I can't believe that happend

indy 2000

It seems in all the Indy films the unbelivable happens. Like flying refridgeraters and hearts being ripped out etc. Those things defy logic but always seem to happen. Can you name those wacky moments in all four films?

indyclone25

in raiders ----- being dragged under a truck -( cause most trucks are built to low to actaully have someone underneath)
temple of doom -------falling out of the plane in a rubber raft
last crusade -------throwing the stake at the motorcycle tire ( on the first try to have it shoot up in the air)
crystal skull-------the gun pellets flying thru the air

indy 2000

I read that it would be impossible for indy to swing from his whip because it could not hold his weight and would possibly unravel. He has done this in every film.:D

indyclone25

indy 2000 said:
I read that it would be impossible for indy to swing from his whip because it could not hold his weight and would possibly unravel. He has done this in every film.:D
maybe one time he might make it like in raiders in the temple -- but not in the other movies

Bantu-Wind

You can swing from a whip like Indy does, but it will ruin the whip's ability to crack because it stretches out the plaiting and thus totally ruins the energy transfer from the handle to the point. Also as anyone who has ever tried this has found out, when you're done swinging and need your whip back, it doesn't always want to let go of whatever its wrapped on and very, very rarely will it do so at just a flick of the wrist.

fatima

Bantu-Wind said:
You can swing from a whip like Indy does, but it will ruin the whip's ability to crack because it stretches out the plaiting and thus totally ruins the energy transfer from the handle to the point. Also as anyone who has ever tried this has found out, when you're done swinging and need your whip back, it doesn't always want to let go of whatever its wrapped on and very, very rarely will it do so at just a flick of the wrist.
Intersting observation, I had never thought about it.

About the unbelievable moments in Indy....all the ones mentioned and the fighting scenes in all of them, I think that Indy would be more likely to be dead or staying at a hospital to be treaten. But that doesn't turn less enjoiable to watch, it's Indysh....it's the way we love it, even the refregerator scaping!

Coronado

Bantu-Wind said:

But it would wrap around something tightly enough to swing on? I always thought in real life a whip would just unravel, sending Indy (or the Indy-pretender) down to the depths of a chasm faster than a dropped rock.

-Coronado

Bantu-Wind

Yeah, whips will wrap and cling nicely (especially the fall) but once wrapped they do not want to let go. Now in my younger years I got to where I could make the whip wrap and not overlap itself, and when you did that then you could unravel it pretty easily just by wiggling it, as Indy did so often.

Did you guys really not swing around on whips as kids?? :whip:

The Drifter

This will be a collection of scenes that are in my own opinion the most unbelievable from each movie. I am not counting KotCS because I have only got to see it once.
I also am not going to count the supernatural scenes, as we all know that that would win everytime.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The snakes in The Well of the Souls. How did all of those snakes survive after countless eons down in that dark pit? There was no sunlight to warm them on cool nights, there was no way for them to feed, and where were they to lay thier eggs/birth their young?

Indiana spies them slipping in from a hole in the wall. Where were they coming from?

Temple of Doom: Two things stick out in my mind.
One is the mining cart jump. It would be like a one in one-trillion chance that that cart would land so perfect onto the rails.
The cart was even going uphill at the time of the jump, so it should have over-jumped if anything.

Two, the water.
The tank that Mola Ram had tipped over was big, but it was not so big that the water from it would cascade down hundreds of branching paths, go through molten lava, and then spew with such force out of the portal at the cliffside.

Last Crusade: I am not going to get into the petrol in the water issue. But, I will say that besides that scene the flying scene is the most unrealistic.

We have Indiana pioleting a plane against not one, but TWO German barons, and we are expected to believe that Indiana Jones zip and fly and dodge those vetern's attacks?
Rubbish.

Rococo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The snakes in The Well of the Souls. How did all of those snakes survive after countless eons down in that dark pit? There was no sunlight to warm them on cool nights, there was no way for them to feed, and where were they to lay thier eggs/birth their young?

My view on this was the "crack" to the outside world, and the snakes were coming and going, using the Well of the Souls as their breeding ground, and going outside for heat, etc... at least, this is how I've justified that.

Nurhachi1991

indy 2000 said:
It seems in all the Indy films the unbelivable happens. Like flying refridgeraters and hearts being ripped out etc. Those things defy logic but always seem to happen. Can you name those wacky moments in all four films?

Raiders- Indy climbing up out of the pit and rolling under the closing door which appeared to be almost closed all the way

TOD- Out running the water

LC- Herman beating Indy home when Indy rode a train.......

KOTCS- waterfalls

The Raven- So many of these stupid threads

QBComics

I find it funny on how in TOD, the kids get back home safely after Indy gets back. Didn't they get a what... 3 hour head start? I think all we need to know about the water issue in TOD is that the water took the left tunnel. ;)

Nurhachi1991

QBComics said:
I find it funny on how in TOD, the kids get back home safely after Indy gets back. Didn't they get a what... 3 hour head start? I think all we need to know about the water issue in TOD is that the water took the left tunnel. ;)

The kids were starved,beaten,tired ect I doubt they ran the whole way.

Forbidden Eye

Nurhachi1991 said:
LC- Herman beating Indy home when Indy rode a train.......

Who said the Sheriff was close to Indy's house? :p

Although that doesn't explain how Fedora and his gang were able to get there so fast when the Sheriff gave them the cross.

No Ticket

QBComics said:

That's true, lol... I never thought of how implausible that scenario is. With the huge long tunnels and the large open areas with lava plus the optional tunnel. How could that water really have made it all the way to the end with that kind of pressure. The thing they tipped over did really seem to have THAT much water in it. lol.

But I guess that's not too bad eh? Took me about 19 years to realize it.

Kooshmeister

Forbidden Eye said:
Although that doesn't explain how Fedora and his gang were able to get there so fast when the Sheriff gave them the cross.

Easy. Fedora has the ability to conjure up motor vehicles by whistling. ;)

Anyway for mine.....

Raiders - Nobody at the Tanis camp notices anything amiss until the first explosion. This despite the fact everybody at the airfield was firing off machine guns left and right, and sound should carry out there, plus it was just over the hill.

Temple of Doom - I've always found the "comic" moment of the sledgehammer thrown by the Chief Guard landing on the head of a poor slave a bit odd. I would've preferred it bonk some random Thuggee guard, instead.

Last Crusade - Simply put, the Kubelwagon. Not the fact it winds up stuck on the tank's gun, but the fact it was even in a position to have a head-on collision with the tank in the first place. It's a dinky little car driven by a single German soldier, what good did he think he was gonna do accompanying the troop carriers?

Last edited: