Nuked Fridges

The Crux of the Matter:

George Lucas Insists It?s Possible to ?Nuke The Fridge? and Survive

That may very well be true but the issue isn?t whether it?s possible or not. It?s that the director didn?t buy it, the producer insisted and spent time and money proving to the director, who should have final say, that it was possible. Not if it was a good, entertaining idea that forwarded the story. He needed to prove that it was scientifically possible. George, you know what?s not scientifically possible? Spirits coming out of arks. Eternal life. Ripping someone?s heart out. Yet those things snuck in your movies. Maybe you should have spent more time thinking about a good story rather than proving fridge nuking was a feasible mode of transportation.

I couldn't have said it better.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm still somewhat skeptical about it being George's idea. After all, it was a Spielberg-produced film - that could not have been more Spielbergian - that nearly introduced the atomic fridge to us in the first place.

Dr. Gonzo

Attila the Professor said:
I'm still somewhat skeptical about it being George's idea. After all, it was a Spielberg-produced film - that could not have been more Spielbergian - that nearly introduced the atomic fridge to us in the first place.
00MarkItZero.gif

Take it back... take it back!

Montana Smith

L & S were just having fun in Indy 4. The blame can be equally shared.

It's a throwaway movie, and they threw everything at it, except the kitchen sink.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
There's probably a sink in there somewhere... in that warehouse.

Take the lid off the Ark and it's a fancy Belfast sink, or a bath tub.

I guess Raiders of the Haunted Bath Tub morphs effortlessly through Temple of the Lava Lamps and The Last Coffee Cup, into Kingdom of the Possessed Refrigerator.

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
Take the lid off the Ark and it's a fancy Belfast sink, or a bath tub.

I guess Raiders of the Haunted Bath Tub morphs effortlessly through Temple of the Lava Lamps and The Last Coffee Cup, into Kingdom of the Possessed Refrigerator.
bPSUR.gif

anyone wanna bet that over 75% of the fanboys that pushed " Nuke the Fridge" into the place of "Jump the Shark" have never even seen an episode of Happy Days?
<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/3127605" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Stoo

featofstrength said:
anyone wanna bet that over 75% of the fanboys that pushed " Nuke the Fridge" into the place of "Jump the Shark" have never even seen an episode of Happy Days?
I'll bet that for a dollar! However, Mr. Featofstrengh, you get:

+010 points for your comment.(y)
-100 points for the fake video!(n)

Anyone who has seen the original shark-jumping episode will know that the clip of the opening credits is modified BULLSH!T.:gun:

Stoo said:
-100 points for the fake video!(n)
Got to appreciate centering the bent toe...I figured they jumped the shark when they changed the title music from Rock Around the Clock.

...and when Arnold wasn't Mr Miagi anymore. Then its a matter of degrees.

Montana Smith

Amazing never-before-seen pictures show aftermath of nuclear test in specially built ghost town just like in Indiana Jones

By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 04:49, 26 May 2012 | UPDATED: 04:49, 26 May 2012

When the eponymous hero stumbles on an eerie abandoned city in 2008 hit Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it may seem like a classic piece of Hollywood exaggeration.

But in fact the unbelievable scene, showing a deserted ghost town which is the site of a nuclear bomb test, is remarkably true to life.

These extraordinary pictures, most of which have never been seen before, show one of the many towns made and destroyed by the U.S. military in the Nevada desert as part of ongoing nuclear tests during the Cold War.

article-2150247-134C28AF000005DC-690_634x516.jpg

article-2150247-134C28D9000005DC-433_634x575.jpg

They date from 1955, a time when the threat of nuclear war hung over much of the world and when tests like this one were almost routine in the fierce arms race between America and the Soviet Union.

But the pictures bring home the potential devastation that a nuclear bomb could have visited on a small American town.

They show dummies torn in half lying amidst the debris of shattered houses - even though several of the models still have creepy smiles fixed to their faces.

The aftermath of the test, one of dozens carried out in the South-West throughout the 1950s, also shows that some people could have escaped from a nuclear attack, as some of the dummies are merely burnt without being utterly destroyed.

article-2150247-134C28CC000005DC-979_634x387.jpg

article-2150247-134C28C4000005DC-418_634x624.jpg

article-2150247-134C28A4000005DC-629_634x426.jpg

However, these were only the early days of nuclear weapons - before the development of the much more powerful hydrogen bomb - so the effects could ultimately have been far worse even than those seen in this simulation.

It was not just the dummies who were being tested in the fake village - the government wanted to find out what effect nuclear weapons would have on the food supply and other vital necessities.

When LIFE magazine first carried some of the photographs, it wrote: 'The figures were residents of an entire million-dollar village built to test the effects of an atomic blast on everything from houses to clothes to canned soup.'

