Indiana Jones on South Park

Finn

Staff member
Every time Sankara gets cornered he tries to shoot his way out by presenting his CV.

I have a degree but certainly don't tell people "I have a record of being smart so I'm more likely to be right than you are"... that's just bad argumentation. It goes to prove nothing as you can still be WRONG... I know this.

Blade

Just seen the clip and it was pretty strong.

I think to conclude, it is at least obvious to people who like the film why some people hate it.

However, it isn't obvious to people who hate it, why people like it.

Major West

No Ticket said:
It's a widely known fact Matt & Trey both like Star Wars AND Indiana Jones quite a bit. They grew up with it just like a lot of you.

It's a shame they don't show the creators of those franchises a bit more respect then.

rhino

I am just throwing this out there but is it possible the whole show really had more to do with America's culture of obsessing over trivial things (example the KOTC or what Brittany Spears is doing) and less about real matters that effect this country. Perhaps, the real underlining meaning behind this episode is that most American's are more concerned with things that don't really matter in the whole relm of things compared to the stuff we are dealing with today.

JerryKing

"Butters" is less of the show's resident cretin (although he is often put in that role, too) and more of the resident pathetic, clueless victim - a spot taken over after the removal of the "Pip" character, who used to be just that, until Parker grew bored of him.

The Man

http://gawker.com/5061631/was-south-parks-indiana-jones-rape-too-much

Nikki Finke heard that the folks at Paramount didn't know that Comedy Central, which is also owned by Viacom, would be harshly and extremely criticizing their precious little summer cashcow. Will heads roll? No, probably not. It's allllll just publicity and stuff. Though anything that Trey Parker and Matt Stone (the boys behind South Park) can do to stop the supposedly in-the-works Indy 5 from happening, I'd appreciate it thanks.

WeAreGoingToDie

Another episode of The Cartman Show. Woo. It was a one-note joke stretched out to 22 minutes. This is why the DVDs aren't worth buying, these episodes aren't worth a repeat.

Major West

I probably would have found that funny when I was 16-21 in age.

That applies to all of South Park though, not just this episode.

The Man

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/10/south-park-vs-l.html

Show Tracker put a call in to Lucasfilm to try to get their thoughts (ha!), but in the meantime, do you side with "South Park," or those behind the "Crystal Skull" on this one? Coming a few days after The Times' Hero Complex wrote that "Indy 5" is still a possibility, it might be time to make your voice known...

POLL: DID SOUTH PARK GO TOO FAR?

Yes. Even if you hated “Crystal Skull,” rape is never funny...
17.5 %

No. “Crystal Skull” was a cynical appeal to nostalgia. Spielberg and Lucas deserved the attack...
82.5 %

27527 total responses*​

*Results at time of posting...

sandiegojones

That episode was hilarious! You all know I like KOTCS, but I still totally see the humor in this. Especially when they started recreating rape scenes from other movies (like Jodie Foster in "The Accused" and "Deliverance").

I think they saw the humor in the "GL and SS raped my childhood" geek argument and took it way further. Sankara is foolish of he doesn't think that both the filmmakers and fans are being made fun of here.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

At it's most basic level, South Park is a satirical comedy show. They do not really take sides, even when I wish they would. It seems patently obvious to me that the main attack is on the fans (us). The IJ plot centers more around the fans, not plot points, character development, "over the top" action, etc. While they do make fun of KOTCS, the fans were their target, otherwise they would have made a more pointed attack on why KOTCS was a rape of the IJ character. Even though I don't write comedy for a living, I still think I understand comedy enough to know why I see something as funny.

Deckard

Major West said:
The votes in favour were probably mostly all basement dwellers though.

Or you know, its also possible not everyone had an orgasm over this p.o.s. film like you.

Alot of people hated it. And alot of people watch South Park.

In fact Im almost certain more people watch South Park then Indy 4.

And they don't have to be 7 yrs old to like the show dispite your observation that no one above the age of 21 can have a sense of humor because your parents told you that wasn't allowed.

The fact that you feel so strongly the need to defend the film instead of letting it speak for itself, says it all. It's not the sort of film that can do that, because its garbage.

And Lucas is a money grubbing whore, He ruined Sar Wars as far as im concerned, so he can take some criticism. You fanboys think hes the 2nd coming and above it or something.

Major West

Deckard said:
Or you know, its also possible not everyone had an orgasm over this p.o.s. film like you.

Alot of people hated it.

It wasn't a perfect film, but the haters are over reacting.

Darth Vile

Deckard said:

Alot of people hated it. And alot of people watch South Park.

In fact Im almost certain more people watch South Park then Indy 4.

And they don't have to be 7 yrs old to like the show dispite your observation that no one above the age of 21 can have a sense of humor because your parents told you that wasn't allowed.

The fact that you feel so strongly the need to defend the film instead of letting it speak for itself, says it all. It's not the sort of film that can do that, because its garbage.

And Lucas is a money grubbing whore, He ruined Sar Wars as far as im concerned, so he can take some criticism. You fanboys think hes the 2nd coming and above it or something.

That all seems a bit emotional???

Forbidden Eye

Nurhachi1991 said:
lol Nice but you have to admit the dialouge was almost identical to Raiders.

No Ticket said:
It's a widely known fact Matt & Trey both like Star Wars AND Indiana Jones quite a bit. They grew up with it just like a lot of you.

Why do some people say, "The fact they're spoofing Indiana Jones proves they're fans!" Can you actually quote Matt and Trey saying they are?

South Park simply spoofs what's current. Just like Saturday Night Live simply spoofs anything(mostly in politics) that's current. Outside of those two episodes(which were made when Indiana Jones was in "mainstream news"), I'm unaware of any time South Park has spoofed Indy. Just because they've bothered to spoof Indy in their main story-line doesn't make them fans. By that account, Trey and Matt are "big fans" of Passion of the Christ and Tom Cruise. They probably just looked at anything news-worthy event and any big occurrence that happened in the past year and said, "Hey, Indiana Jones was big in the news, and it'll be a piece of cake to make fun of Indy, lets combine that with the Olympics and we've got a show!" They could've just said the same for that Raiders Special Edition episode, "Hey, there's rumor of Special Editions of Indiana Jones, lets make fun of anything "special edition" and recreate the end of that first Indiana Jones movie(what's it called again?) when they explode and replace it with Lucas and Spielberg." I'm 100% sure they didn't do it of a labor of love. If it was, they would make fun of Indy on a regular basis.

If they were truly huge Indy fans, I would've expected something smarter as a spoof. Then again, I don't believe either Trey or Matt are actually smart, but that's another story. :rolleyes: