The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Yep, Violet got it!:hat: There's a framed, portrait photo of a woman on the shelf above the TV. Can't remember the source but I recall reading that it's Lucas' mother, Dorothy (and would really like to know if it's true or not.)

The part about it being Indy's wife is a new one to me, though! Never even thought about that possibility before. Nice one, Violet.

An assumption on my part. I can't name a source on that possibility though it seems to be the most plausible (especially since at the time of the series being shown on TV, Indy wasn't married to Marion yet ;) ) and besides, you never see his wife and mother of Susan, do you? Obviously, I had figured the photo couldn't have been Indy's mother, as it would have been a different photo entirely. It could be a different relative, like an aunt or something, but I would think Old Indy and the kids would be more inclined to have a photo of his wife and their mother (and in Lucy's case, grandmother!).

Maybe that "fact" is in the Indy Wiki? That might have a source listed if it's there.

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Annie, let's try and keep this conversation related to Old Indy.;) (Speaking of which, the next chapter is ready to go.:D)

Sorry Stoo. The only reason I put it on this thread was because I couldn't find any other thread to put this on,and since this thread has to do with the show I figured I would put it on here.I promise I won't do it again.;)

Stoo

No need for an apology, Annie. There are tonnes of threads about the show but here's a good one for videos if you find any more.;) Young Indy on Youtube
Violet Indy said:
An assumption on my part. I can't name a source on that possibility though it seems to be the most plausible (especially since at the time of the series being shown on TV, Indy wasn't married to Marion yet ) and besides, you never see his wife and mother of Susan, do you? Obviously, I had figured the photo couldn't have been Indy's mother, as it would have been a different photo entirely. It could be a different relative, like an aunt or something, but I would think Old Indy and the kids would be more inclined to have a photo of his wife and their mother (and in Lucy's case, grandmother!).

Maybe that "fact" is in the Indy Wiki? That might have a source listed if it's there.
Nah. Most of the Old Indy info on the Wiki gets taken from this thread anyway:p (and there's not even an entry for the "Ireland" episode). I read the about the photo years ago before joining The Raven. Maybe we read it from the same website? Anyway, I agree with your theory.

Jeremiah Jones said:
Yep still here Stoo, lurking about, only really comment when I feel I've something new to add. This thread is still probably my favourite, Indy things I haven't seen, where else am I going to find that these days!
Glad to hear. Sadly, we're nearing the end of the OIJ...(but not the end of the rarities)!

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Nah. Most of the Old Indy info on the Wiki gets taken from this thread anyway:p (and there's not even an entry for the "Ireland" episode).

Indeed. You should make one! :p Seriously, if you're not contributing to the wiki already, I implore you to do so - the site would really benefit from your knowledge of the character and his adventures.
:hat:

Flannery10

Stoo said:
No need for an apology, Annie. There are tonnes of threads about the show but here's a good one for videos if you find any more.;) Young Indy on Youtube
Nah. Most of the Old Indy info on the Wiki gets taken from this thread anyway:p (and there's not even an entry for the "Ireland" episode). I read the about the photo years ago before joining The Raven. Maybe we read it from the same website? Anyway, I agree with your theory.

Glad to hear. Sadly, we're nearing the end of the OIJ...(but not the end of the rarities)!

Yeah, considering how many original scenes were cut from the DVD releases (like the British East Africa one, with Henry Jones Sr. greeting his friend in Oxford manner), i have no doubt that there are many rarities. That would also include the previews for each episode, some of them being really good (Verdun and Mystery of the Blues are on YouTube and are really good)!

But to get back on topic. Once again, thank you for the upload, Stoo. I haven't watched the Young Indiana Jones DVDs in almost a year now (god, how time flies;)) and I think it's about time again to put them in, get upset about George Hall not being in them, but still enjoying the content they left. So, thank you for preserving that piece of Indiana Jones history

Like Jeremiah, I still follow these threads about Young Indiana Jones on here, but the storm that came up when the DVDs were released considerably calmed down and there isn't really much new stuff going on here. So, you might not see me, but I'm still there. :whip:

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Indeed. You should make one! :p Seriously, if you're not contributing to the wiki already, I implore you to do so - the site would really benefit from your knowledge of the character and his adventures.
:hat:
Thanks a lot for the compliment, Crack. Funnily enough, I did sign up a few months ago but have yet to contribute anything (directly;)). There is some tidying up to do and holes to fill in the Young Indy section so maybe I'll take a stab at it.:hat:

@Flannery10: Yes, the YIJC talk has slowed down immensely (nothing like those days when Adam was around) but it still has a heartbeat! Personally, I'm pleased to know that you're still here...even if you're just lurking.:whip:

With the exception of "Transyvlania" (Part 12) being posted for Hallowe'en, the original broadcast order has been adhered to. The remaining bookends will be mixed up a bit, simply because they flow better in another order and I want to end with "Peking" for American Thanksgiving. I recall you suggesting an upload of it to coincide last year but I want to make it the last chapter. (That may change, though.)

Just so people know, the latest upload, "Ireland", was shown in June but I made the date as May since Lucy is still in school. (In Canada, summer break usually starts within the 1st week of June. When did elementary school classes finish for summer in the NY/NJ area in 1993? Maybe Annie Jones could shed some light.)

