Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

OhioJones

Well, I've got to say: I feel bad for you PS2ers but on the Wii this game is amazing.

The Wii controls really give this game an Indy feel that no other game has had. I feel like I really have my trusty whip on the side and the fist fights are great. Further more, the motions are varied: from the forementioned fist fights, to flying planes, driving tanks, and riding elephants, to bursting through doors, the motions are constantly being mixed up. I have never played a game that has used the Wii controls so often and so effectively. This is definitely not a gimmick here. They work great and really enrich the experience.

I've not completed the story yet, but so far it is great. Plus, that's not all there is to offer here. The co-operative mode is awesome, featuring and entirely new quest with the great Henry Jones Snr. himself. This quest is told through some really neat animated story books and also has everything from rafting to flying in it. Everyone needs to grab a friend and play is ASAP.

The other two multiplayer modes, a tank/plane dogfight mode or a survival mode where the controller is passed around and players see who racks up the most kills, are also great and addicting.

My friends had a hell of a lot of fun with these modes, and they are hardly Indy fans at all.

Add Fate of Atlantis to all of this, and you've got one hell of a package.

So yeah, it's a lot better on the Wii. But it was created with that system in mind, so of course it is. This is the most "Indy" feeling Indy game and it is a blast.

Note: it is even better if you play wearing a fedora :whip:

I have to admit I was fairly sceptical about this game, but I must admit I'm enjoying it alot. Have to go to work now so won't be able to play it again til tommorrow, but what a blast. Maybe its cos I'm playing the Wii version, but I'm following the story just fine, it helps maybe if you keep looking back at his diary (nice young indy reference by the way) which describes the characters a bit more. The locations are quite inventive too, I found san francisco far more imaginative then I thought it was gonna be. I'll write more later, but I'm enjoying it. Quite a few classic Indy moments too

Trennas

I'm beginning to wonder if they put ALL of their energy into the Wii version and left the PS2 version rushed? Can anyone elaborate on the quality differences between the two?

Johnny Nys

First everyone says it's bad, now the people who like it come out. Good for the Wii-owners, bummer for us PS2-guys. LucasArts has dropped really low. I'm sure that Monkey Island remake will have something fishy about as well.

Trennas

Johnny Nys said:
First everyone says it's bad, now the people who like it come out. Good for the Wii-owners, bummer for us PS2-guys. LucasArts has dropped really low.

That's exactly what I'm wondering about; how much difference is there in quality between the two platforms? Is it even the same game, or completely different? (In terms of story, flow of the game, not all the extra options)

Johnny Nys

From what I heard, the story and flow are the same. The controls are different, of course, and apparently you don't have as many combat moves with the PS2 as with the Wii, which makes fighting kinda dull.

Don't know whether it was mentioned already, but I found a YouTube user who has uploaded lots of gameplay vids for the Wii. If you want to see what the game looks like, look up http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotMyEyeOut, but beware of spoilers of course.

indyjones2131

Annoyances, Questions, and Oddities:

1.) How do you change the graphics settings for FoA?
2.) Why can't you Quit FoA?
3.) Anyone else find it annoying and boring that every ledge has a weak spot that Indy MUST stumble from so that you MUST shake the Wii-motes. It stopped being fun and exciting after the 5th time. And why can't Indy jump over the weak spots without being forced to first nearly fall?
4.) Anyone have their wii-mote go nuts on them, having Indy run around in circles? Happened to me and on my friends Wii.
5.) OR the fact that even the unlocked concept art has Indy with a satchel, but the game doesn't. LIke A2M created the art, looked at the satchel and just said "Nope. Let's cut the man purse. Let's just have him shove things in his pants."
6.) A2M LOVES fire! I can name five separate instances that fire is used for "dramatic" effect here.
7.) And the settings are so similar to ET: (jungle with bridge, china town, istanbul, etc)
8.) Worst Indy Bad Guy yet. (boring)
9.) The camera is TERRIBLE!
10.) The stupid spiders were only sorta cool the first time. LIke the fire, they tend to lose cool points each time they appears (3 or 4 now)

paladinb

The Tingler said:
Waiiit a minute - if you're in the UK, how are you playing it now? ;)

well I pre-ordered my game and it arrived yesterday. I have to say I'm playing it on the wii and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I would have loved to see what they were going to bring out on the Xbox360 and PS3 and hopefully one day we'll get to that.

