The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Stoo

Part 13

Because Part 12 was posted back during Hallowe'en 2008, I messed up on my prediction (with the dates) as to how the rest should/would/could eventually be split up. So here we go with the next chapter: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 13

To a complete stranger in a HILL'S Food Store, Old Indy recounts his relationship with the mysterious, Mata Hari...:dead:

(Due to her interest in the subject, this chapter of the OIJC is dedicated to Violet Indy.)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
:eek:
Stoo said:
Because Part 12 was posted back during Hallowe'en 2008, I messed up on my prediction (with the dates) as to how the rest should/would/could eventually be split up. So here we go with the next chapter: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 13

To a complete stranger in a HILL'S Food Store, Old Indy recounts his relationship with the mysterious, Mata Hari...:dead:

(Due to her interest in the subject, this chapter of the OIJC is dedicated to Violet Indy.)

Ha. You would! I am not the one who started the running joke (It's all Matinee's fault, so maybe you should dedicate to him ;) ). I am certainly a tad curious about how Old Indy would recount the loss of his virginity and at the same time, curious how the poor person listening to that story manages to not to lose their lunch. :sick:

I think I'll say that I'm flattered by thought and hope no one starts anything Freudian on me! :eek:

DoomTown

Stoo said:

YES!!! Thanks for these, Stoo...(y)

OldIndy2323

First of all, Stoo, you're a true artist! Fantastic job! If you ever put everything together on one DVD, put me on the list for one! Since we're almost at "Peking 1910", and since both Violet and Annie have been curious, I'd like to share what I've come up with for Indy's family post 1957 (i've used my background in Teaching, Developmental Psychology and scrutiny of all things relating to Old Indy, plus a dash of speculation....and remember, speculation can be fact until proven otherwise by reality..to create this family tree)

1957: Indy (57 years old) and Marion (48 years old) wed.

1958: (April) Susan Jones is born.
(Marion's age makes the birth rare, but not out of the question for the time period. In the late 50's and early 60's there was an upswing in the amount of "change of life" babies being born)

1958: Mutt marries (January) and Caroline Jones is born ( late August)

1976: Susan Jones marries.

1977: (March) Mark/"Spike" is born to Susan.

1981: Henry, Indy's Cat, is born.

1982: (February) Lucy is born to Susan.

1984: Marion passes away.

1986: Indy's first Great grandchild, Annie, is born to Caroline.

1988: Indy's second Great grandchild, Harry, is born to Caroline.

1993: (November) Indy's children (including a 50-something Mutt in the background?), grandchildren and great grandchildren and some assorted in-laws gather for Thanksgiving.
I'll be happy to justify my findings or send anyone my complete, post '57, chock-full o' Speculation, timeline.
Stoo, thanks again for your awesome job!

DoomTown

OldIndy2323 said:
I'll be happy to justify my findings or send anyone my complete, post '57, chock-full o' Speculation, timeline.

Well done. I would love to see the complete post '57 timeline you've put together, I love that stuff....(y)

Stoo

KVoss said:
YES!!! Thanks for these, Stoo...(y)
You're welcome, Keith.
OldIndy2323 said:
First of all, Stoo, you're a true artist! Fantastic job!

Thanks a bunch!:hat:
OldIndy2323 said:
1957: Indy (57 years old) and Marion (48 years old) wed.
Just thought I'd point out that the wedding seems to be set in spring 1958.;)

OldIndy2323

Actually Stoo, the wedding of Indy and Marion most likely takes place at the end of June in '57. Each of the Indy movies have had Indy's adventures taking place over a course of a week or two, tops. The novelization of KOTCS starts off in Mexico during a tropical storm in 1957, with the rest of the movie's adventures taking place over the course of a couple of weeks, and the wedding taking place very soon after returning from South America. Historically in 1957, a tropical storm formed off the coast of Mexico on June 8th, which fits nicely into the movie's setting, coupled with the fact that the exterior shots in and around Marshall College were filmed in the month of June. The novelization also includes Dogwood trees blooming at the time of the wedding, which occurs seasonally between May and July, peaking in June.
By the way, I can't wait for "Peking"!

OldIndy2323

Falcon and KVoss and anyone else interested,
so as to not take up space here, where we should be focused on Stoo's masterpiece, I've posted my timeline under the title, "Indy timeline post '57". Let me know what you think!