Along with the things you've mentioned above, there's a whole pile of goodies on the horizon which is why I want to finish up the OIJC and move on. Stay tuned!

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Just so people know, the latest upload, "Ireland", was shown in June but I made the date as May since Lucy is still in school. (In Canada, summer break usually starts within the 1st week of June. When did elementary school classes finish for summer in the NY/NJ area in 1993? Maybe Annie Jones could shed some light.)

Well,first I would like to say that I am not from New York.At first,I thought that that's where Annie was from and that was why I used to have that on my profile page.When I found out that's not where she was from I took it off my profile page.But,I do live in a state very close to New York and if their school schedule is the same as ours,school leaves out in June and goes back in session on August 31,September 1,2,and 3rd,then is out for Labor Day from the 4,5,6,and 7th and back in again for the 8th and then in for the rest of the school semester.The same was in 1993 and for elementary school in 1993.I hope I was a great help to you!;)

Stoo

Well, what I was looking for was the last day of school before the summer break. The dates I've been giving these OIJ chapters refect the actual airdates of the episodes but since "Ireland" was shown in June it might have looked odd because Lucy is still in school (which is why I changed it to May). Not a big deal and it's too late now anyway...(BTW, which state do you live in, Annie? I'm from Quebec so New York and Vermont are like next-door neighbours.:))

Here's an interesting quote from George Lucas from the "Young Indiana Jones: Around the World" documentary:

"By the time this is finished you'll, uh, have a good picture of his life from the age of 5 to 20 and then from 35-40 and then from 90-95. So you'll have the bits of his life, uh, that will have been documented."

He could very well be just rounding off the numbers but it sounds like he's referring to the planned "Prinecton, May 1905" episode and more Old Indy bookends!

Part 10 coming up very soon!:)

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Well, what I was looking for was the last day of school before the summer break.

June 6th is when they got out of school this year but,it depends on whether or not they had snow days to make up for.

Stoo

Part 10

Second chapter this month! Presenting the rarely seen bookends for “Paris, September 1908” and the 1st Old Indy Chronicle to use the Corey Carrier opening credits.

The creaky Professor Jones is in midtown Manhattan at Rockefeller Center for a Christie’s auction. Particular attention is drawn to the famous Degas painting, “Woman at Her Toilette” which spurs him to tell another tall tale. (Note: the opening shots of the sites in Paris are in a different order on the "Passion for Life" DVD.) Enjoy.:)

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 10

AnnieJones said:
June 6th is when they got out of school this year but,it depends on whether or not they had snow days to make up for.
Thanks, Annie. So I guess the date could've been left as June (but it doesn't really matter in the large scheme of things).;)

Junior Jones

Hey, Stoo

Any chance of getting the Peking bookends up next week for Thanksgiving?

(I know, I know. Thanksgiving was last month and I missed it.)

Stoo

Hi, Junior. That was sort of the plan and since I've been trying to go in order by airdates, the "Peking" ones should be next but I kind of want to have them as the last chapter. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to happen in time for American Thanksgiving. (Anyway, don't you already have them?)

That said, Part 11 is due to be uploaded very soon!:)

Stoo

Part 11

The old professor grabs a cup of coffee at Mike's Roadhouse Restaraunt.

Since I missed a few seconds of the beginning with the original date, I didn't put a fade-in like the others in order to show the fullest amount of this rare bookend. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States.;)

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 11

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States.;)
Thanks Stoo,you also and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on The Raven!:hat: (y)
I almost forgot to mention,thank you Stoo for another video!:hat:

indy dave

Thanks Stoo. I immensely enjoyed the Young Indy DVDs but never watched the original TV show. It's a pleasure to see what I missed from the original series while it ran on TV.

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Thanks Stoo,you also and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on The Raven!:hat: (y)
I almost forgot to mention,thank you Stoo for another video!:hat:
Just to let you know, I won't be celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend because, for me, that was last month (as Junior Jones pointed out).;) Have a good one all the same and save a piece of turkey for me.:p

Anyway, I really like the "Benares" bookends because they give a glimpse into Old Indy's normal routine. He must be a regular there since he knows the waitress, Louise, by name and loves her coffee. One of the truckers who leaves at the start respectfully calls Indy, "old-timer", which suggests that Dr. Jones has just finished telling them a story/tall-tale, as well.

Another bonus to these bookends is that they give some insight as to what happened *after* the story. In many, similar cases with the bookends, it's a sad loss on the VHS/DVDs.
indy dave said:
Thanks Stoo. I immensely enjoyed the Young Indy DVDs but never watched the original TV show. It's a pleasure to see what I missed from the original series while it ran on TV.
Glad to be of service, Dave. Have you watched all the bookends so far?

Sometimes Old Indy's morality tales resonate with the person/s he's telling them to and other times they don't. I think this one had a positive effect on the grumpy, miserable, "laid off" guy...

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
That was sort of the plan and since I've been trying to go in order by airdates, the "Peking" ones should be next but I kind of want to have them as the last chapter. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to happen in time for American Thanksgiving. (Anyway, don't you already have them?)

I do have them, but only on low-quality VHS. Currently they're buried in a box in the basement. I'm lazy enough that I'd prefer watching them on StooTV to digging through storage. :D