Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
I think the natural progression is to take a leaf out of TOD's book and give us a more modern take (as in terms of cinematic use) on the thuggee cult... More modern in terms of suit and tie as opposed to face paint and daggers etc. a la Free Masons/illuminati. Not particularly original I know (following Dan Brown's books), but it would be fitting as Indy finds himself in the latter half of the 20th century i.e. the enemies within.

I agree that does feel like a natural progression. But how to do yet another secret society/conspiracy villain and put a fresh spin on it? To make it worthy of Indy?

So many Indy knock-offs have already gone to that well. Not only has Dan Brown strip-mined the concept, but there was an evil secret society in Indy-lite "Librarian" TV movie and the Illuminati were the baddies in the first "Tomb Raider" movie.

Making that fairly tired premise feel fresh enough for an Indy film would be a very tall order indeed.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
I agree that does feel like a natural progression. But how to do yet another secret society/conspiracy villain and put a fresh spin on it? To make it worthy of Indy?

So many Indy knock-offs have already gone to that well. Not only has Dan Brown strip-mined the concept, but there was an evil secret society in Indy-lite "Librarian" TV movie and the Illuminati were the baddies in the first "Tomb Raider" movie.

Making that fairly tired premise feel fresh enough for an Indy film would be a very tall order indeed.

Something similar to the cult of Cthulhu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu#Cult_of_Cthulhu

Insane, scary, irrational nutters. But could they really be protecting/worshipping something that exists?

Or just have zombies - to make amends for a novel that apparentlyu wasn't up to par.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Something similar to the cult of Cthulhu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu#Cult_of_Cthulhu

Insane, scary, irrational nutters. But could they really be protecting/worshipping something that exists?

Something in that vein is not a bad idea. Too similar to the Thuggee, perhaps? Dunno. There is probably some room to play there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Or just have zombies - to make amends for a novel that apparentlyu wasn't up to par.

I wouldn't mind a zombie as a kind of Oddjob or German Mechanic style henchman/enforcer that Indy has to face off with at some point.

As long as it's a true Haitian/voodoo zombie and not a Romero zombie. Someone under the spell of the main baddie, but not a flesh-eating ghoul.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 06-26-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
INCUBUSRATM
IndyFan

Something like the Illuminati or Cult of Cthulu sounds like something worth looking into. Another "dark" Indy like Temple of Doom is welcome, in my opinion. In fact, I think it may be just what the series needs, if they have to make a fifth one.
INCUBUSRATM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #30
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Love it or hate it, the aliens in Crystal Skull opened the floodgates to completely fictional material not based on anything in particular. Which, despite what many people seem to think, is exactly what Lovecraft's stuff was. Seriously, many people I know seem to think worship of Cthulhu and the Old Ones is an actual ancient religion and that the Necronomicon is a real book.

They could something like the Fred Ward movie Cast a Deadly Spell, which involved a 1940's detective being hired to obtain the Necronomicon and had a climax very much in keeping with Indiana Jones' trend of giving the villain an ironic death. I'd love to see a big secret society type element similar to this movie with Indiana being tricked into helping the bad guys awaken some dark god or something. I've toyed with the very idea in the past as well, so I'm all for it.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #31
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar

I agree... but I think that an Indy movie has an advantage in that its pulpy/comic book structure (and lets face it - better production values) would be a far better fit for re-imagining the secret societies that could exist in the US/Western Europe etc. Failing that... born again Christians.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #32
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
Love it or hate it, the aliens in Crystal Skull opened the floodgates to completely fictional material not based on anything in particular. Which, despite what many people seem to think, is exactly what Lovecraft's stuff was. Seriously, many people I know seem to think worship of Cthulhu and the Old Ones is an actual ancient religion and that the Necronomicon is a real book.

As far as I'm concerned that goes for all religions. It's just that some fiction/invention is older than others. The Indiana Jones universe doesn't pin it's banner to any one mast, so anything does literally go.

So far we've had Christ myths, Old Testament God myths, Indian gods and 'aliens'. TOD also introduced voodoo and a brief glimpse of the undead (the victim living without his heart).

The door can't really be closed on anything, as Lucas and Spielberg left it open early on, presumably to promote multi-cultural appeal.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #33
TheMutt92
IndyFan

I'm pretty sure Spielberg came out and said he wouldn't do anymore films where Nazis were treated in a 'careless' manner, especially after Schindler's List.

But if it was up to me, I would actually have liked to see Indy and the Nazis during WWII. Its the one aspect of Indy's career were not gonna see on screen and I think its a missed opportunity. Ex-Nazis hiding out in South America is also interesting, if just because of the pulpiness of the subject matter.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #34
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutt92
I'm pretty sure Spielberg came out and said he wouldn't do anymore films where Nazis were treated in a 'careless' manner, especially after Schindler's List.
Did you even read the thread?

Quote:
1. I do not I like the very pop-culture notion that Indiana's enemies have to be Nazis or else it isn't an Indiana Jones movie. This is the basis for my main fear of why Spielberg may cave despite his post-Shindler's List policy of depicting Nazis seriously; moviegoers demanding more Indy punching Nazis (or Indy-punching Nazis, as the case may be).

What does your post mean, it means you're posting in an Indiana Jones thread to pretend like you're posting about Indiana Jones. Why bother?
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #35
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Did you even read the thread? What does your post mean, it means you're posting in an Indiana Jones thread to pretend like you're posting about Indiana Jones. Why bother?
I feel your pain, but why promote it further?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I feel your pain, but why promote it further?

No kidding.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #37
moon_tan
IndyFan

I don't want to see Nazi's either.

I am with member Henry W. Jones too. I don't want to see the Nazis either. Seeing Hitler almost made me leave he movie. We don't need to be reminded of Hitler in a fun movie. I don't want to see Arabs or Middle East either at this point, however I am not against anything that has to do with the Egyptian Pyramids. I liked John Rhys Davies as "Sallah". I would also like to see "Short Round' return as well. I read that both of these people were originally going to appear at the wedding.
moon_tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #38
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Quote:
What does your post mean, it means you're posting in an Indiana Jones thread to pretend like you're posting about Indiana Jones. Why bother?

What in the world are you talking about...? Are you talking to me or to TheMutt92?
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #39
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about...? Are you talking to me or to TheMutt92?

I got into it with Sharkey the other day. Best to ignore him. Kind of a kill joy and just mostly drops insults to others comments (Probably self-esteem issues)
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Sharkey

Quote:
To the Mutt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
I got into it with Sharkey the other day. Best to ignore him. Kind of a kill joy and just mostly drops insults to others comments (Probably self-esteem issues)
You're just beggin for it. You should follow your own advice. If you didn't notice you weren't involved but its no surprise that someone who can't perceive depth or know CGI should be wrong again, you didn't even answer his question, (must be down syndrome).

Come on pal...keep it up.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #41
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:

Quote:
To the Mutt.

And yet you quoted both of us. Be clear next time your criticizing. Helps us understand our mistakes so we can learn from them.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #42
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Hell I'm in a mood today. Nazi's out. U.S. Gvt. IN. Start off with the groan-worthy shot of the american flag again, make a point of Indy's patriotism (briefly as possible) then watch his own government turn on him. By the end of the movie, Indy is cleared of whatever charges, but is forced to realize that his country isn't the same anymore. End with the (dubious) assassination of Kennedy being acknowleged or reported somewhere in the physical background, bringing the series back to some sort of an unsettling ending akin to ROTLA. That was after all a real turning point in the U.S. as far as the "Age of Innocence" is concerned. Many fans here don't think Indy can continue after that event, anyway. Instead of a long shot of the ark being wheeled away to The Raiders March, A long shot of Indy departing for some other country to continue his adventures to the March. Like boarding a train/plane/ship amongst a frenzy of people buying newspapers with the assassination on the cover. Or something. We don't need nazis. There's enough evil in the world to find something different. An opening 3rd act with a younger Indy fighting Nazis would be awesome, though.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
To the Mutt.
You're just beggin for it. You should follow your own advice. If you didn't notice you weren't involved but its no surprise that someone who can't perceive depth or know CGI should be wrong again, you didn't even answer his question, (must be down syndrome).

Come on pal...keep it up.

Quite the internet tough guy. I'll let you know when I'm frightened.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #44
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's Brother
An opening 3rd act with a younger Indy fighting Nazis would be awesome, though.
I'm on-board with the U.S. government or factions therein as the villain, but what do you mean by "opening 3rd act"? I assume you just meant opening, like the flashback in Last Crusade?

Quote:
...you didn't even answer his question, (must be down syndrome).
I don't usually get worked up over people referring to others as "retarded" and the like, but do you realize how offensive that is? I suppose you must realize it, otherwise you wouldn't say it. I suppose you simply do not care.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Nazi's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Nazi's
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon tan
Nazi's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Nazi's
Guys, can we please lose the apostrophe?

To answer the topic question: No more Nazis for Indy 5! Make the villains Mao Tse-tung & the Chinese army.

I remember a certain disco dancer stating that "Crystal Skull" was crap because it didn't have Nazis.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #46
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
To answer the topic question: No more Nazis for Indy 5! Make thttp://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/030.jpghe villains Mao Tse-tung & the Chinese army.

I'd prefer that - since China is a massive country, with lots of wilderness and places where secrets can be kept. And it could also give Indy the chance to return to Shanghai.

Quote:
I remember a certain disco dancer stating that "Crystal Skull" was crap because it didn't have Nazis.

John Travolta didn't like KOTCS?

Were the cafe Greasers not authentic enough?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #47
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Guys, can we please lose the apostrophe?

You don't like apostrophe's?
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #48
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
You don't like apostrophe's?

I don't like apostrophe's what?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #49
Rocket Surgeon