Why didn't they make comics of Infernal Machine & Emperor's Tomb?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I was just playing Emperor's Tomb this morning with my brother and I just got thinking why didn't they make a comic series out of it? Same thing with Infernal Machine? Both have great storylines amd at the time of release for both games, they would have had enough interest for people to buy the comics. So why didn't they?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Dark Horse had a series based on Fate of Atlantis the videogame, that's why I wondered why not Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb.

indifan101

I'm not trying to down Indy but, I think the readers lost interest in the Indiana Jones comics after the movies were over. Dark Horse probably just didn't sell enough to keep it going.:(

HovitosKing

While the vast majority of people would consider themselves fans of the Indiana Jones movies, very few of them are what I would call "hardcore" Indy fans like us. We don't make up a large enough interest group for folks to market products to, so that's why comics, novels, etc. are rare. Dark Horse has never really worried about that in the past, though...their comics are geared more toward cult fans than mainstream audiences, so I don't know why they've steered away from Indy lately. Maybe their newer artists/writers just aren't Indy fans.

Cammy

That's a very good question. A lot of comics have been made based on video games with Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid and the upcoming Halo comic as a few examples. So why not Indiana Jones? It's had a big movie focus as well as a game focus. Perhaps the Dark Horse comics aren't selling as well as they had hoped or they want to make original comics instead of adaptions.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
And that's exactly the point, Cammy. That's what I was thinking about when I posted this thread. And I wanted to see people's opinion's on this.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I sure would love to see a transcript of the dialogue - with brief descriptions of the action - for the two games. Has anyone seen such a thing? (I suppose I could search the net using sample lines...)

JerryKing

The dialogue in IM can be extracted from the .gob files, but it would take months to sift through just the dialogue, as it seems to be a part of the scripts that the game uses, so there are thousands of code lines, comments, etc., with dialogue interspersed between them...

JimmyPSHayes

I'm a comic retailer and I talked to someone at Dark Horse about this last year. He said that there were no current plans to do Indy comics. I also spoke with another publisher who said that they inquired about the Indiana Jones license and that the cost was just too great for them-escpecially if they were going to use the actors likenesses. I plan on bringing up the subject of an Indiana Jones comic again when I see the good people from Dark Horse this weekend at a convention.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Didn't know there were any comic retailers on this forum! It be great if Dark Horse or even a new company started doing Indy comics. They're extemely rare in Australia.

JimmyPSHayes

We're all over-just ashamed to admit it!:D They are pretty common here-except for the Dark Horse ones. And the higher numbered Marvel ones. Once, you hit #30 they are tough to find. I'm constantly on the look out for them to restock my back issues.

JK_Antwon

I never realized that the actor likeness was that much of an issue for comics.. wow! Another piece of comic trivia I now know. Thanks!