Indy on SNES: What levels would you have preferred

fixer79

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Factor 5's Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures! (In fact I'm replaying it right now)
Still I feel that some scenes from the film that aren't in the game would've made great levels.

For example, I would've loved to have seen a level based on the circustrain chase and the storm-shaken boat at the beginning of Indy 3...

On the other hand, some existing levels seem a bit farfetched since there wasn't even any action in their silver screen counterparts... Like the level inside the skeleton of the German zepellin, for example. The movie scene lasts for a few seconds and Indy doesn't even raise his fists or wield his whip once. Maybe it would've been better if this level would've been cut and replaced with another level that deserves more attention.

What do you guys 'n gals think?
What levels would you have added/deleted?
:confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Good topic. I was always fond of that game.

The Cairo sections were probably a tad longer than they had to be - the third street level, the one at night, could have gone, and possibly the one with the chase to the cart with the transplanted German mechanic. It would have been nice if the Flying wing scene and the truck chase appeared in some form, but I imagine that could have been tricky.

Temple started off with two really solid levels that covered Shanghai well. They could have had some sort of jungle trek level between the liferaft and the Pankot Palace puzzle level (which was a nice break from the norm). Good delineation of the caverns into a temple level and a mines level, I'd have to say, but the bug tunnel and death trap scene is a classic, so perhaps there could have been something between the existing Pankot level and the initial temple level. Also, the Thuggee guard boss should have been in it - Raiders had Toht, the German Mechanic, and Belloq, while Temple only had Mola Ram, as bosses go.

Last Crusade is tricky - the circus train and the caverns prior would have been a blast, but they only had one sprite of Indy for this, and I doubt they'd have wanted to do a Young Indy sequence. With that said, they easily could have included the Cross of Coronado sequence on the boat, as the Crusade sequence of the game was by far the sparsest. Venice could have incorporated a fun library level prior to the catacombs, akin to the Pankot puzzle, perhaps, and perhaps something with the boats. This could have been done with some stuff down at the docks, going through some canals, and finally a boss battle with Kazim on a couple of boats with the propeller spinning nearby. Castle Brunwald perhaps could have done without the exterior level. I actually liked the zeppelin level; I thought it was a fun expansion, although those mechanics drove the hell out of me. The rest I was pleased enough with, and I liked the symmetry of the Grail Temple level being an amped-up version of the Temple of the Chacopoyan Warriors from the very first level.

IndySeven

The Club Obi-Wan level was way too short. They should have had a gunfight between Indy and Lao Che's henchmen. The Pankot Caves level was too confusing, and not that accurate. The Last Crusade fight should have been in a desert scene, not a mountain. Also, what's up with the two bonus levels between Raiders and Temple of Doom?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndySeven said:
The Club Obi-Wan level was way too short. They should have had a gunfight between Indy and Lao Che's henchmen. The Pankot Caves level was too confusing, and not that accurate. The Last Crusade fight should have been in a desert scene, not a mountain. Also, what's up with the two bonus levels between Raiders and Temple of Doom?

What bonus levels? I don't remember those.

fixer79

Attila the Professor said:
Good topic.

Why thank you, Professor ;)

You both have interesting points about changes in the game...
I pretty much agree with all of them.

A thing I also always missed were some horseback levels. Indy spends quite a lot of action-packed time on a horse in both Raiders and Crusade and it's a pity that there wasn't any reference to that in the game.

It would've been cool to have them as 2D sidescroll levels (instead of the existing mode 7 '3D' vehicle levels in the game). I would've seen them like the 2D sidescroll levels with the Tauntaun and snowspeeder in Super ESB.

IndySeven

There should have been clothes changes to make the game more accurate. In the game, Indy wears his jacket in all levels. In the movies, he doesn't wear the jacket in the Streets of Cairo and Temple of Doom segments. They should have been some changes to make a jacketless Indy during those levels, to make the game really movie accurate.(y)

dr.jones1986

I got a used copy of this game on ebay and have finished it, so I figured now is a good time to resurrect this thread. It is funny that because they condensed the three films into one game they had to leave stuff out. I own all three Super Star Wars games and those games had to add extra stuff and crazy bosses to make a full length game out of the movies. This game had to do the opposite by cutting stuff that should have been included.

