TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Perhilion
IndyFan

What creepy-crawlies should be in Indy 5?

So we've had snakes, rats, bugs and...bugs. What else is there to torture Indy and his group with?
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhilion
So we've had snakes, rats, bugs and...bugs. What else is there to torture Indy and his group with?

For what it's worth, I think the ants were extraordinarily well done, even if they were superficially the same sort of thing as in Temple of Doom.

Piranhas have been mentioned before, and while they aren't necessarily creepy, there's something to be said for them. Biggest problem with this: the decided not to use piranhas for the one that actually took place in the Amazon, so this seems somewhat unlikely.

And then they threw scorpions in as aside in this one too.

Maybe crabs or some other manner of crustacean? They have a creepy manner of movement, at any rate.

Or birds.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 06-21-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: we're -> were
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Perhilion
IndyFan

Oh, I liked the ants, too. Especially after watching the FX feature on the DVD, you really get an appreciation for how hard it was to make that scene work.
I think piranhas would be cool. Maybe also some kind of slimy cave creatures.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Large mosquitoes? Killer hornets? What about big hairy nasty spiders? Bats could be utilized a bit better.

What about an army of Sloths?

Slow. Creepy. Have long sharp claws.

Imagine being cornered while 5 or 6 of this slow soul eating demons make their way toward you!

Last edited by DocWhiskey : 10-06-2009 at 06:45 PM.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I've always been a fan of the bats idea. I think it could work well if done right.

Recently, when I was starting to write a story (for a novel) at random, I thought a worthy creepy crawlie would be toads. If you live in my state, you'll find that the most annoying introduced pest is the Cane Toad. They grow quite large, are very ugly and they are poisonous. Now, imagine a whole underground lake or wet chamber full of them. Ewwww...

Did I mention they jump pretty high?

So, yeah, that could be a worthy scene for 5.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Moedred
Administrator

I summed up the last thread here, and yes, tapeworms are still my favorite.

Or: Willie hasn't worked in years, and Indy has to rescue her from a trailer filled with hundreds of cats... cats with tapeworms!
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
JP Jones
IndyFan

I like the idea that Indy finds a secret entrance to some cavern, he walks inside and millions of spiders crawl up his legs. He looks and the entrance is now closing. He's trapped in a dark cavern with spiders everywhere. Shorty is with him and he says "Not again" I'm grossing myself out just thinking about it.
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

We already had tarantulas in Raiders, so it'd be disappointing if spiders were the showcase critters. Your scenario also reminds me a lot of the flesh-eating scarabs scene in The Mummy.

I do like the proposed ideas of piranhas, bats, crabs and hornets. If the heroes find themselves in a swamp-like environment you could have poisonous frogs or leeches or something.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
In all reality, I don't see why we need them again. It's been done four times now. Sure, it would break tradition, but why be so formulaic?
But, if it is done I would like to see scorpions used this way. I know there was a few in KotCS, but a pit full of writhing, poisonous scorpions would give me shivers.

Say whatever artifact Indy is after falls and lands in the middle of the pit, and he has to find a way to retrieve it.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Vongoosewink
IndyFan

Giant centipedes. They are creepy.

I saw a documentary about one species in South America that catches bats by dangling from the ceiling of caves, and eats them alive.
Vongoosewink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongoosewink
Giant centipedes. They are creepy.

I saw a documentary about one species in South America that catches bats by dangling from the ceiling of caves, and eats them alive.

I must agree. They are damn creepy!
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Meerkat
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I summed up the last thread here, and yes, tapeworms are still my favorite.

Or: Willie hasn't worked in years, and Indy has to rescue her from a trailer filled with hundreds of cats... cats with tapeworms!
Darn, you stole my idea! I *was* going to say tapeworms...but now I say COCKROACHES.
They could bring back the snakes, though...if Indy 5 is the last Indy movie, it seems fitting if it has snakes.
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
In all reality, I don't see why we need them again. It's been done four times now. Sure, it would break tradition, but why be so formulaic?

Perhaps one thing is to go on the older definition of the scene as being the "phobia" scene - but then heights have been dealt with rather extensively, as have tight spaces.

