• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Yeah I would probably recommend to anybody wanting a first jacket an OTR Wested. I've seen some really excellent cosplays with OTR Wested jackets. A bit of distressing goes a long way, and the OTR jackets are really good jackets as well, made to be wearable everyday jackets.

emtiem

Drones33 said:
I’d go for Wested if I were you. Better quality and fit than Todd’s, (apparently), half the cost of Magnoli’s made to measure jackets and more screen accurate than their White Label offering (by the looks of it on the magnoli website). Wested has a great choice of leathers available, plus the option to have one custom made without breaking the bank. (y) It’s also always worth checking out the Clearance section of Westeds site. I’ve picked up a couple of bargains on there over the years for less than £150 :)

And I picked up a nearly-new Raiders in lamb from eBay a month or two back for only £95. The fit is perfect and the leather is so supple: it's gorgeous. Just a bit light for the weather at the moment (English spring: ha!)

I did also pick up a Raiders Novapelle in D Brown from the clearance section of Wested's website just after! It was only £175 and was the perfect size, albeit with custom longer sleeves (and I'd rather have longer sleeves than too short). I really like the fit and the more substantial leather, and the sleeves seem fine to me (I tend to think leather jackets should have long sleeves), plus they'll probably ruck up over time anyway. It certainly needs a lot more wear to look less fresh though.
But I did want to ask others who've bought Novapelle: it seems a little fragile where water is concerned? Whenever it gets a splash on it it seems never to dry out: I still have a few dark spots on it when some snowflakes fell on it weeks ago! Does it need treatment in some way? I like the look of them aged up but I don't want to look like it's got drips on it all the time.

My_Novapelle3_copy.jpg

Last edited:

emtiem

I'm hoping it'll age up to look like this one I spotted on eBay (too big for me sadly!); I think this looks perfect and its had five years' of wear:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Drones33

emtiem said:
I did also pick up a Raiders Novapelle in D Brown from the clearance section of Wested's website just after! It was only £175 and was the perfect size, albeit with custom longer sleeves (and I'd rather have longer sleeves than too short). I really like the fit and the more substantial leather, and the sleeves seem fine to me (I tend to think leather jackets should have long sleeves), plus they'll probably ruck up over time anyway. It certainly needs a lot more wear to look less fresh though.
But I did want to ask others who've bought Novapelle: it seems a little fragile where water is concerned? Whenever it gets a splash on it it seems never to dry out: I still have a few dark spots on it when some snowflakes fell on it weeks ago! Does it need treatment in some way? I like the look of them aged up but I don't want to look like it's got drips on it all the time.
You could give it a coat of Pecards. That would darken it initially but would go a long way towards making it more water resistant.

emtiem

I'm not sure I want it darker to be honest; it'd be a shame to do that so soon. Did yours hold water? Maybe I should drop Wested a line and ask.

Has their website been displaying okay for everyone else recently? It's really tiny on my screen.

emtiem

Incidentally, for anyone like me who's only recently joined this thread and is frustrated by Photobucket spoiling it(!) by removing all of their old links, there's now a fix which you can add as an extension to Chrome. Add this extension right here and the pictures are back! :)

Drones33

emtiem said:
I'm not sure I want it darker to be honest; it'd be a shame to do that so soon. Did yours hold water? Maybe I should drop Wested a line and ask..
I must say I agree. I didn’t give mine the Pecards treatment for about a year, because I really like the dusty look that novapelle aquires over time. Yes, mine did show up where it had been rained on, at least for a while. But that spotting soon disappeared, or at least diminished as the jacket began to pick up little marks and scuffs etc. And that’s one of the biggest appeals of novapelle, for me; the fact that it naturally weathers beautifully, and quite quickly.

I meant to say, your novapelle Raiders is gorgeous. And I think you’re right, the slightly longer sleeves look great.