DoomTown

OldIndy2323 said:
Falcon and KVoss and anyone else interested,
so as to not take up space here, where we should be focused on Stoo's masterpiece, I've posted my timeline under the title, "Indy timeline post '57". Let me know what you think!

Many Thanks!!! (y)

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:

Thanks Stoo, I finally noticed you posted another video. I must say thuogh it gives me another reason to refuse the cannonicity of these old Indy scenes. After visiting all these great places in the world he choses to settle down in Staten Island? I cannot allow myself to imagine the greatest movie hero settling down in that dump. It is easily the worst of the 5 boroughs, and the roads/traffic there are horrible. Sorry for my rant, hopefully no one from Staten Island sees this.

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
Actually Stoo, the wedding of Indy and Marion most likely takes place at the end of June in '57.
See your other thread for my reply.:)
OldIndy2323 said:
By the way, I can't wait for "Peking"!
If I ever upload it!:p
dr.jones1986 said:
Thanks Stoo, I finally noticed you posted another video. I must say thuogh it gives me another reason to refuse the cannonicity of these old Indy scenes. After visiting all these great places in the world he choses to settle down in Staten Island? I cannot allow myself to imagine the greatest movie hero settling down in that dump. It is easily the worst of the 5 boroughs, and the roads/traffic there are horrible. Sorry for my rant, hopefully no one from Staten Island sees this.
Don't worry too much over that because the Staten Island location is conjecture on my part (based on evidence in one of the bookends).;) He *could* be living nearby in New Jersey but it is definitely somewhere close to Staten Island.

OldIndy2323

Stoo,
Finding where Old Indy's home is has been one of my "Grails". Through the research I've done (which actually at one time involved driving to suspected areas to match the style of buildings and landscape...crazy or dedicated?), I've come up with Nanuet, NY as his home town. Here's my evidence (and I'd love to learn yours):

"I'm from just across the river" ("Curse of the Jackal") =
Hudson River (could be East River and therefore Yonkers, NY, but landscape/style doesn't match). The museum is in the center of NYC, but that places it further away from Staten Island, rather than "just across the river".

Car liscense plates are white = NY plates (vs. Jersey's yellow)

Hills supermarket was a prominent feature of Nanuet's town.

Nanuet Mall is similar in style/size to the one featured

Plus, the building style, spacing of houes/property and look of the "strip" where the gas station and diner are located all match closer to Nanuet than Staten Island.

No need to change all your titles...one person's speculation is as valid as another and everybody's right until the canon proves otherwise.

ps. I still want a DVD of your stuff...they're amazing

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
See your other thread for my reply.:)
If I ever upload it!:p
Don't worry too much over that because the Staten Island location is conjecture on my part (based on evidence in one of the bookends).;) He *could* be living nearby in New Jersey but it is definitely somewhere close to Staten Island.

Is Jersey an improvement over Staten Island though, haha. Always thought it was kind of the poor mans NY. Although I must say I have been to Indy's boyhood home of Princenton and must say that it is a very nice town.

Stoo

HELP: Missing Tiny Fraction of "Austria" Bookends

Will get back to you guys re: Staten Island but the post will be quite long and I wanted to address this seperately.
OldIndy2323 said:
If you ever put everything together on one DVD, put me on the list for one!
Something I need to rectify is obtaining about 10-15 seconds of the "Austria" opening bookend. While recording the show, the TV reception cut out for some reason and there was just static for awhile before the picture came back.:mad: If you watch Part 4, it the cut comes as Old Indy is talking to the mailwoman. I have never even seen the missing portion!:(

"World War One! Of course, we didn't number it at the time because we had no idea there was gonna be a sequel! Back then it was just...(approx. 10 secs. missing)...That's why I joined the French Intelligence Service." (End of opening narration).

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles will not be complete without this. Help! fommes? Laird-O?

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
Stoo, Finding where Old Indy's home is has been one of my "Grails". Through the research I've done (which actually at one time involved driving to suspected areas to match the style of buildings and landscape...crazy or dedicated?), I've come up with Nanuet, NY as his home town. Here's my evidence (and I'd love to learn yours):
Superb analysis, OldIndy2323, but I don't agree!:eek: ?Crazy or dedicated?? Both!;) Glad you brought this up because I?ve always wondered if someone was ever going to question why/how I chose Staten Island.
OldIndy2323 said:
"I'm from just across the river" ("Curse of the Jackal") =
Hudson River (could be East River and therefore Yonkers, NY, but landscape/style doesn't match). The museum is in the center of NYC, but that places it further away from Staten Island, rather than "just across the river".
I see your reasoning for Nanuet but it is indeed much too far away to be ?just across the river?. That line is one of the biggest clues to the mystery and I?ve thought about it quite a bit. ?I?m from just across the river? could mean ?where he was born/grew up? rather than ?where he lives in 1992? so it doesn?t necessarily contradict your theory (or mine). Consider how Indy continues after that statement:

?What was it that I was just talking about??
?You heard me! What was I saying just now??
?Yes. Yes. Now, I was born just across the river in New Jersey.?
OldIndy2323 said:
Car liscense plates are white = NY plates (vs. Jersey's yellow)
Most of the bookends were shot in Wilmington, N. Carolina so the background cars could have NC plates (since they were white too) but, I agree, the main cars appear to have 1992/93 New York plates. I am 99% sure that Indy?s car & the monster truck both have that classic, NY plate with the red graphic of Liberty in the centre. (One of the reasons why I would love to have the bookends released on DVD is to actually get a good look at details like this.) I have tried before to get a good screencap of Indy?s plate but it?s not easy! Will have another go?
OldIndy2323 said:
Hills supermarket was a prominent feature of Nanuet's town.
NICE discovery and something I looked into when putting together the latest chapter but found nothing. You write ?was? a prominent feature. Hills doesn?t exist anymore? How widespread is/was the chain? Could there have been some down the east coast as far as NC? If so, it would be hard to pin your Nanuet location based on that.
OldIndy2323 said:
Nanuet Mall is similar in style/size to the one featured

Plus, the building style, spacing of houses/property and look of the "strip" where the gas station and diner are located all match closer to Nanuet than Staten Island.
Re: The diner. The title card I made for the ?Benares? diner bookends places it in New Jersey rather than Staten Island. Where in Jersey? Off a highway somewhere?take your pick! (Don?t get me started on the Trenton location?:p)

From my personal experience, I agree that the gas station is probably not Staten Island as the street looks too wide & spacious but?who knows? Because of this, joining the ?Princeton 1916? bookends with the Euro ?Blues? pair was something I quickly regretted. They should be their own separate chapters...Maybe Old Indy was en route to Barnett College in Fairfield and he stopped to top up the tank in Nanuet.;)

Likewise, the mall in the ?Northern Italy? bookends could be ANYWHERE so I probably should not have coupled it with the psychiatrist?s office.
OldIndy2323 said:
No need to change all your titles...one person's speculation is as valid as another and everybody's right until the canon proves otherwise.
If there was enough convincing evidence, I would indeed modify the titles to read Nanuet for the DVD but am still not entirely swayed. I have an ACE up my sleeve for the Staten Island location but have been on the move lately (just got back from Montreal and am going to Barcelona tomorrow). Will post some pics to support my theories when I get back!
OldIndy2323 said:
ps. I still want a DVD of your stuff...they're amazing
Thanks, man. I hope you like the Old Indy logos in the credits. I also made a couple of posters in this thread. Have a look.:hat:

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
Is Jersey an improvement over Staten Island though, haha. Always thought it was kind of the poor mans NY. Although I must say I have been to Indy's boyhood home of Princenton and must say that it is a very nice town.
Actually, scratch the New Jersey idea because I forgot that Indy?s car appears to have NY plates (which was one of the main clues I originally followed). I?ve found that some old people tend to move back close to where they grew up, which is why I chose Staten rather than Long Island, etc. Plus, I came across a couple of photos that look like Indy?s street & house. Perhaps he moved there to live with his ?daughter/daughter-in-law? against his own will? Your favourite hero turned into a crumbly, ol' fuss-pot!:p

Been to quite a few places in New Jersey but never Princeton. Cherry Hill is no dump but I hesitate to bring up the fact that Jersey receives all the trash from NYC giving it an unfortunate nickname, Garbage State (instead of the proper, Garden State).:( Hopefully, Rocket Surgeon will chime in on this?;)