Attack of the Hawkmen

Stoo

Can't believe, after all this time, there is no thread specifically dedicated to "Attack of the Hawkmen"!:eek: It's been dicussed often but never had its own thread.

This is one of my top, favourite episodes. Loads of action & epsionage, the usual, rich attention to period detail & costumes, EXCELLENT music, the regular dose of subtle comedic moments, directed by Ben Burtt and features a small role with C-3PO.

For many years, I thought that the giant triplane during the finale was a fabrication on the part the storywriting. Turns out that it's half-true! The Germans did indeed have plans to build such an aircraft but it was never actually completed. It is thought have been designed by Villehad Forssman (who is portrayed in "Hawkmen"). Plans & pieces were found at the end of the war but only one, giant wheel survives to this day. The subtitles on the DVD incorrectly call it the Pohl Giant Triplane. The real name is Mannesmann-Poll Dreidecker (Triplane).

Including this plane in the TV series adds a certain, science-fiction/fantasy element to the show (much like the Transylvania episode). Even though this was never made, it's the Young Indy-counterpart to the flying wing in "Raiders" (which was a reality, although not as depicted).

MannesmannPollGiantTriplane.jpg

MannesmannPollGiantTriplaneWheel.jpg

Stoo

Oh, guaranteed, you will have something to say. It's one of the best and certain parts definitely evoke some sensibilities of the theatrical films (action-wise). My opinion may be biased because of the aviation aspect but I think you'll like it. On top of everything else, you'll probably appreciate the music, too. Don't want to spoil too much so go watch it A.S.A.P.!:whip:

InexorableTash

On the music front, I believe Stoo and I both felt like we recognized the music played when the Pohl Giant Triplane, er, Mannesmann-Poll Dreidecker appears through the clouds, but couldn't place it.

Can anyone identify that track?

Indy and Remy parting was sad...I was thinking how great it would have been if Remy said: "Indy, you are my good friend."

Strains of the Raiders March 10 minutes in...:)

Demitasse

Love this episode. Just watched it again a few weeks ago. This time I was paying special attention to the German side. I think the show might have been a little bit heavy-handed in its portrayal of the Kaiser's regime, projecting some elements of fascism/Nazism backwards from WWII to WWI... Not sure how much this was the case in reality!?

There was a pretty good drama that came out last year, The White Ribbon, set in Germany in 1913-1914 which attempts to examine the young people of pre-Great War Germany that grew up to be the young adults of the Nazi era. Interesting to say the least for those of us interested in the time period!!!

Stoo

@Inexorable Tash: Haven't yet identified a source for that piece of music but I noticed that it's also heard when the Germans make a toast to victory at Richtofen's luncheon.

@Rocket Surgeon: The parting between Indy & Remy is even more sad after watching all the episodes consecutively.

Yes, you can definitely hear a strain of the "Raiders March". It lasts only a couple of seconds but it's there. Nice catch!

Nothing more to say about one of the best episodes?:confused:

@Demitasse: Hi, Half cup.;) Re. Fascism & Nazism: Where do you see these elements?

Stoo said:
The parting between Indy & Remy is even more sad after watching all the episodes consecutively.Yes, you can definitely hear a strain of the "Raiders March". It lasts only a couple of seconds but it's there. Nice catch! Nothing more to say about one of the best episodes?:confused:
There's so much! It's an EXCELLENT episode! From the way Rosa Klebb's weapon inspired the comedic elements, (really played out like Raider's Indy!(y) ) to Anthony Daniels in Q Branch, both episodes were really well done.

Are there Old Indy bookends for these? I know they dropped them for some episodes. Want to see them.

At one point I considered "Fedora's" fedora lost...

Indy inspiring the change in color was well done. There were a few issues with his first escape but all in all a great entry.

HATE the opening title, NOT a fan of man ass and the digital effects are a bit grainy...minor quibbles.

The heavy German musical motif sounded as though it were taken directly from Last Crusade, though missing a few notes. Found myself filling them in.

Ben Burtt eh?

Montana Smith

Demitasse said:
Love this episode. Just watched it again a few weeks ago. This time I was paying special attention to the German side. I think the show might have been a little bit heavy-handed in its portrayal of the Kaiser's regime, projecting some elements of fascism/Nazism backwards from WWII to WWI... Not sure how much this was the case in reality!?

