General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Pale Horse

Staff member
Thread saved...

...by a technicality in the title, and a more esteemed mod. Now...where's that edit function button again?

Crack that whip

No one has any thoughts they'd care to post re: the question in my post above? I'd have thought it qualified as "possibilities," if nothing else...

Darth Vile

Crack that whip said:
This reminds me of a couple points that had occurred to me in different contexts - well, one opinion and one question, really. First, it seems to me that one way in which the two theatrical installments of this series that are generally regarded as the "lesser" ones differ from one another is that Temple of Doom pretty much succeeds at doing exactly what it sets out to do, but wasn't particularly narratively ambitious to start with, whereas Kingdom of the Crystal Skull aspires to and doesn't quite hit a somewhat loftier set of aspirations. If so, do we credit Doom and decry Skull for squarely hitting and not quite hitting their respective marks, or do we credit Skull and decry Doom for setting out greater and lesser goals to begin with? Personally, I'm fine with enjoying both for what they are, but then I'm kind of easygoing and forgiving that way (and inclined to be more so in the case of this series, I freely admit, since I just want to enjoy as much Indy as I can).

The other is a question I was thinking of giving its own thread (and probably will later), but I'll go ahead and mention it here since I think it's relevant to this line of discussion: what do we (and more general audiences) want or need from an Indy movie? Might we enjoy or appreciate a totally different sort of story - one that differed in style and tone not in the relatively limited way that the four extant movies differ from one another, but more along the lines of how very different some episodes of the TV show are from the movie series? What would people think of, say, a contemplative drama built around the character, as opposed to the pulp action-adventure we generally associate with him?

That's a very pragmatic view somewhat similar to my own...

Re. What do we want from an Indy movie? That's the million dollar question. I'm not sure we'd get a true consensus other than the obvious "good". I think the thing that springs to mind immediately when I think of Raiders is that it seemed completely different to anything else that was out there. It was fresh. It was new. I obviously wouldn't have articulated that in the same way when I was a wee young lad, but even then I did sense I was seeing something I'd not seen before (the only other comparable to me was Star Wars which had the same sense of wonder).

So I'd personally like to see an Indy movie being daring, brave and different from the rest... but that doesn't automatically equate to being "good" for the rest of the viewing public.

Indy's brother

Crack that whip said:
No one has any thoughts they'd care to post re: the question in my post above? I'd have thought it qualified as "possibilities," if nothing else...

Well for hardcore fans, an Indy 5 as more of a thoughtful character study with only a sprinkling of action to remind us that it's Indy could be fun, and also kicked in the 'nads by haters for years, (which admittedly is also fun in it's own way). Mainstream audiences would probably be alienated by it, I think. There is an expectation that the words "Indiana Jones" immediately conjure to the mind. Action & adventure, even if the character study that makes these events carry more weight is lost on the casual viewer. I could watch Indy dig a ditch for an hour and a half, personally. But I wouldn't expect everyone to be interested in watching Indy just talk through a full movie. After all, he's better as the laconic type, IMHO. It makes him more accessible, and we can project ourselves onto the character (as fans are prone to doing) more easily if he's not flapping his gums endlessly.

Crack that whip

Well, what if it weren't even really "sold" as "an Indy movie" - what if it had some title that didn't take the form "Indiana Jones and the Something-or-Other," and had trailers that didn't even mention the character's name? Suppose it were presented as a period drama starring Harrison Ford, directed by Steven Spielberg and conceived and produced by George Lucas, with music by John Williams but with nary a note of "The Raiders March" in the trailers - something casual moviegoers could conceivably not even realize was about Indiana Jones until they were five minutes into it on opening day...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Crack that whip said:
Well, what if it weren't even really "sold" as "an Indy movie" - what if it had some title that didn't take the form "Indiana Jones and the Something-or-Other," and had trailers that didn't even mention the character's name? Suppose it were presented as a period drama starring Harrison Ford, directed by Steven Spielberg and conceived and produced by George Lucas, with music by John Williams but with nary a note of "The Raiders March" in the trailers - something casual moviegoers could conceivably not even realize was about Indiana Jones until they were five minutes into it on opening day...

Apart from the difficulty of actually pulling off such a ruse, it seems like a drama about Indiana Jones would deal even more with the iconography and his name and so forth. A promotional strategy along those lines would also be dependent on not including the names of anyone else who held a key role in the film who'd already appeared in the franchise.

