TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Tweaking KOTCS to find its inner potential

Let's say it's 2007. You're handed the final draft of the script as is. It is my opinion that there is a great film in there somewhere. You have all these really intriguing pieces:

-Indy in a new era where he, himself, is a relic.
-You have the potential for a subplot where Indy has to prove his innocence and to toy with the very grey morality of the Cold War as opposed to the more black and white good and evil of the 1930s
-You have the alien angle, which could've been very profound if done right. The idea of the aliens as being archeologists and helpers of mankind rather than truly being Gods is fascinating. Maybe the aliens were scouring the universe searching for the same truths that people like Indy have and are.
-You have the KGB element which could've made it a bit of a thriller.
-You have Spalko as this really sexual and sexy femme fatale type who could read minds possibly. Maybe extrapolate that out to her being able to BEND weaker minds to her will - metaphor for female sexuality?
-You have the 50s which make for as interesting, if not moreso, a backdrop than the 1930s. A period so remote to our own and yet with one big foot in the modern age.

I just look at every scene in KOTCS and while the overall picture is a subpar schlocky mess, I see ingredients for potential greatness. The question is, if we're working with the final draft script, how do we turn it into gold?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
hismasterplan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
-Indy in a new era where he, himself, is a relic.

I don't see how Indy would be a relic. He's an archaeology professor and vet to the public eye, not much more. If anything, I would change Jim Broadent's "Charles" character to a more critical counterpart who challenges Jones' technique and lack of proof and is a victim of government-induced paranoia. Then in the end, Indy's heroic efforts would mend this tension.

Not too late to make that happen in the 5th outing. We've already seen a supportive Brody. Time for a different dynamic.

Quote:
-You have the potential for a subplot where Indy has to prove his innocence and to toy with the very grey morality of the Cold War as opposed to the more black and white good and evil of the 1930s

Wouldn't change much other than a debriefing where they think Jones is crazy after telling his story and having no proof. Or maybe they do believe him because of the Roswell incident and threaten him. At the end of the day, the Russians are gone and Indy is not so he did what they wanted him to do.

Here's a line the feds could say to Indy:
"You may dig up graves Dr. Jones but you always lead our enemies into them. For that, you're off the hook..."

Quote:
-You have the alien angle, which could've been very profound if done right. The idea of the aliens as being archeologists and helpers of mankind rather than truly being Gods is fascinating. Maybe the aliens were scouring the universe searching for the same truths that people like Indy have and are.

I feel this was established enough. In Spalko's dialogue, she could mention that maybe they too were looking for who created them.

Quote:
-You have the KGB element which could've made it a bit of a thriller.

This was strongly demonstrated in the opening and campus incident / chase scene. Some of the film's strongest moments. For the sake of this thread, maybe have one of them spying on Indy and Charles' conversations in the school.

Quote:
-You have Spalko as this really sexual and sexy femme fatale type who could read minds possibly. Maybe extrapolate that out to her being able to BEND weaker minds to her will - metaphor for female sexuality?

Change her hair style and she can bend my mind any day. Yes, we needed to see this. I would bring back the scene in the script where Mac is asking about her abilities. Perhaps, she is controlling him - playing on his greed. Another angle that might work is she realized she doesn't have power and her spirit is broken. This makes her want the skull for herself so that she can. I thought this is what would happen when she couldn't read Indy's mind. Would have made a lot of since. Every bad guy ends up wanting the relic for themselves, not for their boss. She was a patriot for her country in this movie but at least that was something new so it didn't bother me.

Quote:
-You have the 50s which make for as interesting, if not moreso, a backdrop than the 1930s. A period so remote to our own and yet with one big foot in the modern age.

I thought they handled this fine. Loved the opening play car chase to set this mood. I often hear people say they didn't see the point in the playful Elvis jamming introduction. It worked just right for me and I was born in the '80s.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote