Volume Two, The War Years

metalinvader

Young Indy volume 2

Anyone else pick this up today?I havn't gotten around to sitting down and watching it but it looks like alot less documentaries are on it,Which I really don't mind.

Some of the best episodes are in this collection.Oganga and Demons of Deception are in my top five of episodes.

Flannery10

metalinvader said:
Anyone else pick this up today?I havn't gotten around to sitting down and watching it but it looks like alot less documentaries are on it,Which I really don't mind.

Some of the best episodes are in this collection.Oganga and Demons of Deception are in my top five of episodes.

Movies you mean, the episodes are the 45-minute bookend ones. But yeah, I'll probably get this for Christmas, since I don't have an alternative. Some pretty good ones, like Espionage Escapades and yeah, Demons of Deception are on there, so I'm looking forward to see those.

metalinvader

DOH! Nice catch Flannery.I guess Young Indy is so engraved in my mind as a TV series I never really considered the edits movies.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've never seen Demons of Deception and Espionage Escapades. I've heard of them, and have never seen the episode or the movie versions.

Adamwankenobi

metalinvader said:
DOH! Nice catch Flannery.I guess Young Indy is so engraved in my mind as a TV series I never really considered the edits movies.

They're not movies. They're two episodes smashed together. ;)

Junior Jones

I haven't gotten it yet, but its on my Christmas list. I'll have it by a week from today, one way or another. (Though I haven't finished all twelve discs of the first volume, yet.)

phantom train

I got this yesterday - great set! Though I've only seen the first movie (with the Trench warfare and the escape from the castle), I can tell the rest of this is going to be excellent. I've seen most of these movies in episodic form when they ran on US TV in the early '90's. I think they work better as films, without the George Hall bookends.

I believe that the WW I episodes (featured on this set) are the BEST depiction of WW I in a movie/TV show.

Though the set is somewhat pricey, you can still probably get it on sale at some places like Best Buy if you get it soon after the release date. Also, I am so glad that this was released on DVD at all that the price seems reasonable, especially since you are getting 8 movies, as well as numerous documentaries (even if you don't watch the documentaries, it's still a great deal).

Indy's Fist

They need to make a "made for TV" movie that bridges Young Indy to the Middle aged Indy. Some adventure that makes Indy who he is in the movies.

Grizzlor

Adamwankenobi said:
They're not movies. They're two episodes smashed together. ;)

Technically, even the later 2-hour movies (prior to the edits) were still 2 mostly separate adventures combined into one.

Flannery10

True, but at least it doesn't look that fake. Take Treasure of the Peacock's Eye or Hollywood Follies, they go together without much problems, because their core is somewhat similar.

IrishLuck1980

My wife got this for me yesterday for Xmas. I'm actually sitting down and watching it right now. I'm on "Attack of the Hawkmen" I have to say, after getting over how furious I was at George Lucas for not releasing these the way they were originally presented, this set is truly amazing and I think it's fantastic I now have these "episodes" on DVD.

phantom train

I've almost finished Volume 2, and am amazed at how good this show is. I'm enjoying them much more now than when I first saw them back on TV in the early/mid 1990's.

One of the many reasons I love these DVD's is that the picture quality is SO much better than both the TV-aired episodes or the VHS tapes from the late 1990's. This enhanced picture quality is really making me appreciate the show much more.

phantom train

Just finished Volume 2 - excellent. Not for the first time, I noticed the obvious nod/homage to the IJ and SW films:

* William Hootkins (who played both Porkins in SW: ANH and "Raiders") played the volatile Spanish dance choreographer (I can't remember the character's name) in the Barcelona 1917 segment.

* Iam McDiarmid (the Emperor in ROTJ and the SW prequels) played the friend of IJ's father in the Mata Hari segment.

* Paul Freeman (Belloq in "Raiders") played the hunter Frederick Selous, in both the 1909 Africa segment, and "The Phantom Train of Doom".

* The main German colonel/leader in "Raiders" (I think the character's name may have been Dietrich, but I don't know the actor's name) was in the Barcelona 1917 segment, playing a German diplomat/soldier.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
phantom train said:
The main German colonel/leader in "Raiders" (I think the character's name may have been Dietrich, but I don't know the actor's name)
Wolf Kahler.

stranger

Hello everyone. A couple of questions. I'd like to buy the R1 young indy dvds online, could you tell me which is the cheapest shop that can send them to Europe? As you know George Lucas provided the story for 17 "hours" (out of 44) of the show. When the chapters were broadcast he had a story credit for 13 of them, but not for british east africa and paris in Passion for life, for london in Love's sweet song and for barcelona in Espionage escapades. I'd like to know if he has the story credit for these 4 episodes in the dvds. Thank you.

metalinvader

stranger said:
Hello everyone. A couple of questions. I'd like to buy the R1 young indy dvds online, could you tell me which is the cheapest shop that can send them to Europe? As you know George Lucas provided the story for 17 "hours" (out of 44) of the show. When the chapters were broadcast he had a story credit for 13 of them, but not for british east africa and paris in Passion for life, for london in Love's sweet song and for barcelona in Espionage escapades. I'd like to know if he has the story credit for these 4 episodes in the dvds. Thank you.

http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w=young indiana jones&

They will ship internationaly and they are pretty cheap aswell!

As for the story credits,I'm pretty sure they have remained the same but don't hold me to that.Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the show could answer that.

Last edited:

Alexandria

I got volume two for Christmas, and really have nothing to complain about as far as quality of DVDs go.:) (y) I was stunned by the clear picture. As for the lack of bookends, I'm not quite sure of what I'm missing since I haven't seen any of these episodes with the bookends. The only episode I was like of like :confused: was the one where Indy has to get a phone installed in his room. That was so trippy and fustrating to watch!