There's also the possibility of more mythical creatures - the old Saucermen from Mars script employed particularly frightening aliens in the place of the snakes, bugs, and rats.

Alternately, they could go with a single larger creature - perhaps an octopus or squid, but then they might get tagged with imitating Pirates of the Caribbean.

If we're going to be in a colder climate, as many have suggested, they could go with something like wolves or some such. Or wolverines, which are notably ferocious.

Or...birds. As Hitchcock teaches us, they can be dangerous and, perhaps more importantly, creepy as all get out.

Generally speaking though, things that creep along and under the ground have been done. Let us have something that flies, swims, or travels on the ground, in the open.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
indycast
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
Large mosquitoes? Killer hornets? What about big hairy nasty spiders? Bats could be utilized a bit better.

What about an army of Sloths?

Sloths are creepy - but what about moths.....those things creep the heck out of me.

Personally the ultimate horror for me would be Indy leading an expedition into Loompa Land.

Who needs bugs or lizards when you've got an army of Oompa Loompas chasing you!
indycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Darth Vile
IndyFan

I think the critters work best when they are an actual physical danger to Indy. So for me, Raiders and KOTCS use the critters most effectively. And although the well is running dry, I'd still like to see something as equally dangerous in Indy V... be that piranhas (my personal favourite), killer bees, deadly leeches or locusts.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #16
Goonie
IndyFan

I vote for the killer bunny:

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
Lambonius
IndyFan

Personally, I think the forced creepy-crawlies scene is part of what continually makes the Indy sequels feel annoyingly formulaic. It worked in Temple of Doom because the bug scene was such a ridiculously over the top spoof of the tarantulas from the beginning of Raiders. After that, it was always a little lame. Though at least the rats and ants made sense contextually. I'd say that the creepy-crawler scene isn't really a necessity, in my opinion.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #18
emtiem
IndyFan

Eels! Hundreds of big old electric eels coming to shock him to bits! Could even be in a villain's diabolical lab rather than a natural environment.

I like the idea of bees too. Well, hornets, naturally. Everyone's scared of them, surely?
Or perhaps you could have Indy and friend trapped in a precarious hut or something whilst a colony of rabid termites threaten to eat their position of safety away!
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
Personally, I think the forced creepy-crawlies scene is part of what continually makes the Indy sequels feel annoyingly formulaic. It worked in Temple of Doom because the bug scene was such a ridiculously over the top spoof of the tarantulas from the beginning of Raiders. After that, it was always a little lame. Though at least the rats and ants made sense contextually. I'd say that the creepy-crawler scene isn't really a necessity, in my opinion.

I agree that it's an element that underlines its formulaic nature (although I think TOD seems to use it in a more perfunctory manner than the other sequels). However, this element is also something that defines "Indy" (like the booby traps, riddles/maps and vehicular chases/set pieces). I think they can do away with any given element for the next movie (including the creepy crawlies), as long as it ups the anti with one of the other elements (otherwise it can be perceived as "lacking").

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem
Eels! Hundreds of big old electric eels coming to shock him to bits! Could even be in a villain's diabolical lab rather than a natural environment.

Totally agree. I was going to mention electric eels in my post... but I thought it might be considered too James Bond'ish... but I'm glad you listed it
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #20
Robyn
IndyFan

Well if Indy's snow bound, how bout the abominable snowman?

or if it's South America again..chupicabra?

Last edited by Robyn : 10-07-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #21
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem

I like the idea of bees too. Well, hornets, naturally. Everyone's scared of them, surely?
Or perhaps you could have Indy and friend trapped in a precarious hut or something whilst a colony of rabid termites threaten to eat their position of safety away!
The problem with eels, though, is that they are indigenous to S.America and he probably won't be back there again if Indy V gets made. A lab would be better. (Indy's brother came up with an electrical eel idea and we're using it in the Animated Fan Film.)

I like your termite idea. How about locusts? In the movie, "The Sands of Kalahari", a thick swarm of locusts takes down a plane (similar to the seagulls in "Crusade"). That would be wicked!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
drwynn
IndyFan

Republicans
drwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
lao che & sons
IndyFan

SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!! I can see Mutt yelling that at the top of his lungs before umping into Marions arms

But seriously I can see them doing sharks for sure and they are pretty dangerous. But if push comes the shove then have them in africa and the y have to fend off a pack of lions.

MUTT
what's that?

he walks around making some noise

INDY
stay back kid!

You see a movement in the tall grass.

MUTT
what is that? DAD!!?

suddenly a lion jusmps out right towards Indy. Indy pulls out his bullwhipe cracks it and the lion backs off. THe lion growls. Then a bunch of Lions come out of the grass and begin to form a circle around Mutt and Indy. CU of Mutt's face sweat poures down his cheak and he looks scared. Indy backs up to mutt and mummbles

INDY
Don't worry kid, just do what I do

Mutt looks scared like at Indy. A nother lion comes closer to them Indy cracks the whip and the Lion Backs off. We hear the temple of doom rope bridge drum beat. The lions are walking in the circle around the pair closing in.
Indy slowly pulls out his weber you see there are he's out of ammo. He opens his bag making some noise and a lion roars at the noise, he grabs out some ammo and begins to load the gun. Another lion jumps up Indy drops his gun to get to his whip. He cracks the whip and the lion moves back the closer to Indy. Indy backs up into Mutt. They both shout a little startled like. They are now back to back with a circle of lions about 20 ft. in diameter and closing in on them.

INDY
oh ****

He see's his gun laying on the ground. He cracks his whip twice and the lions slow down a little bit. He moves forward a lion roars but he cracks the whip again.

MUTT (whispering)
where are you going!?

A Lion roars. Indy cracks the whip. He slowly gets to the gun using this same method until he reaches the gun. He picks it up and slowly aims. He then shoots the lion in fron of him.

All hell breaks loose.

INDY
RUNNN!!!!!!!!

Mutt runs next to indy and a chase proceeds. A huge pack of about 20 lions against 2 people.

this means one thing to Indy... trouble. And to the lions... lunch.

The chase proceeds past a group of elephants at a water hole. Then the pass a group of zebras. A lion runs off and puts chase to the zebra. CU of Indy's eyes just like in the fridge scene. we see a small river/stream ahead. The chase proceeds to the stream with some close calls for mutt. A lion gets as aclose to Mutt as biting off a part of the back of his shirt. (this would have to be CGIed)

They reach the stream and jump in the lions can't swim so the chase ends.the pair come out sapping wet and the move past some shrubs into and open plain. Suddenly a shot is heard Indy ducks and then they run. The realize that they are on an open gun range. dodging some hunters shooting at cans and 1950s pepsi bottles. They dodge all the bullets and NOW the chase is over. This is where they meet there next sidekick. Another archaeologist who is leading a grouphelps them reach a small town. The story goes on..................

so what do you think??
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
Perhilion
IndyFan

I didn't read all of your post, but I think a stampede scene in Africa would be cool.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #25
NickTurner
IndyFan

Y'all got me a thinking (dangerous I know) but it seems like the common thread running through the "creatures", is that, apart from snakes, Indy really doesn't give a damn.

In Raiders the big spiders don't phase him at all. In fact even the supernatural "bugs" at the end he takes in his stride. Monkeys are - well - disposable. Only the "glittering" goal counts.

In Doom, vampire bats are merely something to show off about, Elephants something to endure, bugs are just bugs, and funky food something to deal with (pocket fruit!).

Oh rats! he exclaims almost sarcastically in Crusade. Lions are tamable, Rhinos avoidable. Even the Nazis are like bugs. Just something in the way of the goal.

He doesn't even seem to NOTICE the ants in Skull! Admittedly he HAS the Skull to wave them off with, but in typical Indy-style he accepts this matter-of-factly and gets on with business.

So any creature he will treat quite rationally, except maybe for snakes, and if the threat is minimal he will dismiss it and if not, deal with it. (RPG, rock, flagpole etc.) It is for the supporting cast to react irrationally and panic.

OK, not even sure what point I was trying to make now Time for bed
NickTurner is offline   Reply With Quote