TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
deepermagic
IndyFan

What I'd Like to See Beyond Indy 5

We know that Disney isn't going to let this be the last Indiana Jones movie. I think Spielberg has even confirmed this. We also know that this'll be Ford's last go.

Looking at the future, it seems like Disney can go about this a few different ways.

First, go the James Bond route and have different actors re-skin Indy. Sort of an eternal character and each actor establishes his own version of Dr. Jones in his own era.

Second, they could go with Mutt Williams. It wouldn't have to be LeBeouf (please no LeBeouf).

Third, they could take the Star Wars/Marvel route and begin to tell stories within the Indiana Jones "universe". I think the most attractive (to the studio...not to me) idea within this type of setting would be to simply recast an actor as Indiana Jones and have them go on adventures back in the 30's again. Maybe even WWII. Like they've done with Rogue One/Solo. The Mutt Williams adventures could conceivably be a part of this universe.

I'm not super thrilled with any of these ideas. The most appealing one would be the James Bond route because it would be the easiest to divorce whatever happens from the Ford canon. I'm not a huge fan of the adventures of Mutt Williams because he's such a detestable shoehorned character. And even though it seems the easiest option to recast a young Indy and have him go on more adventures, I think deep down they know it won't ever be as good as Ford's interpretation, and so the risk is pretty high for failure.

But! I have an idea. Conceding the fact that they're going to do something whether we like it or not, I would opt for this: Another option within the "Universe". I think from the outset, you just do away with Indiana Jones altogether. Never have a movie with Indy as the main protagonist again. Instead, have Indiana Jones form a secret society of archaeologist/scholar-adventurers/explorers, perhaps in response to some other evil group (not necessarily a single government) that's emerged.

Now with the formation of this society, you can have a slew of new scholar-adventurers in the mold of Dr. Jones, initially chosen by Jones himself. This option allows you to keep the canon, allows you to maintain the integrity of Ford being the only Jones, but it gives you the freedom to tell stories from the 60's through the present day. This gives you the ability to cast all sorts of characters and tell all kinds of tales within the Jones "universe", and even supplies opportunities to have Ford in a cameo role (at least initially) as the founder.

It's not ideal, but it's the best thing I could think of that wouldn't spoil the past, but still allows a future. Besides, who wouldn't want to join a society founded by Indiana Jones? Aside from actually being Indiana Jones, it's the next best thing!
deepermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

If they're going to keep making Indy movies, I'd prefer they simply cast a younger Indy, maybe in his late 20s. It's the most straight-forward approach, and it keeps the adventures in a time period that works for these sort of things.

I have zero interest in Mutt Williams movies.

As for Indy forming a secret society of adventuring archaeologists, it sounds a bit TOO far-fetched (not that Indiana Jones is supposed to be serious, but still....) If they're going to go with something like that, I'd prefer that they just introduce one protege in Indy 5, not a secret society. Have Indy team up with one of his students in Indy 5, and then make future movies about that student having his/her own adventures. But the problem with that is that it loses the Indiana Jones name, which would make it a bit pointless if Disney wants to make new Indiana Jones movies. I guess they could the new movies "Indiana Jones's Student And The...." but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
I have zero interest in watching movies based on an Indy "universe", set in modern times.
Lara and Nathan are more than enough for that.

Prequels with a younger actor, set in the late 1920s and early to mid 30s are what I'm hoping for.

Seeing how Disney went right back to the Star Wars roots with TFA, I believe there's a fair chance they'll follow the same route with the Indy franchise.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
I have zero interest in watching movies based on an Indy "universe", set in modern times.
Lara and Nathan are more than enough for that.

Prequels with a younger actor, set in the late 1920s and early to mid 30s are what I'm hoping for.

Seeing how Disney went right back to the Star Wars roots with TFA, I believe there's a fair chance they'll follow the same route with the Indy franchise.

Yeah I think we could have a good chance of "untold stories" set between Temple and Last Crusade, if they recast with a younger actor. At least to me, that is one way they could go.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Yeah I think we could have a good chance of "untold stories" set between Temple and Last Crusade, if they recast with a younger actor. At least to me, that is one way they could go.

Why between Temple and Last Crusade, though? There's only a 3 year gap.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Lao_Che
IndyFan

There was a thread around here somewhere with a pitch for an anthology(iirc?) TV series about various characters' origins/early days that was somewhat interesting but an Indiana Jones where an Indiana Jones just does Indiana Jones adventures yet isn't the character Indiana Jones seems pointless. There are enough Indy clones out there already.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs
Why between Temple and Last Crusade, though? There's only a 3 year gap.

As Temple is a precursor to Raiders, I thought that might be good. Anyway I want to see a bit more of 'Mercenary' Indy too.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:26 AM   #8
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

I'm okay with prequels set in the 20s with a different actor.

