Last Crusade on location - road from Venice to castle Brunwald

hhjul

Hi,

I couldn´t find any threads concerning the location of short scenes where Indy and Elsa drive from Venice to castle Brunwald. Couldn´t find that information elsewhere, so I´m starting a new thread. I was there two weeks ago. Although the driving scenes are only couple of seconds, I find them very important to create the right feeling of driving in Austrian / German Alps.

These short scenes were filmed in Obersalzberg area, Berchtesgaden, Germany. This area is very well known of its history, it used to be a location of Hitler´s home Berghof, his mountain teahouse "Kehlsteinhaus" (Eagle´s Nest) as well as the houses of other important Nazi Germany leaders (Bormann, Goering, Speer).

Near Obersalzberg is the starting point of scenery road, "Rossfeld Panoramastrasse". It is around the highest point of the road where these very nice scenes were filmed.

I have visited Berchtesgaden, Obersalzberg and Rossfeld scenery road several times, but it was only couple of weeks before my last visit when I realised that these scenes have been filmed there.

Note, that both driving scenes were filmed at the same place, just driving the same road to both directions.

Pictures attached are from Google Earth -related website. I´ll add my own picture very soon. I did almost hit the right spot.

5404927.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/8121138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hhjul

Here´s a picture I took while visiting the site. You can compare it to the scene from the film. I was very close to the spot where they filmed the driving scene. I should have climbed a bit higher. Weather was cloudy, foggy and a bit rainy and I had to wait a bit.

IMG_2455.jpg

Rossfeld.jpg

rossfeld2.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

hhjul said:
These short scenes were filmed in Obersalzberg area, Berchtesgaden, Germany. This area is very well known of its history, it used to be a location of Hitler´s home Berghof, his mountain teahouse "Kehlsteinhaus" (Eagle´s Nest) as well as the houses of other important Nazi Germany leaders (Bormann, Goering, Speer).

I´ll add my own picture very soon. I did almost hit the right spot.
Yes, you certainly did! It's almost dead on! Did you do that from memory?(y)
Too bad the 1st few pics are so big because it makes the thread hard to read.

Thanks for info about the "Rossfeld Panoramastrasse". I've been to Berchtesgaden
& Salzburg twice and visited the Eagle's Nest, the Salt Mines, etc. I can't believe I was
so close to the montage shots and didn't realize!

Welcome to The Raven!:whip:

Michael24

Great pics! I love visiting film locations and have always wanted to check out some Indy ones, but so many of them are in different countries. (Though next week I'll be able to check out Indy's KOTCS house in Pasadena when I go down to Southern California.)

Professor Jones

Great find, hhjul! And really good pictures! Thank You!!! I wouldn't even know where to start searching to spot the exact location for that two driving shots... Really good! Thanks and welcome onboard!

hhjul

Thank you guys, my pleasure. (y) Sorry for making this thread hard to read :eek: , I should have started this other way.

When we (me & my family) left to our latest trip to Germany / Austria, I was going to take copies of screencaps with me - but I forgot! So, I took the picture by memory. It´s not perfect, but I´m still quite satisfied. I was going to take another picture to opposite direction, but rainy and foggy weather made the Hoher Goll mountain totally invisible.

Here´s another shot maybe even closer to the spot where the film camera was!! :D :D :D

IMG_2454.jpg

160.jpg

Last edited:

Benraianajones

Oh! I really like those photos! I couldn't remember the scene, so glad you included the map screen from the film. It looks beautiful there.

Stoo

hhjul said:
Near Obersalzberg is the starting point of scenery road, "Rossfeld Panoramastrasse". It is around the highest point of the road where these very nice scenes were filmed.
How many km. is it from the starting point? Would you be able to pinpoint the location on a map?
hhjul said:
When we (me & my family) left to our latest trip to Germany / Austria, I was going to take copies of screencaps with me - but I forgot! So, I took the picture by memory.
Your 2nd photo is even BETTER! Nice job! (I'm very impressed, not just for capturing the angle but for finding the site of an obscure shot.):hat:
Look at the trees close to the road on the right side. You can see them as young saplings in the screencap.

hhjul

Stoo said:
How many km. is it from the starting point? Would you be able to pinpoint the location on a map?

I can´t give any precise distances, but the site is very easy to find - especially now when you have studied the pictures above.

I recommend that you enter the road from the southern road toll station. It is the one close to Eagle´s Nest bus station near Hintereck parking place. It is very easy to find it, there is some very precise and informative signs all around. After you have entered the road, keep on driving and you see some small signs which tell you the height from the sea level. When you enter the highest point, the height signs shows approx. 1600 m above the sea level. It is absolutely the highest point where you find the site. You just can´t miss it, there is no other place like it. There is only a quite short flat spot until the road goes downhill. If you start going downhill (height level decreasing), make an U-turn. Anyway, it is very easy to find. If you take some photos, please beware some cow manure on roadside...

Please see the following map:

http://maps.google.fi/maps?f=q&hl=f...7223,13.086262&spn=0.054838,0.105743&t=h&z=13

The road goes to Austrian side for a while. When you cross the Austrian border, you are almost there. The border goes next to the road, and you can see the borderline in the forest. The borderline is clearly visible in very first pictures of this thread... and also in the screencap picture from the film.

Last edited: