TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #76
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I think that there needs to be an influx of old women flocking around our hero. Ripping at his clothes, clawing at his flesh and gumming his skin.
A moving sea of blue hair, wrinkled skin, with the smell of Polident in the air...

Screw the Wrath of God, that's a truly scary scene!
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #77
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Had to look up 'Polident'. Ah.....
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #78
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I think that there needs to be an influx of old women flocking around our hero. Ripping at his clothes, clawing at his flesh and gumming his skin.
A moving sea of blue hair, wrinkled skin, with the smell of Polident in the air...



"Now you're getting nasty."

Might be heaven for Mutt, but Indy'll be saving the last bullet for himself.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #79
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I think that there needs to be an influx of old women flocking around our hero. Ripping at his clothes, clawing at his flesh and gumming his skin.
A moving sea of blue hair, wrinkled skin, with the smell of Polident in the air...
They say that most of the things an individual finds scary are not something instilled at birth, but born out of personal experiences over our lives.

So if this really is a genuine fear, HOW exactly did you acquire it?




However, if it's merely a fetish instead... clam it. That's an order.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #80
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I doubt that was the thinking behind the prairie dogs. And besides, my comment was half-joking.

I suppose the question to ask here is: how on Earth would you do the ant scene, then, if CG was banned from production? How do you possibly make killer ants look more real than how they were done in the film? They're ants: they don't require a crap-ton of detail on their exoskeletons. I doubt animatronic ants would be either practical or more realistic.

And keep in mind, I'm not being hostile with this point. I like ya, Spurlock, and would be glad to keep the conversation going if it's civil (in spite of my snark).

Well I don't think you intended for me to give any real thought on how you wouldn't use CGI ants, But I did anyway.

Use real ants, at least for the important parts. They proved in ToD that lots of bugs are no problem. Here you could have them outside too, so no worries of an infestation. I understand CGI gives you more freedom and a more thematic control over them, but for close up or mob scenes, real ants could be used (harmless ants of course). I just feel like that would've been the case if KotCS had been made at the same time as the other 3. But yes, animatronic ants is a no-no.

And no hostility detected :P
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #81
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,965
I reinsert my entry of Crabs, here.

Your association with that to Drifter's post is entirely on you.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #82
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
Well I don't think you intended for me to give any real thought on how you wouldn't use CGI ants, But I did anyway.

Use real ants, at least for the important parts. They proved in ToD that lots of bugs are no problem. Here you could have them outside too, so no worries of an infestation. I understand CGI gives you more freedom and a more thematic control over them, but for close up or mob scenes, real ants could be used (harmless ants of course). I just feel like that would've been the case if KotCS had been made at the same time as the other 3. But yes, animatronic ants is a no-no.

And no hostility detected :P

Great! Then, I shall post my ripost without guilt...

Those bugs in TOD were not required to complexly attack, swarm and devour the people on screen. (That, and CG wasn't around back then, of course. )

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of, "how would you be able to train ants to do stuff like 1) swarm in a perfect circle around two men fighting, 3) create a ladder out of themselves to allow one ant to crawl onto Spalko's legs and then be squished into oblivion, 2) crawl en mass into the open mouth of a screaming Pat Roach substitute, and best of all, 4) carry same Pat Roach substitute across the ground and head-first into an anthill to his certain death?"

My point is that for the scene, CG was going to be required no matter what, so I'm sure Berg thought it was only logical to make 'em all CG to ensure total control over what they did in the scene. This, of course leads to the thought, "Well, then, they shouldn't have bothered at all, if it meant such conspicuous usage of CG." A valid argument, but I'll admit I'm biased against that one, since I happened to really enjoy the ant scene in the film and am glad it was created (I happen to love swarming little creatures that eat people in movies. )

Heck, if I may be so bold, I think the only reason people decry the ant effects in KOTCS is because our brains fundamentally know that the stuff they pull on-screen is not possible to do with actual ants, and so we immediately recognize effects. Nothing to do with their realism; simply our common sense ruining our suspension of disbelief. This is probably the case with any effect used to create a being or event not practical in reality, hence the unfair hate for CGI when it's actually quite useful for that kind of thing.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #83
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
For one, ant hormones could be used to guide tracks ants to a certain destination. I agree that effects would've been required for a lot of those scenes, just certain ones could've been helped.

As someone really interested in special effects, who has watched many a FX breakdowns, the task of making realistic ants should've been to difficult to accomplish.

I just think the production team wimped out. I mean they used an entire room of living snakes in Raiders, but couldn't pull off a swarm of ants?

I understand that CGI would've been needed no matter what, I'm just saying real ants for parts could've added to the believability of the scene. I too really like the scene, with an homage to the raiders fist fight.

The prairie dogs are still unforgivable. How can you not get a shot of a prairie dog running into a hole? That's all they do.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #84
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
For one, ant hormones could be used to guide tracks ants to a certain destination. I agree that effects would've been required for a lot of those scenes, just certain ones could've been helped.

As someone really interested in special effects, who has watched many a FX breakdowns, the task of making realistic ants should've been to difficult to accomplish.

I just think the production team wimped out. I mean they used an entire room of living snakes in Raiders, but couldn't pull off a swarm of ants?

I understand that CGI would've been needed no matter what, I'm just saying real ants for parts could've added to the believability of the scene. I too really like the scene, with an homage to the raiders fist fight.

The prairie dogs are still unforgivable. How can you not get a shot of a prairie dog running into a hole? That's all they do.


That may be true, about them wimping out. But I myself have sort of a "don't make extra work for yourself if there's a more practical option" mindset, so it doesn't bother me too much. Hooray for laziness!
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #85
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
Well, being lazy sounds good to me.

Who says there needs to be creepy crawlies in Indiana Jones anyway? Not like there is a rule or anything.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #86
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
Who says there needs to be creepy crawlies in Indiana Jones anyway? Not like there is a rule or anything.

It's an unwritten Indiana Jones tradition.

Spiders, snakes, Gestapo majors, assorted bugs, rats, and ants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
I reinsert my entry of Crabs, here.

Your association with that to Drifter's post is entirely on you.

Your case of for crabs was not forgotten.





Or maybe lobsters for variety?




More suggestions here.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #87
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,860


They're on the move! Actually this is how we got Africanized bees in 1957, imported queens and drones got loose in São Paulo.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #88
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
What about scarab beetles, if a return to Egypt were to happen? They could even be related to the plot, if a MacGuffin like this:



were to be part of the story. Just an idea.They are deep in Egyptian mythology and would fit right in. Maybe even just for the opening action scene, like the tarantulas in the Idol temple.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #89
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
What about scarab beetles, if a return to Egypt were to happen? They could even be related to the plot, if a MacGuffin like this:



were to be part of the story. Just an idea.They are deep in Egyptian mythology and would fit right in. Maybe even just for the opening action scene, like the tarantulas in the Idol temple.

I'd be for this...except KOTCS already featured a creepy crawly that appeared in an installment of the Mummy remake series. Putting these little freaks in the next one would look like a smoking gun as far as "we're out of ideas". I'm not saying that's a fair reason to not have them, but you just know the Internet will jump to that conclusion.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #90
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
Meh, KOTCS was essentially Secret of the Incas + LC + Aliens, so borrowing isn't that big an issue. And plus The Mummy in essence is an attempt at recreating Indiana Jones, so if there was no IJ, there'd probably be no Mummy. So if IJ wasn't so awesome to spawn copies, it'd have scarabs all by itself. Plus the amount of people who've seen The Mummy isn't nearly as many as IJ. Plus plus, scarabs have appeared many times in Egyptian based movies.

And there are only so many bugs, so what if someone else has those bugs, not like bugs are a one time deal.

I get what you are saying, but if done with a higher dependency to the plot, I feel they'd work.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #91
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,965
Disinter



Calling a Fates of Atlantis reference now.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #92
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Centipedes.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #93
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 576
I'd give both creepy-crawlies and Indy's fear of snakes a miss altogether.

Those recurring themes are getting tired, and after the CGI ants and cringe-inducing quicksand scene in KOTCS there's just no coming back.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #94
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
I'd give both creepy-crawlies and Indy's fear of snakes a miss altogether.

Those recurring themes are getting tired, and after the CGI ants and cringe-inducing quicksand scene in KOTCS there's just no coming back.

You're so hung up on KOTCS. Creepy crawlies are as much a part of Indy as anything else. I suggest either sharks (in a homage to Jaws) or centipedes, there are few things more disturbing than them. We've had snakes, spiders, bugs, rats, ants...Imagine dozens of centipedes, moving all about in a dimly lit room all over the walls and floor.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #95
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Creepy crawlies are as much a part of Indy as anything else.
They are just a minor detail.

Do you seriously think all future Indy movies, including any prequels, need them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I suggest either sharks (in a homage to Jaws)...
If I were a shark, I'd be profoundly offended by that suggestion.

Blood-thirsty monster? Sure!

A creepy-crawly? Nope.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #96
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
They are just a minor detail.

Do you seriously think all future Indy movies, including any prequels, need them?


If I were a shark, I'd be profoundly offended by that suggestion.

Blood-thirsty monster? Sure!

A creepy-crawly? Nope.

I think a fifth and final Ford outing shoul keep to the tradition, yes. As far as the post Ford universe? Do what they want.

Sharks aren't a "creepy crawler" in the literal sense of the word but in terms of creatures that either scare people or turn their stomaches they can be. Bats aren't literal creepy crawlies but they were used as that sort of device in Temple of Doom.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #97
Kai Hagen
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 149
Although not dangerous, many would find them to be creepy:



And here are the scary ones:

Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #98
TheDutchGhost
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 26
Another support for giant centipedes.
Those things creep me the hell out (as do spiders but they have already been covered)

Basically anything with too many legs, antennae, and a carapace.

I doubt giant mosquitoes exist (other than in sci fi/horror) otherwise I would have mentioned those as well.

Imagine being assaulted by a giant bug that really wants your blood.
TheDutchGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #99
hismasterplan
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 42
I think the next most iconic and original creepy crawly is marine: jellyfish, whether poisonous or not... piranha. Sea urchins.

When I was a 8 I was running along a jetty and hopped into a hole landing on a rock surrounded by sea urchins. I could reach the other side and scurry up but it had Indiana Jones written all over it.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #100
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Piranhas Would also be a nice homage to You Only Live Twice.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.