Indy 5 news 2017

Pale Horse

Staff member
Time to Reign it in, boys. This conversation is strain into Behavior we don't condone here at the raven. And Lord knows were pretty lenient. Nevertheless this is a warning.

JasonMa

Raiders112390 said:
Well when you have a faction of fans who want to accuse Harrison of having Alzheimer's - basically wishing something worse than death on him - just so he won't be part of the film, it's easy why others would see such as hatred.
I think Harrison was the best Indy, but he wasn't the only Indy. So I find it a little ridiculous when posters claim only Harrison can/should play Indy. In fact, Harrison has less screen time as Indy than two other actors who've played him.

So yes, people may not like the idea of recasting Indy but don't act like it can't be done, it already has.

Indy Jones

Do I want Harrison to play Indiana again? Yes.

Am I okay with someone else playing the role? Yes.

Some people just refuse to see anyone other than Harrison as Indy (you know who you are). Some people refuse to see Indiana portrayed any OLDER than his appearance in LC (they know who they are).

Accusing people of hating Harrison Ford is f*cking dumb. Getting pissy that others are willing to see someone else play the role (as has been done PLENTY already) is f*cking dumb.

If people can accept Sean Flanery, or Doug Lee as Indy, why is it an issue if someone else takes the place on the silver screen?

I'm a fan of the character that George Lucas created. Was Indiana infused with Harrison-specific qualities? Well, yeah. Unavoidable. But I'm not just watching the character because he's Harrison Ford. If Harrison is all you care about, then in a grander sense, why are you here? Furthermore, when Ford retires from the role, will you go away from this place since the franchise left him behind? Do you like anything from the franchise OTHER than the four movies?

If Harrison keeps playing him, I'M fan enough to keep watching. If Harrison doesn't, I'm ALSO fan enough to keep watching.

Enough of this stupidity, please.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
Time to Reign it in, boys. This conversation is strain into Behavior we don't condone here at the raven. And Lord knows were pretty lenient. Nevertheless this is a warning.
giphy.gif

Remember that?

You getting soft in your old age, Horsie? ;)

Last edited:

Raiders90

Well getting back on topic with Indy V.
I've seen people speculate that the film would take place in the 1960s or even the 1970s, but the question is, why would it need to? I really doubt they'll do the 60s, and even if they did it would be no later than the early early 60s. But are there not ways of doing it with Harrison that don't require going past 1959?

Tibor

Z dweller said:
Easy, tiger. :rolleyes:

Ford wasn't even their first choice, as you know perfectly well.
If Selleck had taken the part, you'd be here telling us that Tom is Indy and Indy is Tom.

Dr. Jones is a great character.
Ford did a fantastic job with it and we all love him here, despite your pathetic Pratt ramblings.

But nothing lasts forever. Ford is getting old and soon someone else will pick up the baton.
Deal with it.

If Selleck had got the part the franchise would have ended with Raiders. Magnum was a favorite of mine, but Indy he was not. ;)

moon_tan

I just got myself into an Indiana Jones mood again watching The Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. Oh, how I wish Steven Spielberg and Disney could change their mind and start filming this year in 2018 for a 2019 release. I know Harrison Ford mentioned he wanted to start filming it in the middle of 2018.
I worry that something may happen to Harrison Ford before he could start filming this movie in 2019 in what I feel will be his swan song. Despite Spielberg saying their will be more after Indiana Jones 5, realistically, it takes too long for Spielberg to make another Indiana Jones movie. They should have made more while Harrison Ford was younger and in his prime. Having problems coming up with a MacGruffin? The Librarians tv movies and tv series has not had a problem looking for something to search for.
If Spielberg and Lucas should die in their 70's, I hope Disney can find someone to take over the whips and create more Indiana Jones adventures with a director and writer that really care about the genre.
In answer to Tom Selleck as the first choice to play Indy, I am so glad he didn't get the part because of Magnum P.I.
Harrison Ford IS "Indiana Jones" and he has the body, the charisma and the (y) facial expressions to match.
:gun: Tom Selleck looks terrible these days. I can't stand him anyway and I stopped watching Blue Bloods.
Harrison Ford has saved the Indiana Jones franchise.
For Indiana Jones 5, I hope they can bring back John Rhys-Davies as "Sallah" and Jonathan Ke Quan as "Short Round".
:whip: I hope Harrison Ford takes his vitamins and can hang on to 2020.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

moon_tan said:
I just got myself into an Indiana Jones mood again watching The Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. Oh, how I wish Steven Spielberg and Disney could change their mind and start filming this year in 2018 for a 2019 release. I know Harrison Ford mentioned he wanted to start filming it in the middle of 2018.
I worry that something may happen to Harrison Ford before he could start filming this movie in 2019 in what I feel will be his swan song. Despite Spielberg saying their will be more after Indiana Jones 5, realistically, it takes too long for Spielberg to make another Indiana Jones movie. They should have made more while Harrison Ford was younger and in his prime. Having problems coming up with a MacGruffin? The Librarians tv movies and tv series has not had a problem looking for something to search for.
If Spielberg and Lucas should die in their 70's, I hope Disney can find someone to take over the whips and create more Indiana Jones adventures with a director and writer that really care about the genre.
In answer to Tom Selleck as the first choice to play Indy, I am so glad he didn't get the part because of Magnum P.I.
Harrison Ford IS "Indiana Jones" and he has the body, the charisma and the (y) facial expressions to match.
:gun: Tom Selleck looks terrible these days. I can't stand him anyway and I stopped watching Blue Bloods.
Harrison Ford has saved the Indiana Jones franchise.
For Indiana Jones 5, I hope they can bring back John Rhys-Davies as "Sallah" and Jonathan Ke Quan as "Short Round".
:whip: I hope Harrison Ford takes his vitamins and can hang on to 2020.
I know Harrison Flies planes but he Is only in his mid or early 70's no reason to think he Is dying anytime soon. Didn't his dad die of natural causes at 95 years old? When you turn 50 and beyond age Is just a number Medicine and health is way better then it has ever been peoples life spans are getting older and older as years go on. In baseball 35 used to be old not anymore players are playing well into there 40's some close to 50!

moon_tan

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
I know Harrison Flies planes but he Is only in his mid or early 70's no reason to think he Is dying anytime soon. Didn't his dad die of natural causes at 95 years old? When you turn 50 and beyond age Is just a number Medicine and health is way better then it has ever been peoples life spans are getting older and older as years go on. In baseball 35 used to be old not anymore players are playing well into there 40's some close to 50!

I respect your answer, Darth Zoidberg, and I agree with you.

The late ?60s and ?70s would be a great period to set any adventure plot which has to do with artefacts and mysterious stuff (Nazis in South America, New Age, etc.).

This is just me guessing, but I think they?ll try to go for a story in which Indy (Harrison Ford) is a retired lecturer (maybe an Emeritus prof. with an office at Barnett College where he randomly pops in every now and then), who is then led into an adventure by the unexpected intervention of a secondary character. Hard to say who this might be: I don?t think any of the new characters in KotCS was charismatic enough as to be brought back in.

I know it looks very similar to the middle sequence in KotCS, but this is basically the standard plot-motor used in Raiders and Last Crusade. The big question is: what kind of the story they?ll attempt to build around this narrative frame and if there will be some sort of flashback sequences of a younger Indy?which might then give Disney a chance for a reboot?

I loved Ford?s performance in the new Blade Runner and in Force Awakens and I?m sure he can still give us a great performance as Indy. What worries me ? especially after seeing the obnoxious plot of The Last Jedi ? is that neither Disney nor the producers will be bothered about the narrative, on the assumption that the brand will sell anyway, regardless the movie?s quality. But I hope to be proved wrong and that Steven Spielberg will look after this forthcoming movie with the same care as the trilogy.

Your thoughts, guys?

Raiders90

Actually I find Steven to be as much of a liability, or worse, than Lucas was. Lucas now would actually be better than he was then (In terms of the fact that he IS a great storyteller, but now doesn't have unilateral control). Spielberg to me has been a hit and miss director for over a decade, and if we're being honest, the issues with KOTCS lay as much with the direction as it did with the script.

You have the same creative team on this as KOTCS with the exception of Lucas (Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, David Koepp), plus now both have to answer to the suits at Disney who will want a sanitized product which they will be able to sell toys for, appeal to the Millenial market/feminism, not offend anyone, as well as appeal to the Chinese market. At the same they'll also want to straddle the "Ford Question" in a way which won't totally displease his fans, but also allow for tons of reboots and spin-offs. So you might get an Indy film where Ford guest-stars, which will turn off his fans. You might get a film where he has a younger sidekick once more doing even more of the work, who espouses Millenial friendly attitudes and humor, which will **** off the diehards period; The 1930s-1960s will be shown in a very sanitized form so as not to upset the PC police and threaten the financial apple cart. The options for a MacGuffin are very limited; do not expect a Christian artifact, for example.

I expect something that will please the mindless masses by hitting all the right buttons but will be of little substance overall. Something akin to many of the Marvel movies or the Force Awakens: Great in the moment, but ultimately, in the long run, just junk food; not memorable; lacking the depth of LC, the grit of Raiders, or the all-out over the top frenzy of ToD. It'll be like a Disney version of Last Crusade.

Raiders112390 said:
Actually I find Steven to be as much of a liability, or worse, than Lucas was. Lucas now would actually be better than he was then (In terms of the fact that he IS a great storyteller, but now doesn't have unilateral control). Spielberg to me has been a hit and miss director for over a decade, and if we're being honest, the issues with KOTCS lay as much with the direction as it did with the script.

You have the same creative team on this as KOTCS with the exception of Lucas (Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, David Koepp), plus now both have to answer to the suits at Disney who will want a sanitized product which they will be able to sell toys for, appeal to the Millenial market/feminism, not offend anyone, as well as appeal to the Chinese market. At the same they'll also want to straddle the "Ford Question" in a way which won't totally displease his fans, but also allow for tons of reboots and spin-offs. So you might get an Indy film where Ford guest-stars, which will turn off his fans. You might get a film where he has a younger sidekick once more doing even more of the work, who espouses Millenial friendly attitudes and humor, which will **** off the diehards period; The 1930s-1960s will be shown in a very sanitized form so as not to upset the PC police and threaten the financial apple cart. The options for a MacGuffin are very limited; do not expect a Christian artifact, for example.

I expect something that will please the mindless masses by hitting all the right buttons but will be of little substance overall. Something akin to many of the Marvel movies or the Force Awakens: Great in the moment, but ultimately, in the long run, just junk food; not memorable; lacking the depth of LC, the grit of Raiders, or the all-out over the top frenzy of ToD. It'll be like a Disney version of Last Crusade.

Yeah, that's a very blunt and to the point prediction of what is probably going to happen. Gosh, I remember the expectation I had (and the great disappointment) almost ten years ago when KotCS came out. Now, thinking about it rationally, I'm not even that excited about the next instalment...Shame, though. There is potential for a really cool movie: nothing as epic as Raiders, but something in-between LC and ToD.

Raiders90

I believe the reasons I listed are why there's been such a delay. They're trying to figure out how to make an Indy film work given all these factors. I mean one thing we must keep in mind is that any potential blockbuster HAS to appeal to China now. Indy is a very much American/Western franchise; it isn't universal in the way Star Wars is (and even that franchise has issues in China in terms of marketing); nor does it have anywhere near as big of ingrained audience. It is a very limited thing to an extent compared to Disney's big IPs.

Making an Indy film a blockbuster (to the tune of say at least 800 mil to a billion, which is probably what Disney will want) is a hard sell in 2018. It's not like Marvel, which has a legion of fans cultivated over 50 years. It hasn't had any entry or any market presence in literally a decade, and the last entry was considered so-so by most so they have to think of a great HOOK to bring those lost or disinterested fans back.

I really see this as a lose-lose, both for the fans and Disney, actually.

TheFedora

Raiders112390 said:
I believe the reasons I listed are why there's been such a delay. They're trying to figure out how to make an Indy film work given all these factors. I mean one thing we must keep in mind is that any potential blockbuster HAS to appeal to China now. Indy is a very much American/Western franchise; it isn't universal in the way Star Wars is (and even that franchise has issues in China in terms of marketing); nor does it have anywhere near as big of ingrained audience. It is a very limited thing to an extent compared to Disney's big IPs.

