Any ToD fans out there?

lancetoris

Love Temple of Doom. I liked all three of course, but I saw Raiders when I was really young, so Temple was the first one I really remember.

para_owl

blueoakleyz said:
You know for some reason I sometimes let popular opinion cloud my judgment of things and I have to relook at things from an unbiased view. For example after seeing KotCS I liked it but after I got on the internet for like 10 hours straight I decided I didn't like it after reading what everyone else said. I saw it again and loved it.

Temple of Doom was always on equal footing to me with Raiders (LC is my favorite). It is a good, damn good movie. Some classic scenes like the snake surprise and chilled monkey brains and the mine carts and the villain. I always loved the name too, temple of doom, sounds so cool.

Don't let the internet get you down. I have recently joined this website because I am so sick of going to IMDB.com and reading nothing but hate for KOTCS.

--Will.

The Man

18895491.jpg

"No, no, Doctor Jones - you may not see my left nipple..."

Mola Ram rules!

Stevens25

I loved all the films from the series. I don't know why Temple of Doom gets such a bad rap? Because it was darker? Or because "Raiders" was so good that anything following it would be considered not as good? I don't know,but "Temple" is an awesome film. Loved it!

Montana_Jones

I consider myself a fan of all the films.
Temple of Doom in this regard since it was not only heavily inspired by GUNGA DIN (1939), it also feels like the natural sequel to it. Wasn't even a retread of RotLA either.

NYCGoldenIdol

Here's another Temple of Doom fan here. The movie may have been gloomy in certain aspects(the sacrificial scenes and Indy getting lashed by his own whip by those loser thugees. Poor Indy:( )but I still found it enjoyable to watch.

NLogan

I loved the gloomy atmosphere of Temple of Doom:a human head blood of Kali cup, the stretched human skins on frames, the shrunken head on Mola Ram's headpiece, the skull rock placement of the stones with the cobra on top, with a very evil looking Kali with a necklace of skulls overlooking all.
Very cool plus it had great moments with sight gags like the chilled monkey brain soup (when I was in school I actually made a monkey head bowl to eat from in pottery class), the thugee assassin hidden in the mural, and Indy's best side kick Short Round that brings out some humor in him like in the poker scene. Loved the bridge scene, mine carts, everything (well maybe Willie did get a little annoying).

Dust McAlan

Don't forget this: Best Action Sequence

Starting with Indy fighting the Thuggee Guard, it rolls between that and Short Round's fight with the Maharajah, then turns into Indy's escape from the Thuggee while Shorty and Willie get into the mine cart. Then Indy lands in the mine cart and the Thuggee chase them through the mines. Then the water bursts through the mines and Indy fights his way to the bridge. Then Indy cuts the bridge and fights Mola Ram until he falls.

One long sequence that lets up only for a couple of moments. Best Action Sequence ever.

Kooshmeister

My favorite part of the sequence is when that one guard is hanging onto the back of the cart Willie is in....and Short Round climbs over him to get in and thus dislodges him. The look on the poor schlub's face is great. Kind of a, "Huh? What the--? Hey!" expression. :D

For a movie so often cited for its darkness, Temple sure does have some great, funny, and not overly forced moments of genuine comic relief like that. Another great moment is when the other dude jumps into their cart during the actual mine chase, and Indy throws his butt out, and turns and grins all proud....only to have the guy pop up again!!!

And of course who can forget poor, poor Indy's burned feet? "Water....! Water....!" in pleading. Enter giant tidal wave. Then, "WATER! WATER!" in warning! It felt almost like a Monty Python moment, I loved it.

My only beef with the sequence (apart from how the wave made it through the tunnel(s) without just becoming steam after hitting all that lava), is why Mola Ram sent two cartloads of guys if he was gonna flood the tunnels? I mean, we know from later on that Mola Ram doesn't give a rat's patootie about the well-being of his men (i.e. when he drops that guy down on Indy), but still, he sure is one scatterbrained strategist.

Last edited:

Crusade>Raiders

So I just finishing seeing Temple of Doom like 30 seconds ago(credit music on in the background). Man, I forgot how great this movie is. I still don't know why people say its their favorite, but I really enjoyed it. Even Willie starting to grow on me, and the more I watch the more little things I noticed. Kate Capshaw did some really funny subtle things in the movie, and Short Round is the best sidekick by far(I did like Mutt though). I still skip that boring 10 mins of exposition in the village, but besides that this movie owns.

Crusade>Raiders>>Temple>Kingdom

MolaRam2

Crusade>Raiders said:
I still don't know why people say its their favorite, but I really enjoyed it.

It's my favorite because it is the darkest, scariest, has the most peril, best cinematography, best villian, best sets, best action scenes, by far the best dialogue and the most intensity.

Plus, Indy is at his most badass in ToD, the Indy that says "the diamond Lao Che, or anything goes,' and 'Prepare to meet Kali in Hell' is my Indy. Indy makes John McClaine look like a wimp in ToD.

The Man

Whereabouts is the slightly gorier version of TOD available? Over here in Ireland they showed it on TV a few years back, but I haven't seen it since.

Sam Falco

Crusade>Raiders said:
John McClane calls people ****head and then throws them in a propeller.

Lets not go too far with Indy>McClane.

I dunno man... McClane versus Indy? that'd be one crazy-ass fight. Both men have very similar fighting styles (or lack of) and they bothe have a knack for winning not by being the strongest or the fastest, but making things up as they go along.

Back to the topic...

Temple of Doom is HIGHLY underrated and compared to some other movies of that era, Doom wasnt too dark at all. In fact, the dark aspect is kinda what lent most of its lasting effect, because after the first one, everybody was just expecting "Raiders 2" but what we got was a COMPLETELY different movie with its own style, look and tone that set it apart from Raiders and Crusade.