finn

Staff member
Max Payne is a movie based on video game that did a decent emulation to bring John Woo on computer screens. Plus anybody who has played that game (or games as there're two of them) know that the Payne franchise actually draws heavily from the film noir era detective stories and turns it into something of a parody. Payne's internal monologue is filled with hilarious verbalics.

Makers of that game have themselves stated that the story is not supposed to be original but a collection of every cliché from The Maltese Falcon through Dirty Harry and Lethal Weapon to The Matrix with a heavy dose of subtle satire thrown in. I wonder if they've managed to keep all that in the movie, but I must confess that I'm not holding my breath.

Though putting the story aside, that game is helluva lot of fun to play.

Gustav

Finn said:
Though putting the story aside, that game is helluva lot of fun to play.

I concur. It was fun even without the story, but the way the story was told made it more appealing. It was sort of making fun of itself. I especially like the part near the end where you can hear two of the bag-guys talking to each other before they know you're there and one of them is explaining to the other one what "bullet time" is. That's always a good time to put the "bullet time" to use.

Another part I liked was when Max said he felt like he was just a video game character with a life bar in the corner of the screen with someone else controlling him. I hope they do something in the movie like that. Maybe he could say he feels like he's following a script and there are people watching him to see what happens next. I don't know. It seems like whenever a video game-based movie is made, they only expect brainless action-junkies to go see it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Snakes said:
Where's his Hawaiian shirt?
Maybe in part 3 set in São Paulo, Brazil?

Just saw it. Okay, but the shift to drug fueled FPS "bullet time" is a distraction for non-gamers. Beau Bridges makes an unconvincing baby killer. There's a halfhearted post-credits sequel tease suggesting Max hasn't vanquished big pharma.

Finn

Staff member
I have a confession to make. I learned only recently, that Max is actually wearing a Hawaiian shirt in the first game. Before that, I thought it's a scarf. Because... it's winter, and where I (and, incidentally, the game devs too) come from, people don't wear Hawaiian shirts in the winter. But they do wear scarves.

Now, with that out of the way, I couldn't help noticing that Mordy's been bumping a lot of video game movie threads lately. You're actually binge watching these things, boss? Pray tell, what compels you?