Indy 5 news 2018

IndyForever

Interesting so that means a lot of it will be soundstage based or perhaps a few locations in UK or mainland Europe.

I suspect its something to do with Merlin & The Knights Of The Roundtable!

Udvarnoky

UK was home base for the first three films, so this is a nice return to tradition. I consider it a positive sign that Spielberg is not insisting on staying stateside, as he had with Crystal Skull.

Ford just needs to avoid plane crashes for the next twelve months, which is plenty of time to polish the script (which as of the fall Koepp was calling nearly done) and prep the heck out of the production. Here is hoping John Wiliams and Michael Kahn keep themselves healthy for the next two years also.

Udvarnoky

Yeah, casting announcements tend to happen pretty close to shooting, although with a script that has probably been finished at a broad level for some time now, I am sure Spielberg already has some actors in mind for certain characters.

I wonder who Mark Rylance is going to play.

Wow! So basically they've already got the story + casting and the rest sorted. Makes sense, if you think about it, but they've been quite reticent about detailed info so far. Let's hope to hear more soon!

Udvarnoky

We are probably still a long way from story details. Knowing the start date could be more about needing to book the soundstages far in advance than anything else. That said, there is no way to spin this in a negative way. It is good, concrete news about a movie that has never been this close to being real.

Walecs

IndyForever said:
Interesting so that means a lot of it will be soundstage based or perhaps a few locations in UK or mainland Europe.

I suspect its something to do with Merlin & The Knights Of The Roundtable!

Fingers crossed. That would be awesome! (y)

Grizzlor

I think most casting will be announced late 2017, early 2018. I'll see Karen at a convention in April, but I'm sure she's sworn to secrecy. Let's hope that the UK move will mean a wiser physical budget. His Hawaii sets looked absolutely terrible.

Finn

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
I think most casting will be announced late 2017, early 2018.
I can say with reliable certainty that most of this statement is getting it wrong.

Udvarnoky

Grizzlor said:
Let's hope that the UK move will mean a wiser physical budget. His Hawaii sets looked absolutely terrible.

The sets on Crystal Skull were fantastic; Guy Dyas built a lot of great, physical environments. The problem is that the style that Spielberg/Kaminski concocted gave the whole movie a plastic look which undermined that work.

The Man

Assuming that filming on Episode IX wraps mid-to-late 2018, it would make absolute and practical sense for Disney-Lucasfilm to retain the same sound stages, so that pre-production design on Indy V's sets could begin with plenty of time to spare, rather than upping sticks and looking for somewhere else.

Olliana

I'm just glad they keep waiting for Harrison Ford to get old enough to play the role again.:gun:

Anyway, shooting in Europe is exciting news, as this is a big step up from exclusively shooting in the US. Even though it made sense storywise, KOTCS felt very contained that way.

IndyForever

Walecs said:
Fingers crossed. That would be awesome! (y)
Sure would but that is me just assuming though as no other significant UK legends which fit into the IJ franchise!

It could be like Temple or Last Crusade using UK as the main production base but some location work in mainland Europe or even Asia.

Its just a fan theory of mine but I have always thought having the Knights Of The Round Table throne room (guarded by Merlin no less) as gateway to a fantastic Atlantis underground city would fit very well into Indiana Jones franchise :hat:

Udvarnoky

Arthurian legend was already done in Last Crusade. Going back to the well would be safe, but kind of disappointing. Still, if Crystal Skull trained me in nothing else, it trained me to be more skeptical of execution than concept.

micsteam

Lucasfilm/Disney signed with Pinewood Studios to do not one but TWO Indiana Jones films, this did indeed happen as Lucasfilm/Disney signed to make the next two more Star Wars movies ( after finishing TFA) at Pinewood they signed for two Indy movies. :hat: