Where to get complete Temple of Doom Soundtrack??

Mr. Z

As No Ticket mentioned, I'm sure with this resurgence that we will see something soon. Let's hope so anyway! :gun:

drwynn

Mr. Z said:
As No Ticket mentioned, I'm sure with this resurgence that we will see something soon. Let's hope so anyway!

Don't be too sure...I still haven't heard any rumblings indicating that re-releases of the first three scores are on their way.

But, you can help make that idea a reality by signing the petition at the following link and mailing a copy of the petition letter as well;

http://jwfan.com/index.php?option=co...sk=view&id=910

The smug Bas**** report.

Is this what you guys are seeking? Unfortunately, there's only one place I can sell it - Marrakesh. 3,000 bucks.

stevephotoalbum272Small.jpg

ReggieSnake

Yay!!! I just received the ToD soundtrack I bought on ebay today from Japan. (I've been looking for an "affordable" one too long to wait for the promised re-release.)

btw, would anyone happen to have the translation of the linear notes?

Mr. Z

Congrats Reggie! That is one Holy Grail. :)

On the latest Indy-Cast, I think Ed mentioned that the company producing the KOCS sountrack wil re-release all of the films on CD, but you, my friend, have the original!

bonoferox

I saw a bootleg of the Japanese version in Nanjing, China back in 2005 and wish I had picked it up. My parents are going back this month so I'm going to have them look for it.

Crack that whip

drwynn said:
Don't be too sure...I still haven't heard any rumblings indicating that re-releases of the first three scores are on their way.

But, you can help make that idea a reality by signing the petition at the following link and mailing a copy of the petition letter as well;

http://jwfan.com/index.php?option=co...sk=view&id=910

Concord, the label releasing the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack, will also rerelease the other three later in the year. It's not yet known whether they'll be the same as the previous album releases or have any additional material.

Crack that whip

Michael24 said:
RAIDERS was reissued in 1995 by DCC Compact Classics. The original LP only had 9 tracks, a few of which (like "Desert Chase") were edited versions, and ran about 41 minutes. The '95 reissue has 19 tracks and runs about 1 hour and 13 minutes, and the jewel case came in a carboard slipcover.

1. The Raiders March
2. Main Title: South America, 1936*
3. In the Idol's Temple**
4. Flight From Peru
5. Journey To Nepal*
6. The Medallion*
7. To Cairo
8. The Basket Game**
9. The Map Room: Dawn
10. Reunion and The Dig Begins*
11. The Well of the Souls**
12. Airplane Fight*
13. Desert Chase**
14. Marion's Theme
15. The German Sub* / To the Nazi Hideout*
16. Ark Trek*
17. The Miracle of the Ark
18. The Warehouse*
19. End Credits

* Previously unreleased
**Contains previously unreleased material

It also contains a 24-page booklet with liner notes, photos and other art, and quotes from John Williams on various aspects of the score and film.

Incidentally, when DCC issued its expanded CD of Raiders of the Lost Ark in '95, it also released a limited edition on vinyl. This was a 2-LP set, limited to 3000 copies, and included all the music on the CD... plus an additional six minutes or so on the "The Well of the Souls" cue, making the track about 11 1/2 minutes long, compared to the 5 1/2 of the CD version, so the whole album runs about 80 minutes on this LP version.

ReggieSnake

Booklet Translation?

Crack that whip said:
Incidentally, when DCC issued its expanded CD of Raiders of the Lost Ark in '95, it also released a limited edition on vinyl. This was a 2-LP set, limited to 3000 copies, and included all the music on the CD... plus an additional six minutes or so on the "The Well of the Souls" cue, making the track about 11 1/2 minutes long, compared to the 5 1/2 of the CD version, so the whole album runs about 80 minutes on this LP version.
Hmmm... I didn't know that. Do you have it?(y)

Also, like I said above, I just bought a copy of the Japanese release of ToD, but I can't read the booklet.:rolleyes: I'm guessing the US and German releases had the same notes, could anyone post what they said or scan the pages?

Crack that whip

ReggieSnake said:
Hmmm... I didn't know that. Do you have it?(y)

I do! (y)

ReggieSnake said:
Also, like I said above, I just bought a copy of the Japanese release of ToD, but I can't read the booklet.:rolleyes: I'm guessing the US and German releases had the same notes, could anyone post what they said or scan the pages?

From my copy of the Polydor CD:

"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" is as much a replica of, as it is a departure from, "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Musically, all of the familiar marches are back, tracing the heroics of ace archeologist Dr. Indiana Jones from the turbulent streets and dark alleys of 1935 Shanghai, to the sweltering jungles of uncharted India, at which point John Williams, the maestro of movie magic, and we the audience take an unexpected detour to the far side of fear and fantasy.

In this section of the adventure, all comforting themes vanish, and we become lost in the inner sanctums of The Temple of Doom with a secret voodoo cult thought extinct for one hundred years. This sinister setting offers John leagues of musical opportunity, and he makes a feast of it in one of his best film scores ever.

In attempting a "further adventure" neither John Williams, George Lucas nor I wanted to retrace our steps. This is a shiny new story with heroines, sidekicks and villains you've never before seen. And John Williams has composed new themes for each of them.

I am especially proud of John's "Short Round's Theme" and the nightmare choral chant in The Temple of Doom. These particular sections of the score could be the only music in the world effective enough to knock the hat off of Indiana Jones' head.

- Steven Spielberg

... followed by the album credits. This is in the LP release, too. Steven Spielberg writes some notes like this for most of his movies' soundtrack albums (with a few exceptions like Hook and The Lost World: Jurassic Park), and all the Indy movie soundtracks feature a few words like these from Spielberg. Lucas has similarly contributed notes to albums of score from his movies, though not nearly as often, but he did write some brief notes for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol. 4.

ReggieSnake

Crack that whip said:
I do! (y)

From my copy of the Polydor CD:

... followed by the album credits. This is in the LP release, too. Steven Spielberg writes some notes like this for most of his movies' soundtrack albums (with a few exceptions like Hook and The Lost World: Jurassic Park), and all the Indy movie soundtracks feature a few words like these from Spielberg. Lucas has similarly contributed notes to albums of score from his movies, though not nearly as often, but he did write some brief notes for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol. 4.
Thanks a lot!(y) Much appreciated.:hat:

I sure hope they release complete scores this year; I'd like to hear the unreleased material outside of the context of the movies. There is much (like that Well of Souls que) that has still to see the light of day.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Just realized I have the cassette.
It includes the tiniest 12-page picture booklet ever.

Michael24

I also still have my Temple of Doom cassette, though the original case and insert is loooooong gone. And the sound quality is not in the best shape anymore. But I keep it just for nostalgia. :D

Crack that whip said:

Interesting. I didn't know that. *races off to eBay*

Crack that whip

I still have my original Raiders and Crusade cassettes, along with my original Temple LP. Each of these was the copy I used to listen to, before eventually acquiring them on CD. It's odd that I have the two cassettes at all, since I didn't get them until after both had come out on CD as well (and of course Raiders originally came out on LP, and I was still listening mostly to LP until Christmas of '86, when I got my first CD player) - one would think I'd have gotten the LP or the CD for either of them before getting cassettes, but it just worked out that way.

As noted, I do also have the expanded Raiders LP that's more expanded than the CD. Unfortunately, by the time I got it I no longer had access to a working turntable, so my copy remains unplayed (which contrasts a lot with my Temple LP, which I played a lot back in the day and it shows)! One can fairly easily find online MP3 rips people have made of that extended track, though. Not that I'm condoning music piracy or anything. ;)

Aside from the Young Indy CDs and the movie CDs, I do have one other Indiana Jones-specific CD. It's a CD single of Indy's theme, "The Raiders March"; the specific performance is actually an edit done from the sessions of the end credits suite of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It's a promo CD, distributed to radio stations in 1989 in conjunction with the release of the third movie. The packaging is as utterly plain as it gets - no pictures or artwork at all, and no booklet insert or anything (the jewel case lid is empty; all you see is the CD in the tray), and just plain black text on the CD label and on the spines of cardboard insert for the bottom/back of the jewel case, but it is an actual "official" CD with a catalog number and all. I have no idea how many of these things were pressed, but I'd guess it's somewhere in the low thousands. Aside from being a unique edit of the theme and a distinctive (if very plain-looking) Indy collectible, it bears the distinction of being the shortest CD (soundtrack or otherwise) in my music library - just one track, 2 minutes and 24 seconds long.

Last edited: