• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

jsarino

Djd1 indirectly inspired me to post about Indy jackets, and that I don't see a thread on jackets in a search. :) I don't have an Indy jacket myself, but I'm looking around and want to hear about what kind you have, and if you like it (or even don't like it)! Thanks in advance. (y)

Djd1

We really are spoilt for choice these days...

The current Todds offering looks very good value and accurate. It does seem to depend upon which batch of leather he has at the time though.

The Kelso looks great but is at the top of the price bracket. There's also US Wings of course. Well made as a real world jacket.

Wested are good value for money too although more so for those on my side of the pond.

Also Magnoli. I used to have one. Nicely made but the pattern is somewhat out dated now since the advent of Tony Nowaks Raiders copy which spawned the Kelso, Wested Hero and Steele and Jones ... Lots of choice!

jsarino

I suppose from the "reasonable" standpoint, I do like the Wested and Todd offerings. I would have to wait a bit if I ordered the Wested version (overseas shipping and such). Djd1, did you get your Wested with the satin sleeves, or had the inner lining all cotton? Anyways, my offer to buy your Wested is still on the table, though I wonder how it'll fit me...my jacket size may be different from yours. :p

Djd1

I got the cotton sleeves. I always do if there's an option. Satin sleeves are always the first thing to go in my experience.

jsarino

Djd1 said:
I got the cotton sleeves. I always do if there's an option. Satin sleeves are always the first thing to go in my experience.

Good to know...thanks for the tip!

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
When it comes to hats, jackets, whips etc. my approach is: go to the original supplier, so I'm the proud owner of a 15-year old Last Crusade lamp skin Wested :hat:

jsarino

@Sakis--any pics of your Wested today? :) After reading the history of the Indy jacket through the films, it's almost as colorful on its origins as the fedora.

I'm just about settled to get the Wested shrunken lambskin...thanks for all the input! :hat: I need to measure myself for a good fit, and will order this in the next month or so. Since summer is coming up around here, it'll be odd to get this while it's 90 degrees Fahrenheit outside. :p

Djd1

The wested Hero pattern is definitely their most screen accurate for Raiders. Keep in mind though that the fit is odd. It's meant to be. The Raiders jacket is constantly sliding about on Ford's shoulders. The last crusade jacket is much more conventional in that respect.

S. Dakota Jones

I have a Todd's that I won ebay for a great price! It was already heavily distressed and it fits great too. I am probably going to Wested to have a ToD jacket made(made on request even though Peter has stated they will add the option to the website). But other than the pocket size, the one I have now will work for now.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
jsarino said:
@Sakis--any pics of your Wested today? :)

DSC_0022_zpsd8b19880.jpg

DSC_0020_zps5d344e71.jpg

DSC_0021_zps4a437962.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics but I used my mobile phone. As you can see at the bottom front the jacket has been stitched differently when the lining was replaced a few years back. Other than that the jacket is holding up pretty good.

micsteam

I have a Wested I bought used on an other forum, I like it but I'd like a custom jacket to my measurements. In the near future I'm getting a a Custom Wested Hero Raiders. Can't go wrong with a Wested but Steele and Jones make an excellent jacket (I'm considering one now) and Bill Kelso make an unbelievable jacket but quite expensive if not "THE" most expensive but if money's not an object Kelso could be the way to go. :hat:

Goodeknight

WESTED!

Tailored to my measurements. When people admire it and say, "Nice Indiana Jones jacket," I get to say, "Yeah, I had it custom made in England by the company that made them for the movies."

Why go with anything else?

Djd1

Well, because they don't make the best jackets... I've owned four Westeds but they only got the Raiders look right once they were able to copy a Tony Nowak, because Tony was leant an original to copy. The Wested hero is now a good pattern but only Bill Kelso and Steele and Jones have been using the correct raiders leather.

jsarino

Djd1 said:
Well, because they don't make the best jackets... I've owned four Westeds but they only got the Raiders look right once they were able to copy a Tony Nowak, because Tony was leant an original to copy. The Wested hero is now a good pattern but only Bill Kelso and Steele and Jones have been using the correct raiders leather.

So now in your opinion the Bill Kelso or Steele and Jones if budget isn't a concern?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
How can it be that the original maker doesn't make good copies? Is there something I don't get?

Djd1

It's a long and convoluted story but to put it simply Peter who now runs Wested, would have made the Raiders jacket like any other disposable film project. It wasn't until years later that anyone saw the commercial possibilities of manufacturing replicas for the public. By then it was pretty clear that the patterns for Raiders at least no longer existed. Wested could always make a good Crusade jacket but that was quite a different beast to the Raiders jacket in that it has a much more conventional fit. After Tony Nowak got the job of mmaking the jacket for CS he was apparently lent an original raiders jacket by lucasfilm to copy. The Wested hero, Steele and Jones and Kelso all come about as copies of this copy in one way or another. Don't get me wrong, the Wested Hero is a great jacket but Peter hasn't sourced and striated lamb that high definition prints of raiders clearly show the jacket was made of.

Money no object the Kelso is the best replica. Higher quality construction and higher quality leather but the Steele and Jones is also very good in terms of looking the part.

jsarino

I'm resurrecting this thread because I want to get some opinions on the leather itself. I've come across a couple of people that are selling their Westeds, both at the same size I'm looking for. One though is made of goatskin, the other lambskin, both claiming to be the "Hero" jacket. Which would you guys recommend as far as leather to go for?

jsarino

Ugh, so I measured myself and I'm 39". The two Westeds are 38R. For you Wested people, is it safe to assume that they are measured exactly as they are, not bigger or smaller than the size indicated? Thanks in advance.