How to use Medkit in ET?

Clintwood

Just started playing the game and I've understood the waterbottle function, but how and when do I use the medkit?

Can't find anything about it in the manual.

Have some other questions also, but I'll guess the answer is no?:
- Is there any Quicksave/load feature?
- Is there any Pause function?
...I'm used to have these functions when playing adventure-games and it seems a bit annoying to be without them!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
There is no saving. The game automatically saves between levels.

You can pause your game by pressing Esc, if you're playing it with PC.

You can use your medkit by selecting it and the equipping it. You learn how to equip items in the first level. In PC you just select it with arrow keys, and the press "UP".

Clintwood

OK, I get it.

But when do I have use of medkits?

I've almost finished the Ceylon level now and I still haven't found any use for it. So far I've just been using my canteen when I get low health, and thet seems to do the trick.

Thanks for your reply anyway!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
For example, if your canteen is empty or your health is low and your getting your @$$ kicked, you can restore your health with it.

Clintwood

OK, thanks again!

Another issue though...(referring to the medkit again).

I've experienced that it's quite tricky to improve health in the middle of a fight or combat....so when I'm in a fight or combat and my health gets low, it would be nice to quickly improve the health with the canteen or the medkit as you told me. Is there any shortcut key that provides this? Or is there any other solution to "quick-improve-health"?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Run somewhere else, and use it while running :). At least I don't know any hotkeys for medkit. The hotkey for canteen is 9.

Clintwood

OK, thanks for all your help. I simply have to run ("like a chicken" ;)) to use my medkit and the get back into the fight. :cool:

Finn

Staff member
:p Then again, it'd be little irrealistic:
"Hold on a sec... I'll have to patch myself up... you want any antiseptic? There... much better. Okay, where were we? Thanks for your patience, by the way. Where's my hat?"

Running like a chicken. Logical. ;)

MP3

Actually, there is a hotkey for the medkit. I discovered it quite by accident, so I'll spare you the trouble: press 0.

(I refer to using these hotkeys as "speed-dialing my weapons". ;))

BTW, you wanna know when else medkits are useful? Well, later on, you'll find a couple of levels - the whole German U-boat base (Peng Lai Island) until the Black Dragon Fortress - where there are NO water fountains whatsoever, only medkits.

Clintwood

Nice tip!

Do you have any other "hidden" shortcut keys? Perhaps there is a list somewhere?

...otherwise...thanks for the tip!

MP3

No, but unfortunately, I do have a list of when hotkeys inexplicably DON'T work - most notably in the second level in Hong Kong, you cannot use 3 and 5 to toggle between your shotgun and Mauser pistol (Indy does not have his Webley revolver with him on that level, only a "borrowed" Mauser ;)). :(

Yolegoman

Open up the "Play Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" file, the one that lets you select "Play" and "help" and stuff like that.

Select Help, then View Readme.

Here is the quote from that file:
---------------------------------
It is also possible for a user to access inventory using the
number row. Each key of the row has a preset inventory item.
These keys cannot be rebound.
1 - Fists, no item/weapon
2 - Whip
3 - Handguns (revolver, Luger, Masuer)
4 - Blades (machete, Turkish knife)
5 - Machine gun
6 ? Spear gun
7 - Grenade
8 - PaCheng
9 ? Canteen

If you have an item in Indy?s hand you cannot switch to the
machete or Grenade by pressing 4 or 7. You must put the item
in his hand away first.

Note that these commands do not work with the Numpad, only the
regular keyboard numbers.
---------------------------------

Hope that helps. :)

And always read the readmes, my boy, and you will save yourself a lot of troube.

MP3

Ummmmmmmmm... Yolego? Sorry to burst your bubble, but we already went through the obvious stuff. At this point, we are discussing unlisted hotkeys, such as 0 for the medkit.

But your input was appreciated, anyway... ;)

MP3

Another misunderstanding... ;)

I don't mean that someone posted a list already; I meant that Clintwood said "Do you have any other 'hidden' shortcut keys? Perhaps there is a list somewhere?" He was asking for a list of unlisted hotkeys.

Got it now? ;)

Yolegoman

Hey, if I give you another secret in the game, will you leave me alone? ;)

The Armory Level, Prague. Just before you bust in the skylight to fall into the Armory, run past the skylight, around to the other side, and pick up some luger ammo.

This game is so cool. I could play it my whole life and never find all of the secrets!

-Yolego

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Yolegoman said:
The Armory Level, Prague. Just before you bust in the skylight to fall into the Armory, run past the skylight, around to the other side, and pick up some luger ammo.

That's an old one.