IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The sweet spot is: 1962

If we go by trends in the series:

Harrison was 38 in 1980, portraying a 37 year old in Raiders;
He was 41 in 1983, portraying a 36 year old in TOD;
He was 46 in 1988, portraying a 39 year old in LC;
He was 65 in 2007, portraying a 58 year old in KOTCS.

Indy V could take place as late as 1968, with a 76 year old Ford at the time of shooting in 2018, portraying a 69 year old Indy in 1968. Which would continue the pattern thus far established with LC and KOTCS of Indy and Harrison being 7 years apart in age at the time of shooting.

I HOPE it is not the late 1960s, although it would leave room for Mutt to be away in Vietnam.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #127
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I think the when is less important than the where. If the movie takes place in timeless locations like ruins, oceans, mountains, wildernesses, castles, etc., then it could really be set anywhere between '57 and '77 with minimal need to acknowledge signifiers of the decade the way Crystal Skull was forced to with its U.S.-heavy first act. The key I think is to use settings where the decade is barely relevant. The villains will be a crucial choice as well.

So much can be dodged by leaving America out of it altogether. It worked for Temple of Doom, and it can work again. You could set Temple of Doom in a different decade and it would only require a handful of aesthetic adjustments. It would be smart to design Indy 5 as a similarly remote tale. It may be their only choice, really.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #128
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I think the when is less important than the where. If the movie takes place in timeless locations like ruins, oceans, mountains, wildernesses, castles, etc., then it could really be set anywhere between '57 and '77 with minimal need to acknowledge signifiers of the decade the way Crystal Skull was forced to with its U.S.-heavy first act. The key I think is to use settings where the decade is barely relevant. The villains will be a crucial choice as well.

So much can be dodged by leaving America out of it altogether. It worked for Temple of Doom, and it can work again. You could set Temple of Doom in a different decade and it would only require a handful of aesthetic adjustments. It would be smart to design Indy 5 as a similarly remote tale. It may be their only choice, really.
^ this.

I made the same point up thread.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #129
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky

That would work well and give them room to play with the formula a bit. I wold be down with that.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #130
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Like how the older generation have romantic feelings for the 1930s and the 1940s as an Indy setting, the younger generation probably thinks of the 1960s that way. They take modern technology for granted. And they take for granted at how a lot of the countries that were undeveloped are modernized now.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #131
Wilhelm
IndyFan

1937 - For the action teaser with a CGI young Harrison Ford fighting nazis.

1968 - For the rest of the movie with an old Indy searching for his last mythic artifact.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #132
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm

1968 - For the rest of the movie with an old Indy searching for his last mythic artifact.

That would actually be awesome.
Face_Palm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #133
seasider
IndyFan

I've always thought a fun opening sequence would be to show a flashback with Indy on an expedition with Abner Ravenwood and a young Marion. It would be a chance for us to finally see Abner on screen and get a hint of their backstory that we briefly hear about in Raiders.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #134
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:

Even better: late 1920s to early 30s with a younger actor in the action teaser.

Then early to mid 60s with Ford for the main adventure, linked to the teaser by macguffin, villan or both.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #135
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

Quote:

Fine by me. sounds good
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #136
DeepSixFix
IndyFan

Quote:

As I understand, the upcoming "Die Hard: Year One" intends to feature a modern day John McClane with flashbacks to his younger self as a NYC cop. Somehow the storylines intertwine as he works the case in the past and present.

What if a 1960's Indy needs to find an artifact he lost long ago, and via flashbacks relives that adventure and explores the clues he needs to use to find it in his present day...
DeepSixFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #137
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSixFix
As I understand, the upcoming "Die Hard: Year One" intends to feature a modern day John McClane with flashbacks to his younger self as a NYC cop. Somehow the storylines intertwine as he works the case in the past and present.

What if a 1960's Indy needs to find an artifact he lost long ago, and via flashbacks relives that adventure and explores the clues he needs to use to find it in his present day...

