Pyramid of the Sorcerer/Mystery of Mount Sinai Scholastic novels

DIrishB

Just came across this link on UK's Amazon.com. It seems to be a new Indy story set in 1941. I wonder if this is original (which seems more likely) or a possibly reprint of an older story most had never heard of (like the comic Mountains of Superstition). Apparently this one will be out in October, and a second volume is listed as releasing in early 2009 (March). Here's the link:

The Untold Adventures: Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer

The Untold Adventures: Indiana Jones Vol. 2

Anyone else heard about these? It seems they're short, young adult type novels. Interesting that these only seem to be available in Europe (they're on the German Amazon page as well, but not the US version). I went ahead an pre-ordered the first volume. Hopefully more info will be released soon.

Stoo

WOW! This is the first I've heard of these!(y) Thanks for the news, DIrishB!
"Pyramid" seems fitting for the tale of when Indy almost dies of typhus (as mentioned in "Skull")!

From the link:
"The year is 1941 and Dr. Henry 'Indiana' Jones is on an archaeological dig in Peru when he suddenly
finds himself embroiled in a Nazi plot to locate the mysterious Hall of Records. Can Indy get there
before the Nazis do and prevent them from gaining all the knowledge and ideas in the universe?"

Dr. Wolfwood

I think something is wrong with the targeting of these books... Why are they published in the Children's books line-up? Makes me worry about the quality... :confused:

DIrishB

Dr. Wolfwood said:
I think something is wrong with the targeting of these books... Why are they published in the Children's books line-up? Makes me worry about the quality... :confused:

Yeah I noticed that as well. But they're listed as being 176 pages, so I'm assuming right now they'll be aimed at young teens like the older, original Young Indy novels (Ghostly Riders, Curse of Ruby Cross, etc).

And in terms of worrying about quality, don't forget: the new Indy Adventures digest volume from Dark Horse is aimed at kids/young teens, but this didn't detract from it being a really fun and worthwhile Indy tale. If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend it.

Anyway, I'll keep checking the page to see if a cover is scanned in soon. Its releasing in October, so with only 3 months to go a cover should be up soon.

Johnny Jones

Hey, at least these ones are in English...
(I'm thinking of those French comics and the German? novels, not IJ adventures)

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:
Hey, at least these ones are in English...
(I'm thinking of those French comics and the German? novels, not IJ adventures)

Too true. Speaking of which, I just ordered some of the French comics and the German novels off the French and German Amazon sites. A friend of mine speaks German, so I'm hoping I can convince her to translate for me. I doubt it though...8 novels worth of translating takes far more patience than I imagine she has. ;)

Still, nice to have them in my collection.

DIrishB

So I've noticed this was pushed back from an October release to March, 2009, and then pushed back again to May, 2009.

I wonder if they're trying to coincide its release with the new Staff of Kings game (which is reportedly supposed to be released around spring of 2009).

Johnny Jones

The second book still says March 2009 though... hope that doesn't mean things are getting stagnant over with the "powers that be."

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:
The second book still says March 2009 though... hope that doesn't mean things are getting stagnant over with the "powers that be."

Could be, but I doubt it. Like I said, since the Indy video game is the only "big" Indy media release in the near future, I imagine they're trying to match up the release date of this book with the game's release (a little cross promotion, if you will). It'd be smart for the book publishers' to do so, honestly. There's probably no official date for the second one yet (if there will be a second one...I know its listed, but it could be a mistake, or sales of the first might not support continuing with a second), so the page for that won't be updated until a firm date is decided (by the publishers, etc).

DIrishB

Looks like this will be coming out in the US as well:

Volume 1

Volume 2

They're listed only as "Spin-Off" 1 and 2, but I'm sure they'll also be known as The Untold Adventures: Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer as listed on the UK Amazon, or at least something very similar.

I'm not surprised, as I originally assumed they'd be out over here as well, I just found it strange they were listed on Amazon UK so much sooner.

Stoo

Great! More new details in the links you provided:

"Early August, 1941. Indiana Jones' luck has finally run out. He's stuck in jail in Puerto Bolivar, Ecuador, with one failed escape already under his belt,
when Colonel Musgrove of the US Army comes knocking with an official release -- with strings attached. Musgrove wants Indy to track down the fabled
Hall of Records. But Indy soon discovers he's not the only one on the trail. He'll will have to outsmart and outmaneuver his enemies -- but first, he'll have
to figure out exactly who his enemies are . . . "

"Indy heads to Egypt, continuing his quest for the Hall of Records."

Johnny Jones

Colonel Musgove! Never thought we'd see him again!

Funny how, out of all the artifacts the Nazis are looking for, Army Intelligence only knows about two. (This and the Ark - correct me if I'm wrong)

DIrishB

Col. Musgrove! Thats awesome! I didn't even connect the dots when I first read that summary. :eek:

And it seems--at least according to all release dates I've found--both volumes 1 & 2 will be released at the same time. This leads me to believe this is an attempt at an ongoing young adult novel series with an ongoing plot, comparable to the Jack Sparrow/Pirates of the Caribbean novels I've seen at stores. But it'll automatically be much better since its Indy. (y)

I like that it seems like it will address Indy's adventures in the WWII era. This story, occurring in August, 1941, occurs only several months before the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and US entering the war. Should be interesting. Hopefully the authors balance the storyline well enough between the classic Indy action/adventure story (which inherently features violence) and keeping it toned down for kids. This is listed as a Young Adult novel (160 pages), so I worry a bit about that aspect. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm just pleased with more new Indy stories.

Johnny Jones

Reminds me of Jude Watson's "Jedi" series' for "Star Wars".

Also Attila, when I saw your post right after mine I thought I was in trouble! I guess mods can participate just like everyone else tho...:eek:

metalinvader

Here are the covers for the US versions,Original art!

indybooks_bg.jpg

Both books take place during WWII!

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news20090210indy.html

I really like the covers!

I will definitely pick them both up. What sucks, though, is I am writing an Indy story about Incas, and I was thinking of having the villain be an ex-Nazi with an artificial metal arm, much like the original Toht from the Raiders early drafts. Oh, well.