TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #151
Icybro
IndyFan

524 signatures is not bad, but I think we're gonna have to step up our game if we want to get this book published. Rob MacGregor's blog now suggests that fans write letters to Lucas directly, encouraging him to publish the book. His address is:

George Lucas
Lucasfilm
P.O. Box 29901
San Francisco, CA 94129

I've read that in this kind of situation, old fashioned snail mail letter-writing campaigns are far more successful than online petitions. It makes sense; it's just too easy to sign a petition like this, and it's difficult to verify signatures. All-in-all, it's hard to make the case that this petition indicates a real market for the book, and it's easy for Lucasfilm to just ignore the whole thing.

Snail mail letters are a different story. The relatively large effort required to compose and send a letter is a better indication of fan commitment, and the fact that they physically show up in someone's mailbox makes them more difficult to ignore.

I'm going to pop my letter in the mail tomorrow; I finished that Staff of Kings game, and though I enjoyed it overall, the story as presented was wholly unsatisfying. I'm dying to see how MacGregor fleshed it out. We can do this, people! Who's with me?
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #152
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Hey look, #525 is Georgie's Mom!!!
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #153
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Good on Rob MacGregor for being so truthful in his blog! I'm glad he hasn't stayed silent over the whole thing.

I may just join in the letter writing campaign...
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #154
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawgSkrak

Yeah, that's really going to get it noticed...

Anyhow, here's the link again:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?IJatSoKN
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #155
Jono11
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawgSkrak
And this is exactly why online petitions never accomplish squat.
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #156
Perhilion
IndyFan

on the off-chance that this doesn't work, might Mr. MacGreggor be kind enough to post the novel online?
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #157
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhilion
on the off-chance that this doesn't work, might Mr. MacGreggor be kind enough to post the novel online?

I kind of doubt it. I'm sure Lucasfilm owns the book even if they never publish it, and I don't think he'd want to jeopardize his career by violating their copyright.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #158
Saber79
IndyFan

I was number 528 to sign....hope it works!
Saber79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #159
Icybro
IndyFan

Well, it took a couple of days longer than I expected, but I just posted my letter to Lucasfilm via snail mail. I even enclosed a $20 check (with the memo field marked "for the Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novel"), just to demonstrate that there really is a market for this book. We'll see what happens.

Has anybody else taken up Mr. MacGregor's advice and written an old-fashioned non-e-mail about the book? I doubt one such letter will make much of a difference, but a hundred might . . . If everyone who signed the petition sends a letter, I bet the novel would see a release in one form or another.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #160
Insomniac
IndyFan

I agree Icybro Old school might prove that there is an audience out there with willing to take time to do it at really prove they want it.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #161
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
Well, it took a couple of days longer than I expected, but I just posted my letter to Lucasfilm via snail mail. I even enclosed a $20 check (with the memo field marked "for the Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novel"), just to demonstrate that there really is a market for this book. We'll see what happens.

Has anybody else taken up Mr. MacGregor's advice and written an old-fashioned non-e-mail about the book? I doubt one such letter will make much of a difference, but a hundred might . . . If everyone who signed the petition sends a letter, I bet the novel would see a release in one form or another.

Definitely. Any way you could post the Lucasfilm mailing address (not sure if they have a separate address for merchandising/licensing, but they probably do). I'll do the same (mail a letter with a check or money order) and keep my fingers crossed.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #162
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
Definitely. Any way you could post the Lucasfilm mailing address (not sure if they have a separate address for merchandising/licensing, but they probably do). I'll do the same (mail a letter with a check or money order) and keep my fingers crossed.

I sent my letter to Lucas at the address above; hopefully it'll get forwarded to the appropriate department. (I did find a couple of addresses by googling "Lucas Licensing address," but the listings didn't seem all too trustworthy.)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #163
Kyle
IndyFan

546!