Aside from that, if we're talking spin-offs, I'd watch the heck out of a Short Round series of films set in the 40s/50s! And if that were in Disney's future, you can bet they'd bring him back in Indy V first.
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
IndyForever
IndyFan

Nothing for at least 10 years after Indy 5. Its not like the franchise is even viable without Spielberg & Ford so let it go Indiana disney.
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Its not like the franchise is even viable without Spielberg & Ford so let it go Indiana disney.
That statement is utterly preposterous, matey.

FAIL.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
As Temple is a precursor to Raiders, I thought that might be good. Anyway I want to see a bit more of 'Mercenary' Indy too.

But why would you set a new movie sometime between 1935 and 1938? Assuming these movies are made every other year, the actor could make only 3-4 movies before he ages too much.
On the other hand, if you set the new movie sometime in the 1920s, movies may be set in the following years according to the actor's age.

Hopefully I made myself clear.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
But why would you set a new movie sometime between 1935 and 1938? Assuming these movies are made every other year, the actor could make only 3-4 movies before he ages too much.
On the other hand, if you set the new movie sometime in the 1920s, movies may be set in the following years according to the actor's age.

Hopefully I made myself clear.

Late 20’s to early 40’s is the perfect setting. I don’t think many people want to see Indiana Jones before his prime. We got that in a TV series which was cancelled. We want to see Indiana Jones like we saw him in the first 3 Ford films. Future films after Indy 5 should return the character to that era.

Although I would like to see Ford bookending the films with scenes of Indy in the 70’s.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Late 20ís to early 40ís is the perfect setting. I donít think many people want to see Indiana Jones before his prime. We got that in a TV series which was cancelled. We want to see Indiana Jones like we saw him in the first 3 Ford films.

Yeah, I agree with that as in that would be the smartest solution. But TheFedora suggested that these movies should be set between Temple and Last Crusade, meaning no earlier than 1935 and no further than 1938.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with that as in that would be the smartest solution. But TheFedora suggested that these movies should be set between Temple and Last Crusade, meaning no earlier than 1935 and no further than 1938.

I mean some can, but not all definetly. Thatís much too limiting. I mean thatís only 3 years of adventures! Lol
Old 04-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
I mean some can, but not all definetly. Thatís much too limiting. I mean thatís only 3 years of adventures! Lol

Okay okay yeah maybe I did limit it a bit to much in my suggestion of that time span. I'd say maybe a adventure or two could be set after last crusade for sure.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Okay okay yeah maybe I did limit it a bit to much in my suggestion of that time span. I'd say maybe a adventure or two could be set after last crusade for sure.

The 40ís is a great decade as well. I wish we would have gotten an Indiana Jones movie in the 90ís that was set in the 40ís. Iím sure Clint Eastwood would have played Indyís brother as Lucasfilm had wanted at one point.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

As I've stated in another thread, and based on Disney, Marshal, Spielberg and Ford's comments about "never" recasting, coupled with current trends in Hollywood, I think they'll introduce an African-American female academic peer / partner who will carry the franchise into the 70's. Maybe Harrison can be lured in to "launch" each mission as Marcus Brody did (but a much cooler / darker version of Marcus). Maybe the titles can all be "Indiana Jones presents: The ..." ( for example- "Indiana Jones presents: The Revenge of the Saucer Men") written in the same Indy font as always. The movies could have the same feel and formula as Harrison's and could begin to add and build other characters. For example, Indy's new partner in Indy 5 could then have a partner in her standalone movie that we could then go back in their timeline and pick up an adventure. This gives the studio all the "feel" of the Indy movies without worrying about fan reaction to a recast
OldIndy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #18
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIndy2323
As I've stated in another thread, and based on Disney, Marshal, Spielberg and Ford's comments about "never" recasting, coupled with current trends in Hollywood, I think they'll introduce an African-American female academic peer / partner who will carry the franchise into the 70's. Maybe Harrison can be lured in to "launch" each mission as Marcus Brody did (but a much cooler / darker version of Marcus). Maybe the titles can all be "Indiana Jones presents: The ..." ( for example- "Indiana Jones presents: The Revenge of the Saucer Men") written in the same Indy font as always. The movies could have the same feel and formula as Harrison's and could begin to add and build other characters. For example, Indy's new partner in Indy 5 could then have a partner in her standalone movie that we could then go back in their timeline and pick up an adventure. This gives the studio all the "feel" of the Indy movies without worrying about fan reaction to a recast

As cool as that sounds, those movies wonít make anywhere near what movies that star Indiana Jones as the main character could make. They would be leaving money on the table, big time. The newest Tomb Raider film made $270 million. Indy 4 made almost $800 million.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #19
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

I think the flashback / younger Indy formula will get a test run with SOLO in a few weeks. Audiences may not want to see a different actor in an iconic role so closely associated with one actor (which may have added to the lack of success of Young Indy Chronicles) And before the "Bond / Batman theory of rotating actors" is mentioned, Disney and all involved have said that they won't be re-booting Indy, so it only leaves flashback actors or moving the series on with other people. Steven Spielberg has already publicly said that "someone else" could lead the movies (even making an "Indiana Jane" joke)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #20
deepermagic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIndy2323
I think the flashback / younger Indy formula will get a test run with SOLO in a few weeks. Audiences may not want to see a different actor in an iconic role so closely associated with one actor (which may have added to the lack of success of Young Indy Chronicles) And before the "Bond / Batman theory of rotating actors" is mentioned, Disney and all involved have said that they won't be re-booting Indy, so it only leaves flashback actors or moving the series on with other people. Steven Spielberg has already publicly said that "someone else" could lead the movies (even making an "Indiana Jane" joke)

Yeah, this is why I started this thread. I don't see many viable options and I was trying to kick around something that I'd like to see given all the limitations.

What I outlined above isn't my ideal, but more like a shoehorn into something I'd conceivably enjoy without tarnishing the Indiana Jones legacy.

I'm already down on SOLO. Either route, flashback actors or others in the mold of Jones in the future, it's going to be a hard sell.
deepermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
Pale Horse

Build the whole film conflict and all, and then introduce Indy in the 3rd act.

I mean sell it as a completely different adventure film in the trailers, something totally unrelated to the franchise (sorry Stoo). Do all the marketing and amusement park tie-ins as a new direction for action and adventure, and then have him show up at the end, to 'rescue' the piece away.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #22
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Build the whole film conflict and all, and then introduce Indy in the 3rd act.

I mean sell it as a completely different adventure film in the trailers, something totally unrelated to the franchise (sorry Stoo). Do all the marketing and amusement park tie-ins as a new direction for action and adventure, and then have him show up at the end, to 'rescue' the piece away.

That just sounds ridiculous. Why bother having the character in at all? Also, can I ask why you have this animosity toward the character? It seems like it's at best a deep level of cynicism and a sense of almost betrayal or "doneness" regarding the franchise on your part. I'm not saying it as an attack, but it comes off at times like you just think the character is done to death and should be put out to pasture.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #23
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
That just sounds ridiculous. Why bother having the character in at all? Also, can I ask why you have this animosity toward the character? It seems like it's at best a deep level of cynicism and a sense of almost betrayal or "doneness" regarding the franchise on your part. I'm not saying it as an attack, but it comes off at times like you just think the character is done to death and should be put out to pasture.

Exactly. You canít ďsurpriseĒ the audience with Indiana Jones lol. It need to be an Indiana Jones film.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #24
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Also, can I ask why you have this animosity toward the character? It seems like it's at best a deep level of cynicism and a sense of almost betrayal or "doneness" regarding the franchise on your part.

It comes down to my feelings on storytelling.

Quote:
A character arc is the transformation or inner journey of a character over the course of a story. If a story has a character arc, the character begins as one sort of person and gradually transforms into a different sort of person in response to changing developments in the story.

There's little left to offer Henry Jones Jr. save his evident mortality. I don't think anyone will convincingly, realistically and maturely approach that, but if they did, I'd be ALL IN. He grew materially through TOD, spiritually though Raiders and emotionally in Crusade. He didn't do nothing or change at all in KotCS.

Quote:
...it comes off at times like you just think the character is done to death and should be put out to pasture.

I do. 100%. And if the storytellers are honest, they will to and do it in the best sort of way. (but they won't because it'll kill merchandising) So I'm completely cynical about it, because no one aside from Deadlock even has tried to be open to it.

Quote:
Exactly. You can’t “surprise” the audience with Indiana Jones lol. It need to be an Indiana Jones film.

Why? Films that break the mold usually do so with tremendous acclaim (Memento, Pulp Fiction, etc...), if done in the right way.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #25
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

Couldn't it be said that Indy gained a sense of "renewal" in KOTCS? He starts the movie (Marshall College sequence) kinda low and world-weary from the political troubles and the recent loss of his dad and Marcus. He's lost his "family". By the end of the movie, he has a new family and things are looking bright. Surely that's a cycle of growth. The new movie's theme will have to be the OFFICIAL passing of the torch to a new hero. And for Indy's mortality, Disney won't kill off Harrison Ford twice so it'll probably be more of a "I'm getting too old for this" revelation; with more "teeth" than the couple of "I'm too old" jokes in Crystal Skull.