The remarkable pictures show the destruction which seemed imminent throughout the Cold War - and the resilience which could have enabled humanity to rebuild if the worst had indeed come to pass.

article-2150247-134C28E0000005DC-628_634x577.jpg

article-2150247-134C28EC000005DC-949_634x383.jpg

article-2150247-134D1810000005DC-531_634x360.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...built-ghost-town-just-like-Indiana-Jones.html

Nevada Ghosts: Rare Photos From an A-Bomb Test

In the spring of 1955, as the Cold War intensified and the arms race between the United States and the Soviet Union escalated at a shocking pace, America ? as it had many times before ? detonated an atomic weapon in the Nevada desert. The test was not especially noteworthy. The weapon?s ?yield? was not dramatically larger or smaller than that of previous A-bombs; the brighter-than-the-sun flash of light, the mushroom cloud and the staggering power unleashed by the weapon were all byproducts familiar to anyone who had either witnessed or paid attention to coverage of earlier tests.

And yet today, six decades later, at a time when the prospect of nuclear tests by ?rogue states? like North Korea and Iran is once again making headlines and driving international negotiations and debate, the very banality of one long-forgotten atomic test in 1955 feels somehow more chilling than other more memorable or era-defining episodes from the Cold War. After all, whether conducted in the name of deterrence, defense or pure scientific research, the May 1955 blast (the results of which are pictured in this gallery) was in a very real sense routine.

This is not to suggest that the scientists, engineers and other professionals involved at Yucca Flat were somehow cavalier about detonating atomic weapons. But it?s worth remembering that, in the first half of 1955, the U.S. conducted more than a dozen nuclear test explosions in Nevada alone. After a while, the mushroom clouds from these tests, visible from Las Vegas 60 miles away, had become tourist draws. One needn?t be a pacifist, an anti-nuclear crusader or a modern-day Luddite to shudder at the thought of nuclear explosion after nuclear explosion after nuclear explosion ? and the lethal aftermath of what such explosions entail ? ripping through the dry desert air of the starkly gorgeous American southwest.

Here, in this gallery, LIFE.com presents rare and (mostly) unpublished pictures made in the Nevada desert by photographer Loomis Dean shortly after a 1955 atomic bomb test. These are not ?political? pictures. They are eerily beautiful, unsettling photographs made at the height of the Cold War, when the destructive power of the detonation was jaw-droppingly huge ? but positively miniscule compared to today?s truly terrifying thermonuclear weapons. As LIFE told its readers in its May 16, 1955, issue (in which some of these photos appeared):

A day after the 44th nuclear test explosion in the U.S. rent the still Nevada air, observers cautiously inspected department store mannequins which were poised disheveled but still haughty on the sand sand in the homes of Yucca Flat. The figures were residents of an entire million-dollar village built to test the effects of an atomic blast on everything from houses to clothes to canned soup.

The condition of the figures ? one charred, another only scorched, another almost untouched ? showed that the blast, equivalent to 35,00 tons of TNT, was discriminating in its effects. As one phase of the atomic test, the village and figures help guide civil defense planning ? and make clear that even amid atomic holocaust careful planning could save lives.

There is, in such words and in such sentiments, an almost unrecognizable optimism ? it?s tempting to say, an innocence ? that is no longer available to us when it comes to honest discussions of, as LIFE put it, ?atomic holocaust.? With conversations about nuclear tests (both theoretical and real) so very much in the news these days, these pictures from more than half a century ago might serve as a quiet reminder of just how horrific and insane the very notion of nuclear warfare really is.

http://life.time.com/history/atomic-testing-photos-life-magazine/#end

(There are more photos in this link)

Montana Smith

Doomtown and the refrigerator are aspects that I've consistently defended (up until the overly harsh landing).

The often randomness of the destruction pattern of these bombs is mind-boggling. This also applied to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The 1957 report that Rocket discovered is an interesting read.

russds

Montana Smith said:
Doomtown and the refrigerator are aspects that I've consistently defended (up until the overly harsh landing).
I never thought much (in terms of believability) of the scene when i first saw it, it seemed to fit in with the comic-book style believability of the Indy universe, especially with the close up of the "Lead lined" on the fridge.

Only later after the hype, I watched it again, and close, and yes, the tumbling towards the end is a bit much, but I still don't find it as absurd as some. I really appreciate the scene for it's node to the cold war, '50's style era.

Dr.Jonesy

I'm not a fan of the landing part, but I don't care, in the end. It bothered me a little in '08, and like the other sequels, this film's shortcomings don't bother me.

The landing was necessary to give us that shot of Indy confronting the mushroom cloud which is one of the coolest shots in the entire series.

kongisking

Dr.Jonesy said:
I'm not a fan of the landing part, but I don't care, in the end. It bothered me a little in '08, and like the other sequels, this film's shortcomings don't bother me.

The landing was necessary to give us that shot of Indy confronting the mushroom cloud which is one of the coolest shots in the entire series.

Agreed! Let's take another gander at said shot, just for the heck of it, shall we?

pajibadieindianajonesdie-thumb-500x332-33691.jpg