Crack that whip

I wasn't thinking of it as a "ruse," exactly - the interested parties would confirm the Indyness of the project in interviews and the like if asked. I was just thinking about a) how they'd go about it if they wanted to do a movie that was part of the same franchise, set in the same universe and all, yet a totally different type of movie, and b) how people would receive such a movie, and whether and how their reception might be affected by the presentation of same.

See, naturally if you make a movie with Indiana Jones in it, people are going to think of it as an Indiana Jones movie, and go into it with certain expectations, regardless of whether you're trying to meet those expectations or do something entirely different. If you want to use the character to tell other sorts of stories than the kind seen in the first four movies, that's potentially a problem. I just wonder whether there's any way it could be done viably...

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:

Too busy trying to save the thread to post anything on-topic! :p

Crack that whip said:
See, naturally if you make a movie with Indiana Jones in it, people are going to think of it as an Indiana Jones movie, and go into it with certain expectations, regardless of whether you're trying to meet those expectations or do something entirely different. If you want to use the character to tell other sorts of stories than the kind seen in the first four movies, that's potentially a problem. I just wonder whether there's any way it could be done viably...

KOTCS managed it, with Harrison conceivably playing Indy getting involved in the kind of action that the audience would expect from an Indiana Jones movie.

Harrison has always been older than the character (now that we know when Indy was born).

From the ages below, you can see that with every film the problem is being compounded:

ROTLA 1936: Indy: 37; Harrison: 39
TOD: 1935: Indy: 36; Harrison: 42
TLC 1938: Indy: 39; Harrison: 47
KOTCS 1957: Indy 58; Harrison: 66
Indy 5 1962: Indy: 63; Harrison: 71 ???

Unless a younger hero takes the lionm's share of the action, which would emasculate Indy, a future film will have to change style. As such it might alienate a big proportion of the audience who expect 'more of the same'.

There is one alternative: make the audience believe that Harrison actually is in his late fifties. Keep Indy tough and in control. Keep his resilience and determination. Let him fire his gun and use his bullwhip so that he doesn't have to run so much. Keep his steely glare and iron resolution, and force him to resort to his wits to survive. Let him out-think the opposition - as there are different ways of creating pace and tension for cliffhangers.

You might fool the audience for a little longer, into believing that this is a guy who's never going to give up.

Yet there will obviously come a time when he'll have to hang up his fedora. It would be interesting if Lucas and Spielberg could tone down the wildness, and put their minds to a story that could encompass suspense and a big dose of action. Indy won't need to sprint, leap or swing out of danger if you can see his brain working ten to the dozen formulating another plan of escape.

That's exactly what he did in Doom Town. The most exciting cliffhanger in KOTCS involved Indy racking his brains for a solution, before simply climbing inside a refrigerator. How's that for pure genius? :whip:

Last edited:

Darth Vile

I think there comes a point where you have to hold up your hands and say if they are going to change the formula... that much, then why not just make a different movie with a different character? I can definitely see Ford in an ageing tough man role a la True Grit, or as a non physical sensitive thinker a la Langdon in the Dan Brown books. But, minor deviations aside, why bend the character of Indiana Jones simply to suit Ford's age? Create a new character for Ford to play or revert to the more iconic persona of Indiana Jones, with a younger actor, would be my preference.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Matt deMille said:
It may not be much, but for those jonesing for a fifth Indy movie, I wrote script for one. It'll never get made, of course, but it can be a fun read and it has, I think, at least a few good ideas. Find it here:

http://www.mattdemille.com/scripts 02.htm

If you don't want to risk the time, here's a breakdown of it:
1) Sidekick: Sallah. It's a road movie about two good friends.
2) Teaser: Egypt, beneath the Sphinx.
3) Relic: Ancient city. Pre-Atlantean.
4) Lore: Mixes theories of Pangea, Atlantis, and the works of Graham Hancock and Edgar Cayce.
5) Theme: Unity and friendship.

I know this basic idea has been done in other fan-scripts, but I've got twenty years of research and study into this material so it's well based on true legends and archeology, thus giving Indy its requisite "feels reel" aspect.

So I don't know what happened to the old boy, but some of the ideas in the pages of his script he has available here are actually somewhat interesting. Hard to tell where they might lead, and some of the breakdown worries me about its potential to be the Bucket List of the Gods, but I'd take a look, if you hadn't before.

Montana Smith said:
Keep Indy tough and in control. Keep his resilience and determination. Let him fire his gun and use his bullwhip so that he doesn't have to run so much. Keep his steely glare and iron resolution, and force him to resort to his wits to survive. Let him out-think the opposition - as there are different ways of creating pace and tension for cliffhangers.

You might fool the audience for a little longer, into believing that this is a guy who's never going to give up.

Joe Johnston did a fine job of it with punt Steve Rogers in First Avenger.

He took a beating, he got the flag and it was very satisfying. Indy may not have much in the way of a top speed or vertical leap, but its not always necessary to be compelling and exciting. He's a marathon runner and a scrapper. Unfortunately these are charateristics they subdued in lieu of superpowers and spectacle.

Bring back the Indy we know. It's not too late.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
Joe Johnston did a fine job of it with punt Steve Rogers in First Avenger.

A dull, plastic film, sadly. I had high hopes for it but I think Johnston's lost his Rocketeer charm now.

Darth Vile

I actually managed to miss First Avenger in the cinema, but hoping to catch it on Blu Ray... Thought it got fairly positive reviews (and looked solid enough in trailers etc.), but I except that positive reviews don't automatically equate to "good".

Always thought The Rocketeer was listless, that Hidalgo was a vast improvement.

I like Captain America more and more with each viewing, (it's hardly perfect though).

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
The other is a question I was thinking of giving its own thread (and probably will later), but I'll go ahead and mention it here since I think it's relevant to this line of discussion: what do we (and more general audiences) want or need from an Indy movie? Might we enjoy or appreciate a totally different sort of story - one that differed in style and tone not in the relatively limited way that the four extant movies differ from one another, but more along the lines of how very different some episodes of the TV show are from the movie series? What would people think of, say, a contemplative drama built around the character, as opposed to the pulp action-adventure we generally associate with him?
Crack, in case you've haven't seen it, this thread might interest you: Hitchcockian Indy V.

Personally, I'd like to see Spielberg do an Ingmar Bergman-ish film with Indy 5 using a Jean-Paul Sartre "Huis Clos"-type of situation. Indy, Marion and Fayah in a room together with no doors or windows. Marion loves Indy. Indy wants Fayah. Fayah lusts for Marion. Around and around it goes...

"Indiana Jones and the Perpetual Hell".
Attila the Professor said:
So I don't know what happened to the old boy, but some of the ideas in the pages of his script he has available here are actually somewhat interesting. Hard to tell where they might lead, and some of the breakdown worries me about its potential to be the Bucket List of the Gods, but I'd take a look, if you hadn't before.
Very likely he got picked up by his alien friends and was whisked away into the space between spaces.:eek:
Darth Vile said:
I actually managed to miss First Avenger in the cinema, but hoping to catch it on Blu Ray... Thought it got fairly positive reviews (and looked solid enough in trailers etc.), but I except that positive reviews don't automatically equate to "good".
I actually managed to miss breakfast this morning but am hoping to catch some later in the week.

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
I actually managed to miss breakfast this morning but am hoping to catch some later in the week.
Got mine courstesy of business/first class this morning... Nothing quite like breakfast in style. :D

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
I could watch Indy dig a ditch for an hour and a half, personally.
Same here, Indy's bro'. Digging a ditch, stuck in traffic, whatever. I would also watch Indy eating a plate of bacon.(y)
Darth Vile said:
Got mine courstesy of business/first class this morning... Nothing quite like breakfast in style. :D
:D Hope you drank the complimentary bottle of water, Darthy. First class, business or economy, ALL airline meals contain a high level of salt.

Speaking of flying...For Indy 5, all they have to do is resurrect the story for the unproduced, Young Indy episode, "Stockholm, December 1909". Bring it out of the mothballs to give us something DIFFERENT: Indy shrinks down to 5 inches high and flies around on the back of a goose à la Nils Holgersson.

If the audience won't accept a 5-inch-high Indy, then maybe he could fly around on the back of something like this:

nils_holgersson_airlines_440%20(1).JPG

Indy's brother

replican't said:
Here's an idea, Lucas: set it in the 1980s:

On a serious note: have a look at the pictures of Ford and the general tone of this article here. Do you really think an Indy 5 would be anything other than risible?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ergetic-day-playing-football-adopted-son.html

I don't know if this is "I'm not working out right now" Ford, or if this is just him actually looking his age. After all, I was pretty impressed with how great he looked in KOTCS after seeing how haggard he looked in Firewall 2 years earlier. Either way, it's crunch time, for sure. I'm not one of those "If they don't make it by ____, it's over" types, but even if they are going to do a tastefully age-appropriate grizzled-Indy flick....it's gotta be on the table being actively planned. As in "while I am typing this".