For Raiders I would have added an escape through the jungle after losing the idol to Belloq. A level with the flying wing and German mechanic would have been nice and so would a level with the truck chase (perhaps having Indy ride a horse).

I think the Temple section felt the most complete, though the fight with the chief guard would have been nice to have as a second boss fight in this section.

Crusade was missing several major action sequences, such as the boat chase and motorcycle chase. These things would not only take up significant space on the cartridge but would have been very tough to do with the graphics of the day.

Overall while a few major sequences in the films were absent, the game was a fun play through. I am glad I have my old SNES and N64 (I picked up a copy of Infernal Machine earlier this year), it has allowed me to pick up and play some Indy games I missed back in the day.

fixer79 said:
What do you guys 'n gals think?
What levels would you have added/deleted?
:confused:

Would love to have had this as a hidden treasure in the game:

480564_497294523637866_1223932009_n.jpg

Maybe I'll ask Santa.

IndyBr

The motorcycle chase would be nice to have too. :whip:

I was wondering... how about KOTCS levels in the game?
I would love to see the warehouse chase and the cemetery fight.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyBr said:
I was wondering... how about KOTCS levels in the game?
I would love to see the warehouse chase and the cemetery fight.

Hey, that's a fun thought. Off the top of my head...

Warehouse and Doom Town are both naturals. A chase/fight sequence at Marshall. The cemetery, possibly as two levels, one exterior, one interior. The camp, including snake pit. The jungle chase. The ants, with Dovchenko boss fight. A broad Akator level, with Ugha to fight and "puzzles" to solve. Then a boss fight against Spalko (and maybe the alien?).

That's 10, compared to 12 for Raiders, 8 for Temple, and 8 for Crusade, at least as it exists in the current game.

Thugee

I would've removed the latter two Cairo Streets levels, the second Ark chamber level and the inside of the Zeppelin level.

I would replace those levels with the Truck Chase, the Flying Wing Fight, the Bike Chase and a "choose wisely" Grail scene. Overall a great game and one of my favorites, but it does have couple of flubs in terms of level selection.

DocWhiskey

I really love this game but after reading through this thread, there was really a lot of missed opportunities weren't there? I mean for a game called "Greatest Adventures" there was a lot omitted that made Indy, well, Indy.

I love the game but, you don't even see a 16 bit ark of the covenant, do you? No German mechanic, no truck chase, no submarine level, no opening of the ark level. I'm surprised we got a giant boulder level now.

To be honest I only remember the RotLA levels. I vaguely remember ToD. Never got to LC. Blockbuster only let me rent it so much when I was younger I guess :p

ROTLA

For those with a Wii, you can actually download this game from the Wii store for 800 points, so basically $8. (I posted this in another thread about this game, so I apologize to those that have already read that one!) You need one of the controller attachments to play. Places like Amazon and Walmart usually have them for around $20 and I'm sure the prices will be dropping with WiiU being the focus now. Anyway, I recently purchased the Greatest Adventures on the Wii so my son could experience an older Indy game.

Of course I was the one that started playing it right away and, much to my surprise, I didn't remember as much as I thought about the game. I remember certain levels, but it has been so long that much of it escaped my memory. (Hey, I was in college when this game came out and there will obvioulsy be things from that time period that I just don't remember!)

I'll be sure to post thoughts about "other levels" in this thread after I have a chance to get more time on the game.

fixer79

Rocket Surgeon said:
Would love to have had this as a hidden treasure in the game:

480564_497294523637866_1223932009_n.jpg

Maybe I'll ask Santa.

Hey Rocket- what was it you would've liked as a hidden treasure in the game? The link doesn't work anymore... :(
(Sorry I'm a bit late, btw)

Anyway, I always figured a Last Crusade circus train level was ommited from the SNES game because the developers didn't want to create young Indy sprites for just one level...
But I recently saw some gameplay footage from the Last Crusade Genesis game and apparently they DID add Young Indy levels (including a circus train level) in which they just used the adult Indy sprites from later levels in the game.
Works great...
Factor 5 should've done the same for their SNES game.
Dangnammit, it made me miss the circus train level even more in Greatest Adventures. :(