TheFedora

Major West said:
Yeah I would probably recommend to anybody wanting a first jacket an OTR Wested. I've seen some really excellent cosplays with OTR Wested jackets. A bit of distressing goes a long way, and the OTR jackets are really good jackets as well, made to be wearable everyday jackets.

Thank you and all the others who recommend Wested! I think after looking at their website I might get their Temple of Doom Jacket, maybe as a birthday present to myself this year.

emtiem

Drones33 said:
I must say I agree. I didn?t give mine the Pecards treatment for about a year, because I really like the dusty look that novapelle aquires over time. Yes, mine did show up where it had been rained on, at least for a while. But that spotting soon disappeared, or at least diminished as the jacket began to pick up little marks and scuffs etc. And that?s one of the biggest appeals of novapelle, for me; the fact that it naturally weathers beautifully, and quite quickly.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured to be honest: I just have to brave and expose it to the elements a little more! :) I really like that dusty look too and the easy weathering really attracted me to it.
Wested did get back incidentally: they said to give it a soft brush if it gets too wet rather than rubbing any water into the skin. We'll see I guess.

Drones33 said:
I meant to say, your novapelle Raiders is gorgeous. And I think you?re right, the slightly longer sleeves look great.

Thank you; you're very kind. It definitely needs a lot more wear to get that new jacket sheen to go, but I'm very happy with it.

emtiem

I'm curious: has anyone gone for a Wested Skyfall? I rather like the idea of what looks like a slightly more fitted Indy-ish style jacket.
It looks great here in Shrunken Lamb:

13775594_1042099739218531_7512015059689913277_n.jpg

Glenville86

My last Wested jacket in shrunken lamb was a bust...?

The jacket lining was sticking out over an inch on the sleeves and bottom of the jacket. There was something else but cannot remember what. Gave it to a co-worker.

I did like the leather.

Drones33

emtiem said:
I'm curious: has anyone gone for a Wested Skyfall? I rather like the idea of what looks like a slightly more fitted Indy-ish style jacket.
It looks great here in Shrunken Lamb:

My Wested Skyfall in shrunken lamb. Nice jacket, very slim fit though...
skyfall_1_by_00177840-dcd2ccj.jpg

Drones33

And the pockets are so small as to be all but useless, so I would advise opting for an extra inside pocket.

Glenville86

emtiem said:
Did your Shrunken Lamb look like the image of the Skyfall on the previous page?

Leather looks like Drones jacket. About 80% of the Wested jackets I have owned were really well made. It is the 20% that bugged me. A couple custom jackets and a few Indy ones were off in some ways. Still have plenty of them though. ;)

Since getting a few BK and S&J jackets, Wested has moved into 3rd place but is still a good option for the price.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
My last Wested jacket in shrunken lamb was a bust...?

The jacket lining was sticking out over an inch on the sleeves and bottom of the jacket. There was something else but cannot remember what. Gave it to a co-worker.

I did like the leather.

I don't suppose you photographed the Shrunken Lamb Hero LC before you parted with it? Would have been curious to see the Hero LC pattern in that leather.

j_3_h

Greetings!
I just joined up with this forum (after lurking for a bit) because I am about to purchase my first leather jacket and would like to pick your brains a little.

I?m not looking for the exact 100% screen accurate in every way jacket, but rather a really nice leather coat that is in the Indiana Jones style.

I?m pretty much settled on going for a Wested and leaning heavily towards a Raiders version. I?m also pretty much settled on wanting it in a distressed skin, but here?s where my questions come in;

What are the reasons that a Last Crusade version might be a better choice over a Raiders style?

What are the ins and outs of choosing distressed Lamb over distressed Cow hide? (I really like the worn/vintage look opposed to new and shiny which is why I want to go with pre-distressed...unless someone can suggest another alternative?)

If I do want to darken the jacket, does pecards work on Lamb? And when people refer to the ?Pecards treatment? do they mean the pecard product with the brown tint or just the standard tub?

What exactly is ?the shower trick? when it comes to these jackets ( and does it work for any type of skin )?

Thanks for any input you guys can offer.