Batman Films

Niteshade007

Since the Dark Knight thread was getting a little off the topic of The Dark Knight, I thought I'd start a new thread about ALL the Batman films so that we could discuss it and not take up space on another thread.

I just watched Batman, Batman Returns, and I was watching Batman Forever, but decided to turn it off and wait until I could really focus on it, but I will write my opinions about what I what I saw anyway.

1-9.jpg

The original Batman I love. I think it is a great film, very enjoyable, but there are a few things that bother me about it. For starters, the setting. They did a great job creating a bleak and ugly looking Gotham City, but they tried (and failed miserably) to make the time setting somewhat ambiguous. For example, when a flashback is shown of Bruce Wayne's parents being killed, it is clearly 30's clothes, yet in the present day, it feels far too 80's. Everything from hair to costume designs. They could have done a much better job, and it's certainly something I think they improved on in Batman Returns. The characters were pretty well written and acted, considering it's an action film. Of course Nicholson's Joker deserves the most praise, but I think that Keaton and Basinger also hold their own on screen with him. I also liked the character Knox, someone who I had forgotten about since the last time I saw the film. I had also forgotten that we were introduced to Harvey Dent! Not played by Tommy Lee Jones, of course, but Billy Dee Williams (here come the Star Wars fans screaming that he was in those movies). It seems interesting to me that they didn't use him in Batman Forever, but after looking up some information about it, it seems like he sort of got the raw end of the deal. Not as raw though as Sean Young. She was cast as Vicki Vale, then broke her collarbone in a scene they subsequently cut. After that, she apparently lobbied very hard for the role of Catwoman, but lost to Michelle Pfieffer. That girl seems to have the biggest list of "almost big" that I have ever seen. She didn't get parts she wanted in at least FOUR major pictures (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Batman, Batman Returns, and Dick Tracy). But getting back to the film, the plot is ok, but there are some things that are just plain ridiculous. Like the Joker tainting cosmetics? What the heck? That sounds so completely absurd. But again I read that nobody was really completely satisfied with the plot, so at least they realize that it isn't amazing. The writing, particularly the dialogue between Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale, should have been much stronger. The scene where Vicki discovers that Bruce and Batman are one in the same, for example, really lacks any sort...well, anything. I wouldn't blame it on the actors, because listening to their dialogue, you can tell they didn't have a lot to work with. Fortunately this is an action flick, so I suppose I can forgive it.

Overall, I'd say this one gets an 8/10

2-2.jpg

Batman Returns. Now this is one that I thought was only ok, until this viewing. To start with again, the setting has a much better improvement. It truly find the balance between modern day technology and old time charm. The characters of Bruce and Selina Kyle are very well written, particularly Selina. My favorite scene in the entire series now is the two of them dancing at Schrek's Masquerade Ball. Neither one is wearing a mask, and Selina makes a comment about being tired of wearing a mask, to which Bruce agrees. Then the big reveal. The two repeat some dialogue that Batman and Catwoman shared earlier, and then, as they realize that the person that they are falling for is their enemy, they simply decide to keep dancing. Great dialogue and great acting on both of their parts. I don't think my description did it any justice, but it is definitely one of the finer moments in Superhero filmography, at least in my opinion.

The Penguin I could have done without. He felt almost like a "filler" type character until Catwoman came on screen and commanded it. Also, just a little problem I found with the plot...if you want to resurface and take over a city, why get a toy maker to help you? Just because he's a prominent businessman? I understand he had political sway and that The Penguin had a lot of dirt on him, but still, it's a pretty big gamble. Surely he could have found someone higher up, but I suppose it works for the film. The goons that he has are odd looking, but not distracting. I found them to be just...well, blah. The fact that they didn't display any personality probably helped with that.

Overall, this one probably would get a 7/10 in my opinion. It would have been so much higher if it weren't for the Penguin.