Making an Indy film a blockbuster (to the tune of say at least 800 mil to a billion, which is probably what Disney will want) is a hard sell in 2018. It's not like Marvel, which has a legion of fans cultivated over 50 years. It hasn't had any entry or any market presence in literally a decade, and the last entry was considered so-so by most so they have to think of a great HOOK to bring those lost or disinterested fans back.

Make the macguffin chinese/asian or something, thats how you appeal to China. Ive said shambala/Shangri la but dont make it TOO like Tibet so China doesnt get pissed.

Raiders112390 said:

I agree with you; Indy has never been a commercial hit like Star Wars, but a possible alternative for the producers+Disney is to make an excellent movie that gets a very positive receptions from badass critics (i.e. not those who welcomed Last Jedi as the best SW since Empire...wtf?!). I mean Raiders, ToD, and LC were all nominated for/won some Academy Awards back in the days. Yet, to reach such an outstanding level it would be very time demanding and require a seriously good story, and I struggle to see how they?ll be able to deliver such a movie in two years, unless they already have an ace up their sleeve (and I REALLY hope the do).

Silvor

I must say I'm very curious as to how Disney actually views Indy 5.
Is this going to be the gigantic kick off for the future of the series, or was there some truth to that rumor about Ford agreeing to Force Awakens for more Indy. Could it be that Disney are being a little hands off and letting Spielberg & co do mostly what they want with Fords last outing?

What little we've heard about the work on the script hasn't mentioned anything about working with Disney/Lucasfilm at all, while Rian Johanson was in constant contact with them during the Last Jedi script writing phase.
I'm fully aware Koepp and the Berg could be working with them of course, just speculating, not saying anything here is a fact.

And yes I know I know, Disney is a gigantic corporation who wants as much money as possible, we all know that. But still I find the whole situation fascinating. Either way I'm extremely curious as to what kind of movie Indy 5 turns out to be.

I just don't think Indy fits the gigantic cgi filled blockbuster mold. All the previous movies have been a lot more grounded then say Star Wars, with Skull the most effects laden of them. The more spectacular effects heavy a movie gets the harder it gets to keep the most important part in focus, the characters and story.

It's going to be very exciting to find out what the movie turns out to be that's for sure!

Toht's Arm

Raiders112390 said:
appeal to the Millenial market

You know "millennials" were born from the early 80s to the late 90s, right? It's the generational demographic cohort after Gen X, so there are millennials who are currently in their 30s. I suspect you're thinking of a younger audience.

/end nitpicking.

Forbidden Eye

Raiders112390 said:

The fact Jumanji, an Indiana Jones-lite film directed by Kasdan’s son, has grossed over $370 million here plus has grossed almost $900 mil worldwide hurts those points. People still want to see a classic adventure tale if done right(also look at the success of the recent Jungle Book), the fact that Indy travels the globe make this series a pretty popular one overseas; take out the US gross, KOTCS made more money than any other film in 2008, even The Dark Knight.

It’s harder to make Indiana Jones an “expanded universe”, sure, but there’s still enough history, interest, and goodwill towards the brand that Indy 5, if done right and gets solid enough reviews, will be plenty profitable at the box office.

Forbidden Eye said:
The fact Jumanji, an Indiana Jones-lite film directed by Kasdan?s son, has grossed over $370 million here plus has grossed almost $900 mil worldwide hurts those points. People still want to see a classic adventure tale if done right(also look at the success of the recent Jungle Book), the fact that Indy travels the globe make this series a pretty popular one overseas; take out the US gross, KOTCS made more money than any other film in 2008, even The Dark Knight.

It?s harder to make Indiana Jones an ?expanded universe?, sure, but there?s still enough history, interest, and goodwill towards the brand that Indy 5, if done right and gets solid enough reviews, will be plenty profitable at the box office.

Indeed! Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was a pure delight to watch. I entered the cinema expecting to have a bit of fun, and it turned out to be such a clever and captivating movie (most people can easily emphatise with the protagonists)...a bit like Pixels in a way, and much lighter (and SO enjoyably different) compared to the original movie.

However, while with Jumanji you have a flexible story, pivoting around the magical board/video-game, with Indy you have a somehow tighter and already well-defined narrative frame; so the concerns that Raiders112390 expresses seem quite to the point to me. But I TRULY hope it'll turn out to be a remarkably positive surprise rather in the end!