The Tingler

indyjones2131 said:
Annoyances, Questions, and Oddities:

1.) How do you change the graphics settings for FoA?
2.) Why can't you Quit FoA?
3.) Anyone else find it annoying and boring that every ledge has a weak spot that Indy MUST stumble from so that you MUST shake the Wii-motes. It stopped being fun and exciting after the 5th time. And why can't Indy jump over the weak spots without being forced to first nearly fall?
4.) Anyone have their wii-mote go nuts on them, having Indy run around in circles? Happened to me and on my friends Wii.
5.) OR the fact that even the unlocked concept art has Indy with a satchel, but the game doesn't. LIke A2M created the art, looked at the satchel and just said "Nope. Let's cut the man purse. Let's just have him shove things in his pants."
9.) The camera is TERRIBLE!
Um, I can answer a couple:

1. The '2' button. The '1' button shows the controls.
2. No goddamned clue. Maybe they assumed once you'd gone into it, you wouldn't want to leave. :p
3. Supposedly immersive, adding tension etc. Frankly I think it's one of the lesser crimes this game commits.
4. Not me.
5. The only reason I can think of for the lack of the satchel is a) LucasArts had planned a storyline reason for its absence that never got followed up, or b) the first game footage in 2006 didn't have the satchel, and that's all A2M had to go on. Oh, thanks, you've reminded me how great the cancelled version was looking again.
(skipping to) 9. Agreed, but you can't do much better with the Wii. I would've REALLY liked a lock-on function for enemies though... like in the PSP version.

Trennas

Johnny Nys said:
From what I heard, the story and flow are the same. The controls are different, of course, and apparently you don't have as many combat moves with the PS2 as with the Wii, which makes fighting kinda dull.

Don't know whether it was mentioned already, but I found a YouTube user who has uploaded lots of gameplay vids for the Wii. If you want to see what the game looks like, look up http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotMyEyeOut, but beware of spoilers of course.

Thanks! I'm not completely oblivious to the Staff of Kings, I was just wondering about why the opinions varied so much, and thought it might have to do something with the Wii and PS2 versions being completely different. I traded my Wii for a PS3 last year (best decision ever in my opinion :) ) but I do own my trusty old PS2, and if the game really turns out to be crap on there, I don't want to waste my money :p

Johnny Nys

Same here. I was so looking forward at getting it this weekend. Now, I don't know. Those gameplay vids have made me a bit more positive about it. I have FoA on PC so that's no loss. The co-op mode would've been fun, but frankly I always play alone so it's not like I would be making use of it. Lack of fighting moves I can live with as well - I'm not that much of a fighter and I'd be playing this game more for the adventure aspect.

When you look what kind of graphics a PS2 is capable of (I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 12) and then look at the vids of SoK, there's a clear generation gap. But I still enjoy playing Final Fantasy 7 as well. While that's no excuse for bringing out a game of this visual quality today, graphics aren't THE most important thing when I decide to play a game. Though I also hear this game is glitchy as hell on PS2.

I'm hearing good things about the music and the voices. Most people seem to think the story is okay as well, though the game does seem to leave it a couple of key cutscenes explaining how Indy got from point A to point B.

indyjones2131

Yes. My list was by no means the worst parts of the game. Those have been mentioned several times already.

No, these were just little oddities to add to the list...

Trennas

Hmm, I'm going to think about getting it for a while longer.. It's not like I'm exactly swimming in money ATM, so I have to spend what I have on things I'm not gonna regret for sure.

I actually also have FoA for the PC, although it won't run for one bit. Maybe I should get an old PC and put Windows 95 on it just to be able to play all those good oldies :)

Trennas said:
Hmm, I'm going to think about getting it for a while longer.. It's not like I'm exactly swimming in money ATM, so I have to spend what I have on things I'm not gonna regret for sure.

I actually also have FoA for the PC, although it won't run for one bit. Maybe I should get an old PC and put Windows 95 on it just to be able to play all those good oldies :)

http://www.scummvm.org/
http://www.dosbox.com/

Just use ScummVM to run FOA-- it's free and works on nearly every electronic device you can imagine.

Trennas

I don't remember that anymore; it's been too long. All I remember is that it didn't work. I'll try again someday soon, hopefully with better results :)

DocLathropBrown

indyjones2131 said:

If you stop right before the weak spot in the ledge (you can see them), and press A, then Indy will jump over it.

Nurhachi1991

Hahaha yeah Indy shoving relics in his pants was a bit odd.

Maggie:Indy is that the Staff of Moses or are you just happy to see me :p