TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #76
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

The more I think about it the more i'd like to see the "Nard dog" become the regional manager. He's somewhat like Michael but way different enough to give it a fresh spin.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #77
featofstrength
IndyFan

...wait...that was the season finale? Where were the fireworks?
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #78
phantom train
IndyFan

Looking forward to getting S7 of The Office on DVD later today. I've only seen part of one episode of S7 on TV, since I like to wait for the DVD's of TV series so I can watch them at once. It will be bittersweet since it's Carrell's last season, but based on the reviews I've read it will be funny & worth seeing.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #79
phantom train
IndyFan

"The Office" Season 7 DVD review

This is an edited version of a review I posted on another board recently:

Just finished watching The Office Season 7 on DVD; this was the first time I had seen most of these episodes. Fantastic & truly hilarious, and far superior to the overall average Season 6. And, IMHO, this was definitely hands-down one of the best seasons of the show.

Here are my thoughts/comments:

- The various tricks/pranks that Jim would play on Dwight (before the opening credits) seemed to be very much ramped up in this season, and were in many cases side-splittingly funny - Dwight just never learns!

-It was great how Dwight bought out the building and installed the extremely overpriced coffee bar in the front to generate revenue. I liked how the security guard obviously didn’t want to be there taking money for the coffee, etc., which made the whole thing funnier.

- Kevin, though always funny, was in rare form this season - I liked how the first episode had the sequence with him admitting to doing something new, i.e. lying about everything - hilarious. Also classic was his very inappropriate comment in the breakroom when discussing Angela & her boyfriend, the state senator.

- Going along with the above, the clarification that many in the office would make re: Angela's b-friend being a state senator and not a senator was hilarious, and reminded me somewhat of the whole 'Assistant Regional Manager'/'Assistant to the Regional manager' distinction that was a running joke in the earlier seasons of the show.

- Being a big Will Ferrell fan, I enjoyed his guest appearances as Deangelo Vickers on the show. However, even though Ferrell was good here, IMHO he was still overshadowed by Michael Scott and the rest of the cast in most of his scenes. I also found his behavior much more restrained that in his movies (IMHO, Old School is one of the top 5 comedies of the last 30 years, but that's another thread). That being said, the sequence when he ate the cake with his hands and had to stop himself from then actually putting his face in the cake was great – the glance that Jim gave Dwight during the scene was perfectly timed, since you knew they were thinking Deangelo was (or would become) another Michael Scott. It was very appropriate that he left the show after doing something extremely stupid (having the basketball stand fall on him)

-Threat Level Midnight was hilarious from start to finish; great cameos (by Jan, Pam’s Mother, etc.), voice-over by Stanley, funny theme song, Jim as Goldenface, the group dance in the bar w/Andy as bartender, the Toby Maneqquin, etc. Classic.

-I always thought the Todd Packer character was funny, so it was good to see an episode devoted to him. That being said, I’m glad he left for the “Florida job” at the end, since I can see the character could wear out his welcome if featured on the show too much.

-The Dundees episode was hilarious, and when Michael Scott & co. got thrown out of the restaurant this reminded me of a similar scene in one of the earlier seasons (S2?!) where they also got thrown out of a restaurant during the Dundees for being crude/loud.

-The last episode with Michael Scott was bittersweet, and it was nice to see him saying goodbye to everyone (though it was strange how he didn’t tell everyone when his actual last day was – I guess he thought he may get too emotional at the going-away party). The last scene with Pam hugging him at the airport was touching. It was interesting that Scott didn’t seem to have job lined up in CO, which was actually typical of his behavior (not thinking ahead to the consequences of his actions).

-The garage sale/proposal episode was great, and it was funny how the gullible Dwight was “tricked” by Jim into buying the “magic” beans. The last scene when Jim put plants in the place of the beans (in the office park) was amusing. I also liked the sequence when Kevin, Daryl, and Andy played the “Dallas” board game – hilarious.

-The one episode where Dwight was “Acting” boss was fantastic – all of the strict rules he put in place were very much in character, and I enjoyed the “James Bond villain” comment that Jim made when he first walked into Dwight’s office with the samurai statue, elaborate desk, etc.