Sounds like the plot of Mr. Holmes (2015).
Old 03-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #138
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSixFix
"Die Hard: Year One"

Oh...my...goodness
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #139
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

http://history-world.org/archeology.htm
Quote:
Since the 1960s, urban archaeologists have dug deep under modern cities such as London, Paris, and New York City, uncovering earlier cities that lie beneath streets and skyscrapers. These excavations help explain much about urban life today and also provide important information for city planning. For instance, they have provided information about the origins of social classes and the foundations of modern infrastructure, such as sewage systems.
In one of the scenes, I'd like to see Indy exploring underneath one of those cities.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #140
DeepSixFix
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Plus it's a Die Hard movie.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #141
DeepSixFix
IndyFan

Quote:
Perhaps, but probably with more wisecracks, explosions and gunfire.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #142
seasider
IndyFan

I don't mind a flashback at the beginning showing a younger Indy like they did with Last Crusade but switching back and forth from young and old Indy throughout the movie would get kind of annoying in my opinion. I wouldn't want a CGI younger Harrison Ford either. I don't care how realistic it would look.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #143
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Yeah, regardless of how convincing the effect might be, creating a digitally de-aged Indy seems to be contrary to the spirit of what this series is. That said, I'd say the same thing about CGI foliage hitting Shia LaBeouf in the balls, so what the hell do I know about what the spirit of this series is anymore.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #144
Wilhelm
IndyFan

They digitally aged Donovan in Last Crusade (1989).

Maybe the Young Ford idea could work only in the action teaser (15 mins) and then show the passage of time with an Old Indy 30 years later in his last adventure.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 03-16-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #145
Z dweller
IndyFan

What would be the point of digitally rejuvenating Ford, when Disney are planning future prequels anyway?

Much better to take the opportunity offered by the last full "canon" movie to introduce a younger actor in his late 20s to early 30s, paving the way for his return in the prequels.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #146
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
What would be the point of digitally rejuvenating Ford, when Disney are planning future prequels anyway?

Much better to take the opportunity offered by the last full "canon" movie to introduce a younger actor in his late 20s to early 30s, paving the way for his return in the prequels.

Nobody knows what Disney is planning outside of pure internet speculation.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #147
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Hagen
http://history-world.org/archeology.htm

In one of the scenes, I'd like to see Indy exploring underneath one of those cities.
In which year, though? (This thread is not about where, it's about when.)
Quote:
They digitally aged Donovan in Last Crusade (1989).
Ha ha! Nice try, Lao Wilhelm! Only the transitions ("morphing") of Donovan's decay were done digitally.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #148
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I think the larger point is that of context. Donovan's death was supernatural and therefore the natural province of special effects. I would consider a digitally de-aged Ford a very different matter, though admittedly not worlds removed from using computers to create comic relief prairie dogs. Perhaps that genie is already out the bottle where this series is concerned.

It rankles a bit because the original concept of these films was to make them rough and dirty. If Spielberg was still making these movies in that vein then what's been proposed here would be utterly off the table (and not just because the tech didn't yet exist), whereas it seems all too plausible now.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #149
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Nobody knows what Disney is planning outside of pure internet speculation.
This is what the man said.

“Not like Star Wars, but we hope… right now, we’re focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.”
“Well, we’ll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That’s what I mean. It’s not really a reboot, it’s a boot — a reboot. I don’t know. We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what’s the direction? I’ve had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don’t want to get into it. I don’t think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won’t be just a one-off.”

Do you think that Disney bought the IP just to make one last movie with Ford? Seriously?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #150
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
This is what the man said.

“Not like Star Wars, but we hope… right now, we’re focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.”
“Well, we’ll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That’s what I mean. It’s not really a reboot, it’s a boot — a reboot. I don’t know. We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what’s the direction? I’ve had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don’t want to get into it. I don’t think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won’t be just a one-off.”

Do you think that Disney bought the IP just to make one last movie with Ford? Seriously?

Again, the world "prequel" isn't in there anywhere. The Indy stories they could tell could be in any time period. You're making a lot of assumptions. Disney has never said prequel.