What should the next Indy lady be like?

Z dweller

Personally, I think we've had enough of Marion already.

I wouldn't mind seeing her briefly, perhaps at the beginning of the movie, but I certainly would not want her to tag along for Indy's next adventure.

Much more interesting to have a new Indy lady, perhaps an old flame whom we get to know in flashback scenes, and then older Indy meets again in act II.

They wouldn’t need to end up together, in fact it might even be funny to have them get off to a very bad start when they meet again, then make peace and get along as friends by the end of the story, with just a hint of sexual tension still there for the ride.

Darmok

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
Isn't Indy married ? unless this is to be a prequel which I doubt because of Fords age?
Sssshhh...

We try to forget about that film.

I've been waiting for this new Indy movie since The Last Crusade! (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
Isn't Indy married ? unless this is to be a prequel which I doubt because of Fords age?

As others have suggested, there can be a woman in the cast without her being a straightforward love interest.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
For example, Fan Bingbing was the fourth highest paid actress last year and is guaranteed to put butts in seats in the all-important Asian market.

show_hang_khoe_vong_ba_giaoduc.net.vn_1.jpg.jpg

Perhaps I could have commented at a much earlier time, but there certainly is a strong Rachel/Blade Runner vibe above.

curmudgeon

Much more interesting to have a new Indy lady, perhaps an old flame whom we get to know in flashback scenes, and then older Indy meets again in act II.

We already had the "old flame" story line, twice, with Marion.

I think a more interesting twist on that would be if she's not an old flame of Indy's but of of Henry Sr.

Maybe Henry took on a younger (albeit now older) wife or girlfriend in the years after Last Crusade, who Indy never quite got along with.

I like the idea of an academic type as suggested by others, and applying it to my suggestion maybe someone like an Emma Thompson would make sense.

Z dweller

curmudgeon said:
We already had the "old flame" story line, twice, with Marion.
Not really. The first time round you can rightfully call her an old flame, whom we didn't know and Indy meets again.
In KOTCS she's more of a recurring character, much like Sallah in LC.

curmudgeon said:
I think a more interesting twist on that would be if she's not an old flame of Indy's but of of Henry Sr.
Not exactly a novel concept either, is it?

alison%20doody.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
Let's not do the 70 year old romance storyline, please. While it's great for certain types of films and relationships, we can't be entertained with something like this:

article-2135340-12C5A3B4000005DC-362_634x828.jpg

Gear

Z dweller said:
Not really. The first time round you can rightfully call her an old flame, whom we didn't know and Indy meets again.
In KOTCS she's more of a recurring character, much like Sallah in LC

Yeah, but it's revealed in KotCS that Indy and Marion had once again had a falling-out since Raiders, and hadn't seen each other in years. To me, that seems to qualify.

Marion could come back as the antagonist for Indy V as the ex wife. "Once again what was briefly yours is now mine."

curmudgeon

Z dweller said:
Not exactly a novel concept either, is it?

alison%20doody.jpg

Indy didn't know Elsa beforehand.

In my scenario, the lady and Indy would have had a contentious platonic relationship before the film even began. I'm imagining an "Oh God, not her again..." reaction upon her arrival in the film.

Olliana

Fun Fact: Ford was twice as old as Doody when they were filming Crusade.

Question: Would that make a 38 year-old love interest for Indy 5 legit?

Mickiana

Olliana said:
Fun Fact: Ford was twice as old as Doody when they were filming Crusade.

Question: Would that make a 38 year-old love interest for Indy 5 legit?

Probably not and it doesn't come down to some template maths formula laid over everything. But I suppose no one would want to see a 76 yo anything with a love interest half his age, especially Dr Jones in Indy5. Or at least I wouldn't. A man in his later 40s with a woman in her 20s is more acceptable.

But maybe we shouldn't be so ageist. The real world has plenty of old geezers with young ladies hanging off their arms. Of course the blokes have big, fat wallets.

Indyfan82

I may be in the minority here, but seeing as how in the last Indiana Jones movie, Indy reunited with Marion Ravenwood and finally married her, I would like to see Karen Allen back as Marion. She wouldn't have to have an extensive role, but it would be nice to see her included. I'd even be okay with Shia LaBeouf showing up for a bit as Mutt, though I hope that would only be a quick cameo. (I'm not particularly wanting to see more adventures of Indy and Mutt together- and it seems unlikely Shia would be brought back in any case.)

Walecs

Indyfan82 said:
I may be in the minority here, but seeing as how in the last Indiana Jones movie, Indy reunited with Marion Ravenwood and finally married her, I would like to see Karen Allen back as Marion. She wouldn't have to have an extensive role, but it would be nice to see her included. I'd even be okay with Shia LaBeouf showing up for a bit as Mutt, though I hope that would only be a quick cameo. (I'm not particularly wanting to see more adventures of Indy and Mutt together- and it seems unlikely Shia would be brought back in any case.)
I agree with this. Marion doesn't necessarily need to appear along Indy around the world, but I'd be really disappointed if Karen Allen didn't appear at all.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
To me, Marion should make an appearance- not all movie necessarily but at least a couple of scenes to at least explain where she is and what their relationship is at this point.

In terms of a female lead, I'm liking the former students angle that Pale suggested in another thread- have a couple of former students. One of them easily could be female. I just don't think a younger love interest would be a good idea - I also doubt Disney would like that too. I also don't want the villain angle either- been done twice.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Broadbent didn't add much to the show last time around, though that was, of course, largely a writing issue.

So maybe, if Indy spends some time with a Marcus type, that character could be a woman. Not Helen Mirren, necessarily, as she's a rather obvious choice, though she could easily play not-72 to Ford's not-75.

Udvarnoky

Broadbent would be a welcome return in my mind if it didn't suggest we'd be returning to campus. After the fourth movie I feel like we don't need any more time spent in the USA.