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #164
Skylover SC
IndyFan

do we know if ARC were made? I guess not
Skylover SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #165
Icybro
IndyFan

A letter from Lucas Licensing President Howard Roffman showed up in my mailbox this afternoon. (See? Snail mail is the way to go!) He writes:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the novel was not completed in time to publish when the game released and the publisher made the decision to cancel the book.

He goes on to note that Army of the Dead should be out in September. (And he returned my check.) While I wish he had better news, I gotta give Mr. Roffman a lot of credit for responding to my inquiry.

It seems Lucasfilm is not at fault for the book's cancellation, after all . . . Should we direct our efforts at Del Rey, instead?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #166
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
The publisher made a mistake. I've seen books based on games come out at different times. They screwed themselves over if you ask me. Maximum profit or nothing.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #167
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
A letter from Lucas Licensing President Howard Roffman showed up in my mailbox this afternoon. (See? Snail mail is the way to go!) He writes:

"Unfortunately, the novel was not completed in time to publish when the game released and the publisher made the decision to cancel the book."

Wait, because of all the game delays didn't MacGregor say he finished the novel months before it was released?

So they're lying to us now?
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #168
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

^^ Probably.

But then again, the writing of the book may have been completed, but that doesn't mean the book itself was ready.
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #169
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

im enjoying it so far. I don't mind the refrencing to the movies and other expaned universe stuff. My only problem is why he describes Mac as an archeologist. The movie never says he isnt, but it seems pretty clear that he isn't...hes portrayed as ignorant and not scholarly in any way. The author also makes him out to be this way yet claims both he and Indy are archeologists. Minor grip but whatever

Also i dont like how the Japanese and German agents arent working together, there allies and should be fighting together like Indy and Mac who both work for seperate allies. This also makes the story more monatonous to follow, with two seperate parties of bad guys, plus the zombie leader.

Im one 100pgs in and decpite the minor critique, I actually think it is quite good.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #170
emtiem
IndyFan

I finally got round to finishing the game and it does have a rather fun plot that I'd like to see as a book.
emtiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #171
gioA
IndyFan

any progress with this petition or is it a dead duck?
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #172
Insomniac
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
im enjoying it so far. I don't mind the refrencing to the movies and other expaned universe stuff. My only problem is why he describes Mac as an archeologist. The movie never says he isnt, but it seems pretty clear that he isn't...hes portrayed as ignorant and not scholarly in any way. The author also makes him out to be this way yet claims both he and Indy are archeologists. Minor grip but whatever

Also i dont like how the Japanese and German agents arent working together, there allies and should be fighting together like Indy and Mac who both work for seperate allies. This also makes the story more monatonous to follow, with two seperate parties of bad guys, plus the zombie leader.

Im one 100pgs in and decpite the minor critique, I actually think it is quite good.

Do you mean Amry of the Dead?
I think your on the wrong thread!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #173
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioA
any progress with this petition or is it a dead duck?

Pretty much a dead duck.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #174
emtiem
IndyFan

It'd be nice if they could just release it as an ebook; you'd think the costs would be lower and many here would be happy to pay for it. I get the feeling I'd enjoy it more than the other novels as the story feels like a proper Indy adventure: I've tried one of the 90's books (which I heard was good) and it didn't seem to capture any of the pace, spirit or outrageousness of the films at all.

I suspect they want to sit on it in case Indy 5 comes out and there's another resurgence of interest.
emtiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #175
Icybro
IndyFan

I haven't entirely given up hope yet, but it's not looking good. After MacGregor heard about my response from Howard Roffman, he suggested writing the editor-in-chief at Del Rey:

Betsy Mitchell, Editor in chief
Del Rey Books
1745 Broadway
18th Floor
New York NY 10019

I sent her a $20 check as "advance payment for the Staff of Kings novel in whatever form [she] decide[s] to publish it" (and I suggested an e-book) . . . but that was a couple of months ago and I haven't heard back. (The check wasn't cashed, either.)

Maybe they'll reconsider if Army of the Dead sells well . . . ? Or if you all send in $20 checks, too