3.jpg

Batman Forever is a film I LOVED when I was little. I thought it was just the greatest thing. Of course, now that I watch it as a 19 year old, I find myself saying "What was I thinking?" It's not that the film is necessarily bad, it's just so...corny. I mean, the start of the film has a manic Two-Face with a security guard hostage as bait for Batman. Batman of course arrives (but not until after he has shared some cheesy dialogue about going through a drive through for dinner), only to find the scantily clad Nicole Kidman as Dr. Chase Merridian. Truly, Kidman has never been sexier, but her dialogue, oh my god! In front of the entire city, including Commissioner Gordon, the man who has asked her to come help them in their investigation, she is seriously coming onto Batman.

But the hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-hammer-I'm-flirting-so-hard is nothing compared to completely annoying over-acting of one Jim Carrey. When I was a kid, I thought his character was hysterical. Now that I'm older, I want to throw something at my TV screen everytime he comes on.

After Robin's parents died, I decided to stop the movie and start over tomorrow, maybe I won't be so hard on the film. I really want to enjoy it, but so far...eh.

I do love the poster though. I think it's probably my favorite of all the Batman Posters.

Last edited:

Katarn07

Batman - I rented this movie every week as a kid from my local library and loved it to death. Watching it now is hard for me. Either I've seen it too many times, or more likely, Batman Begins did something to the character that makes all previous Batman films a bit unwatchable. Joker doing the Partyman dance through the museum is my favorite part. 6/10

Batman Returns - I saw this one in the theater. I had to be 5 when I saw it. I loved it and remember getting all the toys. I think its plot is insane, but I find it easier to watch today than the original. Probably because I didn't watch it a bizillion times. 6.5/10

Batman Forever - Yeah, I loved this one too. I agree, it's not a bad movie but it is corny. Along with that, I don't like the look of the film. I personally prefer Val Kilmer to Michael Keaton. He seemed a bit more anguished over his parents death and angry about being Batman like he should. Jim Carrey's hilarious, but that's not what's needed in Batman. I like Tommy Lee Jone's performance; it fits the rest of the film. But that wasn't how Two Face/ Harvey Dent should have been handled. Oh yes, and Nicole Kidman's the hottest Batgirl ever. I had such a crush on her when I saw that movie. 5.5/10

Batman and Robin - I liked Arnie. He made me laugh. Nothing else is even remotely memorable from this film. I saw it in the theaters, and though I didn't hate it then (I was in 4th grade then), I knew it wasn't a good movie. I've seen it twice since then and plan on never doing so again.... 1/10

Batman Begins - I loved every part of this movie. I've watched it and rewatched it who knows how many times and I've yet to find anything I don't like about it. Katie Holmes isn't my favorite actress, but I don't hate her playing her part. Bring on the Dark Knight, although I find it hard for them to top themselves. 10/10

HovitosKing

Would you rather see the campiness of the 60's return in batman films? a la Batman and Robin? Tim Burton moved Batman in the right direction, but Chris Nolan totally re-defined the superhero film.

oki9Sedo

Tim Burton's Batman films had alot going for it - Danny Elfman's tremendous score, Michael Keaton's performance, the production design in particular.

I liked Batman Returns but felt it relished in the darkness and black humour a little too much. Note that I didn't say I have a problem with it being dark, just that Tim Burton seemed to get a twisted pleasure out of it, which I found disturbing.

Batman Begins was excellent too. Bale's Batman is less intimidating than Keaton's though. I don't care how big his muscles are, Keaton has the eyes.

Keaton SUCKED as Batman... he was a passable Bruce Wayne.... but as The Dark Knight, he was a JOKE and a bad one at that. Batman is the PEAK of human physical achievement.... Keaton is NOT even close to being able to pull that off, or even act like he's pulling it off.

"Would you rather see the campiness of the 60's return in batman films?"
All Tim Burton has is camp....

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
Keaton SUCKED as Batman... he was a passable Bruce Wayne.... but as The Dark Knight, he was a JOKE and a bad one at that. Batman is the PEAK of human physical achievement.... Keaton is NOT even close to being able to pull that off, or even act like he's pulling it off.

"Would you rather see the campiness of the 60's return in batman films?"
All Tim Burton has is camp....

You're one of the few who didn't love Keaton as Batman.

I actually thought Christian Bale was too muscular for Batman Begins. There's no way you could be that buff and not compromise you're ability to fight. He's not going to be as big in The Dark Knight.

I would think that pound for pound Keaton was stronger than Bale anyway.

"You're one of the few who didn't love Keaton as Batman."
I've never been afraid of not being in the herd.

"pound for pound Keaton was stronger than Bale"
I see ZERO evidence for that.... did we ever even SEE Keaton with his shirt off? Not that I recall.... Nor have I ever seen any other film evidence that Keaton might be 'strong'... He's certainly not BATMAN strong!

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"You're one of the few who didn't love Keaton as Batman."
I've never been afraid of not being in the herd.

Absolutely no harm in that. But Keaton's Batman was dark, brooding, enigmatic and perhaps a little psychotic. All in all a very interesting and grown up take on the character, faithful or not.

"pound for pound Keaton was stronger than Bale"
I see ZERO evidence for that.... did we ever even SEE Keaton with his shirt off? Not that I recall.... Nor have I ever seen any other film evidence that Keaton might be 'strong'... He's certainly not BATMAN strong!

This is from Desperate Measures (1996). He doesn't have alot of mass, but he's ripped to f*cking shreds. He must be 6% bodyfat or something. I don't know if he was in as good shape for Batman.

Bullwhip

I pretty much agree with Clinton. Burton's movies weren't the Warhol camp of the 60s, but they still were pretty campy, particularly Returns. Schumacher's sequels were a whole other order of suck. I guess I could break down my thoughts on each movie but I don't like to dwell on things I don't like and I'm no movie critic. But I am a huge comic book Batman fan and none of the first four live up to the characters and situations of the greatest of Batman writers.

Niteshade007

Yeah, the Burton films are campy. I don't mind Keaton's performance, but I wouldn't say I was blown away by it either. I thought Val Kilmer did a good job as a much more subdued Bruce Wayne. Bale did do a great job, but I've only seen Batman Begins once. I think I'll buy it tomorrow and watch it again. Also, has anyone else seen the campy 60's Batman Movie, the one where he battles Joker, Catwoman, the Penguin, and the Riddler? That one is totally campy, but still a fun way to kill an hour and a half.

This is the scene I was referring to earlier. I just love the way it's done.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X5zARNyV4gg

Eric Solo

Niteshade007 said:
Also, has anyone else seen the campy 60's Batman Movie, the one where he battles Joker, Catwoman, the Penguin, and the Riddler? That one is totally campy, but still a fun way to kill an hour and a half.

I love Adam West's performance in that. He plays the role as if it's serious. The Batmobile is so cool. If you can name the concept car on which the Batmobile was based I'll give you 2 Kudos!

Also, Batman Returns features Michelle Pfeiffer demonstrating some pretty impressive skills with the bullwhip! Yes that was her doing it.

Bullwhip

I think the car is called the Futura or something. All I know for sure is that it was made by the same guy who did the Monkeemobile for The Monkees and that's awesome.

Dr.Sartorius

How is Burton's original Batman movie campy? If anything it is the polar opposite of camp. I guess you can argue the Joker dancing to Prince was "campy" but that's just the nature of the character. For every cheesy moment in Burton's Batman movies I can name an equally cheesy one in Batman Begins.

Bullwhip

As I recall, the whole third act with The Joker in Batman 89 is pretty campy territory. It's not tongue-in-cheek camp but it's pretty much painted in broad, illogical, cartoonish strokes. And I don't remember The Joker dancing to Prince to ever have been part of the "nature of the character" before the movie. That's all Cesar Romero influence.

"Keaton's Batman was dark, brooding, enigmatic and perhaps a little psychotic."
Keaton's "Batman" (And I use the term loosely) was the guy from "Clean And Sober" in a rubber suit... There was nothing dark, brooding, enigmatic or even remotely psychotic about him.

"This is from Desperate Measures (1996)."
What is? And besides, 96 was 7 YEARS after Batman....

"How is Burton's original Batman movie campy?"
Start... to finish...

HovitosKing

The only thing I don't like about Tim Burton's Batman 89 is the casting of Jack Nicholson as Joker. The character was cheesy, campy, and not the least bit menacing or frightening.