I don't think they were pushing the idea of proto-Nazism, but instead the German militaristic outlook of the period. The Kaiser's rivalry with the British parts of his family, and the old Junker/Prussian aristocratic approach to imperialsim. That class did make Hitler's rise possible in the 1930s, since they saw his rise as their means of returning Germany to its 'proper' place in the world. Only they failed to remove the little Gefreiter as they would have liked.

Demitasse

Any other Young Indy fans see Flyboys (about the Lafayette Escadrille) with James Franco?? Just watched it tonight on netflix. Definitely check it out and then watch Hawkmen back to back. Has the same vibe to it. It's already been discussed on the Raven here, but thought fans of Hawkmen might wanna check it out. It's nice to see Whiskey again! ;)

Here's what some reviewer said on Amazon, and I must concur!

In many ways it reminds of the WWI episodes of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" - In fact if you want a great companion piece to "Flyboys" check out the Young Indy film "Attack of the Hawkmen" which deals with the Lafayette escadrille as well. However keep in mind that a 2007 feature film budget can do way more then a TV movie from 1995. However they both have that old Saturday matinée type feel.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Demitasse said:
Any other Young Indy fans see Flyboys (about the Lafayette Escadrille) with James Franco?? Just watched it tonight on netflix. Definitely check it out and then watch Hawkmen back to back. Has the same vibe to it. It's already been discussed on the Raven here, but thought fans of Hawkmen might wanna check it out. It's nice to see Whiskey again! ;)

Here's what some reviewer said on Amazon, and I must concur!

Cheers!

By weird coincidence I saw this a couple of days ago. Although fictionalized, listening to the commentary they aimed at getting as much right as possible (except for making almost all the German planes red!)

The flight sequences were excellent, with the director constantly challenging viewers to spot the real aircraft amongst the CG squadrons!

Whiskey the lion was great too!

phantom train

Nice mention of the 2007 film Flyboys. I remember seeing this in the theater when it was released; this is definitely the best film I've seen that focuses on the WW I aerial battles.

Though YIJC: Attack of the Hawkmen was great as well, Flyboys was obviously superior re: the increased budget & more advanced effects.

Duaner

phantom train said:
Nice mention of the 2007 film Flyboys. I remember seeing this in the theater when it was released; this is definitely the best film I've seen that focuses on the WW I aerial battles.

You should watch The Blue Max. It's a much better film about WWI aviation. I have an obsession with the WWI era so I have watched many WWI films. I enjoyed Flyboys, but it still had too many flaws to ever be called "superior."

phantom train

Duaner said:
You should watch The Blue Max. It's a much better film about WWI aviation. I have an obsession with the WWI era so I have watched many WWI films. I enjoyed Flyboys, but it still had too many flaws to ever be called "superior."

I've seen Blue Max. Decent film, but it was made back in the 1960's or 1970's (I think), so the aerial dog fights weren't extremely impressive to me. Conversely, the flying/dogfight effects in Flyboys (released in 2007) were incredible.

That being said, Blue Max did have a better story.

Duaner

phantom train said:
I've seen Blue Max. Decent film, but it was made back in the 1960's or 1970's (I think), so the aerial dog fights weren't extremely impressive to me. Conversely, the flying/dogfight effects in Flyboys (released in 2007) were incredible.

That being said, Blue Max did have a better story.

The effects were good, I will give you that.

It's true, that neither film is perfect. Maybe some day we will get a WWI aerial combat movie that has the perfect balance of good effects/good story.

Crack that whip

I've never gotten around to seeing either The Blue Max (despite decades of wanting to, principally because it's scored by Jerry Goldsmith) or Flyboys. There was a Blue Max computer game back in the '80s, though, that I used to enjoy back in the day.

For some reason, though I enjoyed all the Young Indy Family Channel movies when they first aired, they mostly didn't resonate with me quite as much as the original series on ABC did, until I finally got the Adventures of... DVD sets and could watch them all together; Attack of the Hawkmen is no exception. But I love it now. Given how much Indy traditionally travels by air, it's notable how much of the best aerial Indy action is in this TV production, but there you go. And yeah, the parting of Indy and Remy is a little emotional, even knowing they'll be reunited soon.