What do you dislike about Indy 4?

Maybe you should take a literature class about internal consistency...

"from what I know of A means that if you add B it must equal C"
Isn't the point at all....

In one situation, the creature reacts in one way... in the next similar situation, the creature acts in a way that completely runs contrary to the first situation.... It's a symptom of lousy story telling, plain and simple.

it begs the unanswered question yet again.... "If that little, big-eyed, turd-looking puppet can fly, how the F did he get left behind in the first place?!?!?!" The easy (But lame) answer is that if he hadn't there wouldn't have been a story to tell.... Man, wouldn't that have been nice!

I suspect there's so much hew and cry because it stings so much to have something you've looked at for so long and never really seen, thrown suddenly into such harsh and revealing light. Like seeing your favourite supermodel without her makeup on, and under florescent lights...

Or .... You create a thing in your story that allows some people to do some seemingly miraculous things, and you have a character explain that it is a 'force' created by all living things that people can control if they're taught.... It then destroys your internal consistency to have that character later, in a flash back, discover that, in fact it's actually a parasitical bug in ones blood.... Would you buy that? Oh... wait... maybe you would....

Last edited:
Why would he have to do any of those things?

All he had to do was FLY over all the people between him and his spaceship, instead of scrambling around only those pitiful excuses for legs that the props department saddled him with, up the 'boarding ramp' and he could have flown away with his family of "space poos", to where ever it was they came from...

Looking the way he did I think his race was from Uranus.... Maybe a lost tribe of Klingons....

:rolleyes:

Zorg

chapter11 said:
Here's something I dislike: That this thread has significantly more replies than the "What do you like about Indy 4" thread. People, come on! We're getting a new Indiana Jones movie. Where's the excitement? :gun: :eek:

Thanks must go to Clint for that.

Jones Junkie

Let's see...

- The fact that it is being made by the "new" Spielberg... more of a worry than a complaint, though, for I hope that he can be the director he used to be for this film.

- The "aliens" rumor... absolutely despicable. :sick:

- Lukewarm on the idea of Indy having a son. I don't mind Shia Labeouf, though -- they could have always picked worse.

So, those are my major complaints. As you can see, a very minimal list. :hat:

chapter11

ClintonHammond said:
If there was anyone here named "Clint".

Oh, Clint. You're really going to pick on ET for its supposed plot holes? This after you told us that Temple of Doom, easily the Indy film the most plot holes, is your favorite of the trilogy? Oh that's right, if someone points out the plot problems in Temple they're just "nitpicking." You are nothing if not inconsistent.

The Whip

Why didn't ET fly at the beginning? Because he couldn't. How can a mother suddenly find the strength to pull a car off of a trapped child? I thought it was obvious that ET's mind over matter powers were amplified by his emotional connection to Elliot.

commontone

Unsurprisingly, this thread is flourishing while the "like" thread is languishing.

Re: Shia, I don't mind him. I think he's a talented actor; he's just young, and hasn't grown into himself yet, and so has an immature quality sometimes that can be grating.

But really, of other young, known actors who can play 20 years old convincingly, and fit some kind of sensible image of Indy's son, who else is there? Emile Hirsch (Into The Wild) is one name I can think of, but he's not quite right for the part. There aren't very many of that kind of actor right now...Matt Damon and Leo DiCaprio are adults now, River Phoenix has left us, and nobody has really filled their shoes as talented young male actors.

As it is, they were "taking a chance" on Shia. But he still had several films under his belt. And I really doubt they were going to take an even bigger chance on a complete unknown (although they did with Alison Doody). I dunno, just some points to consider...

sarah navarro

-Aliens NO!!
every Spielberg film is about aliens (n)
-Shia is pretty cool though,hes not a bad actor and if Indy does have a son I would want it to be him.
Can anybody else think of someone better than Shia thats around the same age?I mean all those other actors are in High School musical and what not.:whip:

sarah navarro said:
-Aliens NO!!
every Spielberg film is about aliens (n)
-Shia is pretty cool though,hes not a bad actor and if Indy does have a son I would want it to be him.
Can anybody else think of someone better than Shia thats around the same age?I mean all those other actors are in High School musical and what not.:whip:

Why does it have to be a name? There are plenty of unknowns who could who could fill the role quite nicely.

sarah navarro

ResidentAlien said:
Why does it have to be a name? There are plenty of unknowns who could who could fill the role quite nicely.
Well I didnt think Spielberg wouldnt hire somebody not widely known,but it does work ,look at Star Wars and all its unknowns it did very well.

sarah navarro said:
Well I didnt think Spielberg wouldnt hire somebody not widely known,but it does work ,look at Star Wars and all its unknowns it did very well.

I'm trying to navigate my way through all your double negatives... but I'm failing at that...

Care to reword it?

Vendetta08

Only thing that I really dislike is the rumor of aliens, that is terrible. No aliens, none! I hope it's just a bad rumor.

"Why didn't ET fly at the beginning? Because he couldn't. How can a mother suddenly find the strength to pull a car off of a trapped child? I thought it was obvious that ET's mind over matter powers were amplified by his emotional connection to Elliot."

Wow... that's even lamer than what happened in the movie....

Jones Junkie

ClintonHammond said:
Wow... that's even lamer than what happened in the movie....

Out of sheer curiosity, when was the last time you watched E.T.? If it's been awhile, you might want to think about re-watching it. Who knows, you might even like it. Probably not, haha, but still...

Last edited:
"No, it's not."
O.k... so I'll respond down to your level....

Yes... yes it is.

"hyperbole"
That's where they drill for oil isn't it? LOL