-The very last episode (Search Committee) was one of the best episodes of not only this season, but of the entire series. I especially enjoyed the interviewee Nellie (the British woman), and her constant back-pedaling when confronted; her initial idea that there should be no cubicles in the office & then that the office should be filled with cubicles was hilarious. Her behavior reminded me of David Brent (Ricky G.) in the original BBC version of the show (which I’m sure was intentional) – I was a huge fan of the BBC show, so really appreciated this “homage”. Also, James Spader was great as Robert California – his scene in the coffee bar with Ray Romano was hilarious, i.e. trying to psych Romano out re: the job interview so he could solidify his own position! Also very funny was his later stare-down sequence with Dwight, and then his dismissing Dwight as inconsequential/irrelevant – great stuff! Prior to this, I’ve only seen Spader in ‘80’s teen dramas (Pretty in Pink, New Kids, Tuff Turf) or strange independent films (Secretary), so it was surprising to see that he could do comedy well.

Special Features:

-As with prior DVD sets, the deleted scenes were in many cases as funny (or funnier) than the actual episodes they were taken from.

-It was great to see Threat Level Midnight unedited!

-The “3rd floor” webisodes were good.

Final thoughts:

I am very much looking forward to S8 of this show. I was initially concerned since I didn’t know how well the show would fare when Michael Scott left; however, the last several episodes of S7 were great even without Carrell, which illustrates that the show has an excellent ensemble cast & as long as the writers, actors, and producers of the show keep putting out a quality product, it should continue. Casting J. Spader as the new office manager was a great move, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #80
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Tomorrow Robert California takes over...

Let's see if The Office still has some legs.

NBC has been advertising that not only does the James Spader character become the manager but he takes over the company and becomes the new CEO?!?!

We'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #81
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Let's see if The Office still has some legs.

NBC has been advertising that not only does the James Spader character become the manager but he takes over the company and becomes the new CEO?!?!

We'll have to wait and see.

Right. As I understand it, he's only temporarily the manager, then manages to overtake Kathy Bates's character, all before the season even starts. We'll get resolution on the permanent manager tomorrow night though, from what I understand. Just who it will be is something they've kept pretty well under wraps.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #82
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
We'll get resolution on the permanent manager tomorrow night though, from what I understand. Just who it will be is something they've kept pretty well under wraps.
Excellent. Ed Helms is a pretty big name now, due in no small part to The Hangover, maybe they're giving him a little incentive to stay around???
"The Nard Dog" = regional manager???
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #83
neverAcquiesce
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Excellent. Ed Helms is a pretty big name now, due in no small part to The Hangover, maybe they're giving him a little incentive to stay around???
"The Nard Dog" = regional manager???

That's what I've been thinking, too. He's got the most name recognition now, above John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, and Rainn Wilson.

I'm just happy to get some more Robert California. That character is amazing in a way only James Spader could provide.
neverAcquiesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #84
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

100 points for Dr. Gonzo

It is official

and Angela is pregnant??? with the closet homosexual senator's child??? That is gonna be sad and hilarious.

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 09-23-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #85
Moedred
Administrator

Kathy replaced Jordan (who simply disappeared) as the home wrecker.

Dwight fathering Angela's child was too easy a call, so how about:

Stanley is Val's father?

Edit: looking forward to Office IX: China.

Last edited by Moedred : 02-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #86
Moedred
Administrator

Final 22 episodes start September 20 with Season 9.
Quote:
Daniels said that a lot of stories would be wrapped up and the identity of the documentary camera crew that been filming the employees of Scranton, Penn. would be revealed.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #87
phantom train
IndyFan

Looking forward to seeing "The Office" Season 8 on DVD, which will be out in less than a month. I wait to see this show on DVD, since I enjoy seeing the episodes in chronological order, the deleted scenes, extra features, etc.

Not surprised that the show's forthcoming 9th season is the final one. Though I'm guessing that even without Michael Scott the show is still funny (based on the the superb & hilarious final episodes of S7 without Scott & the strength of the other characters, i.e. Dwight, Andy, etc.), if the show had lasted much longer I think it would probably have worn out it's welcome. Nine seasons is a very respectable length for any network TV show, and looking back I'm sure many would agree this is/was one of the funniest comedies of the 200X's....
Old 08-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #88
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Final 22 episodes start September 20 with Season 9.

To quote another of my favorite adventure heroes:

"Crap!"

kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #89
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

It makes sense. A lot of contracts are up. And if they would have kept going there would be no Dwight or Toby as Rainn Wilson moves on with Paul Lieberstein to the spinoff "The Farm". Also Mindy Kaling has her own show now, so it was a logical decision. I'm glad Greg Daniels is back in the drivers seat.

Let's hope for a great last season and conclusion.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #90
Moedred
Administrator

No spinoff, this is it.

Searching for the Holy Grail:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/449156
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #91
phantom train
IndyFan

Though I thought The Office Season 8 w/Robert California (J. Spader) was quite funny, I am extremely dissapointed in Season 9.

It's becoming more of a soap opera with the Jim/Pam problems, and the increasing focus on Dwight's farm is ridiculous (though I know it's just a set up for his show?!). IMHO, the episode when Pam had to go help Dwight "clean up" his Aunt was boring & pointless.

That being said, there have been some funny moments, i.e. the first episode of the Season when Dwight competed with the young "Little Dwight" & unsuccessfuly walked on the wire; the most recent episode when Todd Packer pretended to be apologizing to the office & instead gave them "funny" cupcakes; the most recent cold-open when Dwight threw dirt in everyone's face, etc.

It's just that, IMHO, the show has lost a lot of steam; so, I'm glad it's ending before it gets any worse.

Side-note: I have watched quite a bit of "The Mindy Project" (the M. Kaling show), and find it extremely funny; though it's not as good as "The Office" in it's heyday, IMHO it's definitely funnier & more clever than the past several seasons of "The Office". Worth checking out if you haven't done so already, and I like how several current & former "Office" actors/actresses make cameos.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #92
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
It's just that, IMHO, the show has lost a lot of steam; so, I'm glad it's ending before it gets any worse.

I think that happened quite a while ago.

It's interesting to note how the show slowly regressed from the dry, yet somehow refreshingly realistic mocumentary that caricatured common office types into a typical sitcom with increasingly more meme-like characters, and a much more set like environment, complete with the bright lighting and wardrobes (and even blatant stage positioning). All of these factors are pretty important in carrying a mood and feel, and I think they compromised all this to appeal to a broader audience.

The original Office series tended to pull it all off much better, and it didn't stick around forever, giving the show and it's comedy more integrity (and laughs!).

Speaking of, ten years later, BBC meets back up with Brent to see what he's been up to since his days of being a friend first, boss second, and probably entertainer third!

Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #93
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

The series' swan song is just around the corner...

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/office-seri...221209294.html

Gonna miss it. It was really like the only network television show I actually watched.

The finale is supposed to take place months after the documentary airs.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #94
phantom train
IndyFan

I was pleasantly surprised by last week's episode of "The Office" - very funny, especially Andy Bernard's attemps to leave the job cold-turkey.

Too bad there's only two episodes left in the series. Though I completely agree the show should end now (and should arguably have ended last season), this has definitely been one of the funniest shows on TV....
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #95
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

It all ends in a few hours...

Bitter sweet beets...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #96
Moedred
Administrator

The end was announced in August, The Farm (which did not include Angela Kinsey) was not picked up in October, and Ed Helms was making Hangover III from September to November. Usually a long-running show can go out on its own terms but it seems the circumstances were dictated largely by the above.

Skimming the season summary: "The subplot, however, involving a boom mic operator for the in-series documentary, was met with mostly negative reviews... later revealed in an interview that the subplot was a red herring to keep viewers emotionally invested in Pam and Jim's story."

"The triangle [between Andy, Erin, and Pete] has stirred up a number of debates in the writers room, which tells me even they don't know at this point which guy Erin will choose." It seems Ed Helms was a contingency plan for Steve Carell's eventual departure, but they really never knew what to do with him. Maybe Ellie Kemper's character's orphan background and attachment issues explains why a nice girl sleeps with half the office? They should have spent the final season shedding late-addition characters starting with those two instead of making them so unwatchable. I don't know how much they cost after Bridesmaids & Hangover, but it probably could have paid for a couple more episodes with likeable characters in watchable subplots.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #97
Moedred
Administrator

Meta desktop background:
http://newscult.com/wp-content/uploa...botics-4K.jpeg